Help with points/cash cruise prices

karen4546

DIS Veteran
Has anyone looked into the 35% discount when using points and cash for DVC members?

Chat cast member said I had to call to get pricing and I can certainly do that. But, is there a price list somewhere with the discounted rate that can be accessed here on the DIS?

Has anyone looked into the 35% discount when using points and cash for DVC members?

Chat cast member said I had to call to get pricing and I can certainly do that. But, is there a price list somewhere with the discounted rate that can be accessed here on the DIS?
DVC cash rates for cruises are not published. You have to call.

I booked a 3-night on the Dream out of Miami for early May.
Mid-ship veranda room on Deck 6
Points 1st person - 79
Cash 2nd person - $771 including the $95 transfer fee.

Last edited:

Never a good value to use points for DCL.
You better rent out your points (or transfer) and then pay for the cruise by cash.
I am probable one of the few people on this board that will tell you that it can be a good use of points, but there are limitations to those times:

1. If you bought your points early in DVC (before '02). I have found in my research that after '02, the price per point that DVC charged does not fit well when converting to DCLs prices.
2. You do not want to bother with renting points nor can stomach the possible problems that renting can encounter.
3. If you have points that will go to waste if not used and you do not want to deal with renting.

I have taken 9 DCLs, 4 of them paid for all on points and on 4 at least one person on DVC points, and on two of those eight used points to book multiple rooms. The one time I paid cash for a room the price was $100 per person per day.

I find that with my DVC points and the price I paid for them back in '93 & '98 (paid within $1 for all of my points), that when taking in all the things on a DCL it can be a good value:
international travel
ship
recreation
entertainment
port taxes
food

When compared to a DVC stay at one of the WDW resorts you still pay OOP for:
entertainment
food
parks
and you do not get the international travel

Last edited:

If there is any chance of needing to push your cruise back or reschedule, using points is a hot mess.

I booked a 3-night on the Dream out of Miami for early May.
Mid-ship veranda room on Deck 6
Points 1st person - 79
Cash 2nd person - $771 including the $95 transfer fee.
I think that’s very good.

There definitely are problems if you have to rebook, though.

As far as renting your points, I was very frustrated last year trying to rent. I never was able to be the one to get back to be the first to rent. It had been different pre Covid as I remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter