• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with FP and rider switch

Klac

Earning My Ears
I keep getting conflicting info on this. We will be traveling with 2 adults, 2 kids over 40" and 15 month old twins. Does everyone need to have a FP to use rider swap? For example can DH and DS FP splash and ride it, while DD and myself wait and then use rider swap. Then could I do the same thing with Thunder so DD and myself FP it while the other two wait, then they ride it using rider swap. Is this how it works?

Also could I do this same scenario at EPcot with TT and soaring? Someone said it was bending the rules cause they are both tier one?

I'm very confused and don't want to waste two FP if I can use rider swap instead. Thanks!

Everyone who is riding needs FP, otherwise you have to use standby line. It's the same with or without rider swap. If there are 4 of you riding xyz attraction all 4 need FPs.

I have been going 2x a year, and haven't heard of being able to book both TT & Sorin together at FP booking time. We booked our FPs for August and still unable to book 2 attractions in tier 1. What we do is book either one for 10:00 but get to park at rope drop and ride the other using standby line.

Last edited:
I did it in 2013.. we where 4.2 adults , one 48 inch and one 39 inch.. Dit FP for Test track for one adult and one child.. after we use child swap WITHOUT using 2 other FP. (48 inch did it again with the other adult) then. make FP for soarin for the other adult and the other child (that was not tall enough to do soarin) I switch the MB frrom my 39 inch to my 48 inch. the 2 people that have fp dit soarin, and after my 48 inch again with the other adult on child swap, again..for the second ride, did not use another 2 FP.

I keep getting conflicting info on this. We will be traveling with 2 adults, 2 kids over 40" and 15 month old twins. Does everyone need to have a FP to use rider swap? For example can DH and DS FP splash and ride it, while DD and myself wait and then use rider swap. Then could I do the same thing with Thunder so DD and myself FP it while the other two wait, then they ride it using rider swap. Is this how it works?

Also could I do this same scenario at EPcot with TT and soaring? Someone said it was bending the rules cause they are both tier one?

I'm very confused and don't want to waste two FP if I can use rider swap instead. Thanks!

I think you are correct in your thinking. It's exactly how we used rider swap in the past. Although, with legacy fp, not fp+. You are utilizing a service that Disney is offering, to your advantage. There is nothing wrong with what you're proposing and I would do the same if ours were under the height requirements.

Look at it this way, you are probably limited with the amount of time you can spend in a park because of the 15 month olds. Take advantage of every short cut you can to maximize the experiences for your other 2 children. It'd be silly not to. I would definitely have 1 adult and 1 child fp test track while the other fp soarin and rider swap both.

Have a clear conscience and a great trip.

Here my experience of FP+ and ride switch last week. We were two adults, 1 kid over 44'' (5yo) and 1 kid at 35'' (2yo so no FP+).

Example 1: I booked FP+ for DH and DD5 for Splash. Went with them at the FP entrance and asked for a rider switch. Meanwhile I went with DD3 to the little playground between Splash and BTMR. When finished I took the rider switch card from DH and went to Splash with DD5 thru the FP+ entrance to ride it again.

Example 2: I booked FP+ for myself and DD5 for 7MDT and FP+ for DH at It's A Small World. He came with me at the FP+ so we could get a rider switch then went to IASW with DD2 while I rode 7DMT with oldest. After we met at the carousel and he went to do 7DMT with DD5. He never had a FP+ for it and wasn't a problem.

For Epcot, you could book 1 FP+ for you (adult #1) and 1 kid over 40'' (kid #1) for TT. Bring the twins at FP+ entrance with other parent and ask for rider switch so the other adult (adult #2) can ride with both tall kids (kid #1 and 2) after you're done. For adult #2 and kid #2 you book Soarin'. Same thing, you bring the twins at entrance and ask for a rider switch. After adult #2 is done with the ride, adult #1 does the ride with kids #1 and #2.

When we went to Epcot I didn't use that strategy because we only had one kid over 40'' and DH didn't want to ride alone. Therefore I booked a Soarin' FP+ for me and DD early evening. At rope drop DH went to TT with DD5 and did it and Mission:Space while I went to Nemo and Figment with youngest. In the evening I rode Soarin' with oldest while DH had a FP+ for Living with the Land to go with DD2. Then DD5 decided she preferred to go back to Test Track rather than see Illuminations so with DH she waited 70 minutes (we asked for a rider switch at entrance of standing line). Just before closing I used the rider switch with DD5 so she did TT a total of 3 times with a cumulative wait of approximately 90 minutes. Not bad for July.

This is what someone told me to do.

Break our party up into two (say my ODD and me and my DH and YDD). My DS is the under height one. Me and my ODD get FPs for Space Mtn and my DH and YDD get FPs for SDMT. we all walk up to SDMT, get RS for DS. DH and YDD ride MT and I wait with ODD and DS. They come back and then I ride MT with my ODD using the RS. For Space we can switch off, both parent taking my ODD since the other two are too short.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter