• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with choosing a medicare part b plan--AARP?

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
I need some help. I'm trying to assist my mother with choosing a medicare part b plan because it's time for her to enroll, she is not really able to help choose for herself so it is falling to me and I am really out of my league! Wow is this confusing! I did some looking and there are 6 plans available to her through AARP/United Healthcare based on where we live. Anyone have one of these plans? Are they any good?

If the United Healthcare plans are no good, do you have anything you can recommend? We live in PA. My mother is not elligible for any low income plans, she has not retired yet. Is there some agency I can contact for advice?

All plans from one company to the next are the same. A plan F from UHC is the same as a plan F from Blue Cross, etc. A plan G from Aetna is the same as a plan G from Humana.

I find plan G the most most comprehensive for the money. It has identical benefits as the more common plan F in past years except does not cover the Part B annual deductible. However, you will find the annual premium for plan G to be quite a bit less than the Part B deductible that she would pay.

Confused you more?

(not to be taken as insurance advice)

All plans from one company to the next are the same. A plan F from UHC is the same as a plan F from Blue Cross, etc. A plan G from Aetna is the same as a plan G from Humana.

I find plan G the most most comprehensive for the money. It has identical benefits as the more common plan F in past years except does not cover the Part B annual deductible. However, you will find the annual premium for plan G to be quite a bit less than the Part B deductible that she would pay.

Confused you more?

(not to be taken as insurance advice)
Yes!!! what is with the alphabet soup? Are there actually plans more than A, B, and D? Oh my heck.

Part A covers hospital and post hospital nursing home. Part B covers doctor expenses. Part D cover prescription medicines.

Medicare supplement plans, A-N cover what Medicare A and B do not cover.

Supplements....

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/how-to-compare-medigap-policies
https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/whats-medicare-supplement-insurance-medigap
https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/your-medicare-coverage-choices/whats-medicare
Aww crap, looks like I have some more research to do. Thanks!

Aww crap, looks like I have some more research to do. Thanks!
Say this over in your head a number of times. It helps to make it more clear.....

Part A covers hospital and post hospital nursing home. Part B covers doctor expenses. Part D cover prescription medicines.

Medicare supplement plans, A-N cover what Medicare A and B do not cover.

Still though, if anyone has the AARP plan let me know if you like it or hate it.

I have the AARP Medicare supplement plan F and I love it. I haven't paid a penny for anything medical (just the monthly supplement payment) since I got it 3 1/2 years ago. They don't have the Plan G, only the Plan F (which is what I have). I remember hearing that G was more cost-effective, but AARP seems fine. Also, you can go to the website "www.medicare.gov" to compare plans, and you can call a few to ask questions to get a "feel" for their customer service. AARP was so nice and not pushy. One other asked me "Don't you have just10 minutes to sign up NOW?" when I told them I'd think about it, can't decide right now. Also, be careful that you get the government"s Medicare website. Others may have similar names, but be fronts for other companies trying to sell you their plan.

Social Security 'gives' your mom Part A. Your mom pays for Part B through a Social Security deduction.

Your mom selects a supplement, A-N, from an insurance company. Plan to plan is the same company to company. Only the premiums may be different, though typically slightly, it is a very competitive marketplace.

For Part D, she/you should go to and follow the steps there https://www.medicare.gov/drug-coverage-part-d .

AARP is fine. They underwrite with United Healthcare, a fine company.
When you originally replied I thought you were messing with me with all those letters. Sadly I now realize it IS that complicated! Oy! But thanks for the help :)

I assume she is just turning 65. If she is still working and has health insurance she might be able to continue with that.
You asked about the part b plan. Part A pays hospital bills. Part B is what pays 80 % of doctors, tests , shots and other things. It is deducted from her SS checks each month if she is on SS.
The alphabet plans cover the expenses not covered in Part B. The plans are exactly the same no matter who you purchase from. However the premiums can vary.
Part D is for prescription drugs and is separate from the other parts.

The other choice is advantage plans Often called Advantage plans which cover everything. They are HMOs and are usually less expensive. Kaiser Permanentee is the most famous.

Call AARP for advice. Also the HR at her work may have some info. You can call SS also.

If she is in good health the plan G high deductible is a good choice. The premiums are a lot less than the regular G.
The difference in premiums each month adds up to about the same as the deductible. The good part is if she has less than about $10000 In bills ( not hospital) she will come out ahead. We have had the for 9 years and we have each come out ahead every year except 1. I usually am over $1000 ahead and DH is usually a little under $ 1000 ahead.

The other choice is advantage plans Often called Advantage plans which cover everything. They are HMOs and are usually less expensive. Kaiser Permanentee is the most famous.
If a Medicare Advantage plan is available in your area, that would be the way I would go
United Healthcare is the largest provider of Medicare Advantage Plans. I can only find one state they are not in. Kaiser is only in 8 states. My mom had Secure Horizons which is United Healthcare, with a supplement that cost $90. She was hospitalized with cancer and then a stroke, spent 2 months in the hospital and rehab before moving into a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly. I paid a total of $500 for medical care over the 13 months she was ill. And that $500 was because the local fire department charged $250 each for two ambulance transports. The two ambulance trips she had in a private (for profit) ambulance, the provider accepted the Medicare payment as full payment. To be clear, her insurance paid all her medical expenses when in the Residential Care Facility for the Elderly, but nothing for the room and board in the facility. Her long term care insurance paid $3,800 of the $4,200 monthly fee.

I have an AARP plan that I have been very happy with. I used an independent medical insurance person who presented info from many different companies. Ultimately because I trust AARP I felt most comfortable with their F policy. I have had many large medical bills that have always been covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter