Help with GAC and possible scooter rental

aimeeg

DIS Veteran
Recently I tore the meniscus in my knee. It's been a pretty miserable injury. Since I have been favoring one leg over the other I have developed some back issues. I had horrible sciatica during my pregnancies and it has reared it's ugly head again.

I have issues standing for long periods of time and stairs. The 45 minute wait for Santa at the mall practically crippled me. I had to hunch over to give my back some relief and I was in tears most of the time. We are scheduled to leave for WDW at the end of January. Canceling at this point is not an option.

My goal is to have a good plan that makes sure we are not crisscrossing the parks but touring in an organized pattern. I was thinking of asking for a GAC but don't know much about them. Is this something that would help me?

I am also considering renting a scooter. It's really the last thing I want to do. I'd like to keep this as a back up option and possibly just for Epcot. Any tips?

My girls are 5 and 7. They enjoy all the "typical" little girl things at WDW. They love meeting characters. I want to make sure that my issues will not effect their vacation.

Thanks!!

Hi! It's Piper.

First read through the FAQs at the top of this thread. It will give you a lot of information. I would also suggest that you rent from an outside vender. That way, you will have the ECV all the time and it is also much cheaper. Also the ECVs are easier to drive than WDWs.

Will you be part of the DisBoutique group? If so, I know they will give you lots of help. When I last rented, I used Apple. It was cheaper than the others and I got good service.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I will help if I can!

I would rent a scooter - the GAC really isn't what you really need. you need to stay off your feet for long periods of time & that is a scooter

rent the scooter & enjoy your trip - if standing in a line for Santa for 45 minutes hurt you, what to do you think waiting on the princeness, Mickey & friends then waiting in lines is going to do

I hope you get feeling better soon

Get a ECV from an outside vendor. A GAC isn't going to make the distances any shorter nor will it provide a seat when there isn't one. If you want to walk a bit, you can park the ecv and walk around.

Disney's suggestion for stamina or mobility issues is to use a wheelchair or scooter. Some of the lines for attractions are extremely long (Soarin' comes to mind) plus a GAC will not shorten waits for food, characters, or the distance between areas.

Hi!! Last year I fell down the stairs and sprained/broke my ankle. 1 month before our Disney trip. After walking around in denial for weeks I realized a scooter was my only choice. I rented from Apple Scooters and it was wonderful. I was in a knee high removable, ginormous walking boot. I could walk on it, but not long distances and standing in it was miserable as my legs were 2 different lengths b/c of the boot. So I understand the back pain issue.

My first few days in the parks I rode my scooter everywhere and walked and stood in line. I was sore and tired. Some of those lines are long and unlevel and it was just rough. But I was always told to park my scooter and get in line, so I did.

When we got to Hollywood studios (we always asked for up front parking b/c I couldn't get the scooter on the tram. Not handicapped, just as close as we could get which you may want to do if you're driving). There was a wonderful attendant who told me I should have a GAC, it would make explaining my parking needs easier and might help with line waits.

I went to Guest services and explained what he had said to the girl in the booth. She was beside herself upset, telling me the card wasn't going to help me at all, what was his name (I conveniently forgot it, I wasn't throwing that nice man under the bus) and reluctantly gave me the card, all the while lecturing me about abusing it. I was injured, and on a scooter and I felt so belittled. The card said I could use the handicap entrance to get into attractions. I didn't request anything, just explained how painful it had been to stand in line, was there a way I could rest and still hold my place in line. She was so nasty, I should have written a letter.

Anyway, that card was a lifesaver. Before I was told to park my scooter and get in line, now I was allowed to ride my scooter in line. Some rides I went in the handicap entrance on my scooter, others the regular on my scooter. The ride I appreciated it the most was Big thunder! That Queue is all uphill and sheer torture on a broken ankle. I did have to wait a while in the handicap line but I didn't mind at all b/c I was sitting and pain free.

Get the scooter and the GAC. It will help you when you need to stay on it in line. Even in my giant boot no cast member offered me the alternative line or waiting space. Until I had the card.

I didn't abuse it. I was injured and sore and miserable until we had it. I tried to tour without it. It sounds like you'll need it with your pain and line issues.

Again, I still waited in line, I'm not saying you won't. But I did it sitting which made such a huge difference in my pain levels.

Good luck!!

Character meet and greets are really no better than standing in line for Santa. Although you are moving and not just standing all the time some ride queues can take a while. Waiting for parades and fireworks can be painful, too.

If you want your girls to have the most fun you don't want to be in pain. Your days will be longer if you use a scooter and therefore the cost is made up basically from getting more use out of your park tickets. You really don't want to be taking too many pain meds either; it could affect you negatively.

Scooters are allowed in the mainstreamed ride lines in most instances; you don't need a GAC to do it. When possible you can use the handicap ride queues, too. Scooters get handicap access automatically including parades and fireworks.

Renting a scooter off site is usually the way to go for two reasons: much cheaper and you have it with you everywhere including the resort. You are responsible for charging the battery each night; this is not hard. If you stay on Disney property you usually have to bring the scooter into your room. The portable travel scooters come apart usually into 5 pieces. They can fit into many cars, but not all cars. If busing it to the parks it can be a little frustrating at first to get on and off the buses, as well as, parking it into position on the bus. You'll get the hang of it. You can go to a local merchant who handles mobility scooters and they will demostrate how it all works and they will even let you take it apart to fit in the car's trunk.

Just so you know Animal Kingdom is actually the largest park at Disney; it's 5X bigger than MK.

If you really do want to walk at times you can park the scooter in a safe place and then go back to the scooter. For most restaurants you park the scooter. For many restrooms you park the scooter. Gift shops are not too scooter friendly. Living with the Land in Epcot is probably the hardest place to use a scooter in the parks. It's always crowded there and you need to use an elevator for the scooter to get down to the Soarin' ride level.

A GAC alone will not help much with standing/mobility issues. Disney's answer for this situation is a scooter/wheelchair.

You'll get over any stigmas about scootering when you are pain free.

You don't need a GAC to use a wheelchair or ECV in lines or to use an entrance without stairs with a cast, cane or other visible disability.
To require one would be a violation of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I can explain a little more about what happened to the poster who said they needed a GAC to use the ECV in line.

When CMs see a rented ECV or wheelchair, they assume you can walk and tell you where to park it. In most cases, people do just that because they think that is what they are supposed to do. Most people don't question it and just assume ECVs can't be brought into line and they will need to walk.
This is not actually true though. If you tell the CM that you need the ECV in line, it can be brought into most lines without a GAC. Some lines are not ECV accessible, but all are wheelchair accessible.

There is a special park map for each park that lists the 'Mobility Entrances' for each attraction. In many cases, it is the regular entrance. You can get a map in the map kiosk at the park entrance or at Guest Relations.
Guests do not need a GAC to use any of those entrances with a wheelchair - all are wheelchair accessible.
Some are not ECV accessible, but those do have an attraction wheelchair. Guests with ECVs who can't walk in line need to let the CM know they need a wheelchair to use in line before parking their ECV.
See post 11 in the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more information.
The GAC the previous poster got just said they were allowed to use the lines that they could have used without it (so there was no abuse).

If a CM says you can't bring a wheelchair or ECV into line where the map says to enter for mobility, just showing the map usually is all it takes. If there is any more problem, ask for a supervisor.
A GAC card that says the guest can use the accessible entrances does nothing more than having the ECV or wheelchair itself.
They do try to not give those cards out to guests with ECVs and wheelchairs. Because guests don't need them to use those entrances, when someone shows one to use the mobility entrances, it confuses CMs. Some start to expect someone using an ECV in line to have one.
By showing the special park map or talking to an attraction supervisor, the incorrect behavior of a CM will get corrected. Using a GAC when not needed just reinforces the wrong behavior.

Definitely rent the scooter. You will be miserable and in pain if you try and walk. There's no shame in scooting around when you're injured!

When you get to an attraction, in addition to what Sue said, most CM's will ask "Are you able to walk ____ feet", "Can you transfer on a moving sidewalk?" or "are you able to stand for a short period of time?". If the answer is no, just be honest! They won't keep you off of the ride- they'll slow/stop the moving sidewalk (on all but 2 rides), provide you with a manual WC to take through queues that are not designed to allow an ECV through (there will be a transfer to wheelchair icon on the park map) etc.

You don't need a GAC to use a wheelchair or ECV in lines or to use an entrance without stairs with a cast, cane or other visible disability.
To require one would be a violation of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I can explain a little more about what happened to the previous poster.

When CMs see a rented ECV or wheelchair, they assume you can walk and may just tell you where to park it. (Most guests are not asked to park unless that line is not accessible to ECVs).
In most cases, people do just that because they think that is what they are supposed to do. Most people don't question it and just assume ECVs can't be brought into ANY line and they will need to walk. At the next attraction, they just go to the parking area or ask a CM where to park because they think they need to park.
This is not actually true though. If you are asked to park the ECV and tell the CM that you need the ECV in line, it can be brought into most lines without a GAC. Some lines are not ECV accessible, but all are wheelchair accessible.
For those lines that are not ECV accessible, having a GAC will not allow the ECV into lines, and a GAC is not needed to switch from an ECV to an attraction wheelchair. Guests just need to ask.

There is a special park map for each park that lists the 'Mobility Entrances' for each attraction. In many cases, it is the regular entrance. You can get a map in the map kiosk at the park entrance or at Guest Relations.
Guests do not need a GAC to use any of those entrances with a wheelchair - all are wheelchair accessible.
Some are not ECV accessible, but those do have an attraction wheelchair. Guests with ECVs who can't walk in line need to let the CM know they need a wheelchair to use in line before parking their ECV.
See post 11 in the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more information.

The regular park maps actually have an icon that tells how the line is accessible ( there is also a sign outside each attraction). A wheelchair icon by itself means the line is wheelchair and ECV accessible.
A wheelchair icon with a person getting out of the wheelchair means the line is accessible, but all guests need to transfer to a ride car.
An ECV icon with a person getting out and getting into a wheelchair means the line is accessible to wheelchair, but not ECVs and a person using an ECV will need to transfer to a wheelchair if they can't walk/stand in line.

If a CM says you can't bring a wheelchair or ECV into line where the map says to enter for mobility, just showing the map usually is all it takes. If there is any more problem, ask for a supervisor.
A GAC card that says the guest can use the accessible entrances does nothing more than having the ECV or wheelchair itself.
They do try to not give those cards out to guests with ECVs and wheelchairs Because guests don't need them to use those entrances, when someone shows one to use the mobility entrances, it confuses CMs. Some start to refuse using an ECV in line without one.
By showing the special park map or talking to an attraction supervisor, the incorrect behavior of a CM will get corrected. Using a GAC when not needed just reinforces the wrong behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter