• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP WITH BATHROOM REMODEL

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
We have a 9 foot by 5 foot small secondary bathroom we would like to remodel. It's all builder original. White square tiles on floor and in shower, short/ugly vanity, etc. Just had a contractor give me an estimate and would like to share with you all the cost and ask if this sounds right. I know cost will differ from area to area, but generally I think it should be in the general ballpark. The price he gave me was $8000. That does not include tile, tube, faucet, light fixtures, trim for can light, mirror, exhaust and paint. So, for the most part it seems to be labor but he did put in his estimate: $800 for vanity and install of, and &650 for granite countertop & install of (that was included in the $8000).
TIA

We did a refurb on all our bathrooms a couple years back. Our huge master bathroom was brought down to the studs (kept drywall) and put back together with new tile, new granite on both sink areas, new jacuzzi tub, new tiled glass doored shower, new cabinets, etc for $11,000. That included labor and demo also.

We did two smaller baths with new tubs, tile, cabinets, tiled showers, etc for about $6000 each. Also included labor and demo.

We are in metro Atlanta.

Oh, painting and new framed mirrors were also included, as was new lighting and fixtures.

All the contractors we got bids from referred to our 5 x 9 bathrooms as "standard sized".
The bids ran from $7,000 to $11,000 per bathroom. The $11,000 included a bathtub sized shower surround made of Corian, which was $5,000 for just the Corian.

I have no idea of cost, but what I would do is buy what I wanted for the bathroom, weather it be a new toilet , or vanity or mirrors, or even tile. You get the idea. Then I would get estimates for how much for the work. And if I felt overwhelmed at the cost of stuff. I would buy a few things at a time as I could afford it. This way your taking the most of some costly things for a contracter to do. As I am sure he includes the cost for going and buying the material things as well. But that is just me. I am throwing out and idea at you.

My in laws recently renovated a similar sized bathroom. The contractor charged about $7500 but they had to purchase all the fixtures/tile themselves like tub, toilet, vanity, counter, mirrors lights etc. All in they spent about $10k.

That's in the ballpark it seems. My folks are doing a bathroom remodel soon of a similar size and we're quoted $7k for labor not including any fixtures and not even doing a real tile floor (vinyl). They were shocked...expected about half of that cost.

We did a refurb on all our bathrooms a couple years back. Our huge master bathroom was brought down to the studs (kept drywall) and put back together with new tile, new granite on both sink areas, new jacuzzi tub, new tiled glass doored shower, new cabinets, etc for $11,000. That included labor and demo also.

We did two smaller baths with new tubs, tile, cabinets, tiled showers, etc for about $6000 each. Also included labor and demo.

We are in metro Atlanta.

Oh, painting and new framed mirrors were also included, as was new lighting and fixtures.
That is a great price. Can you tell me who you used? I live in Georgia, close to Atlanta.

A gal pal just redid her master bedroom, really just a re-do on closet and bathroom, She had all the contractors come the same day to bid. So they were coming and going seeing that they were not the only game in town. They did the demo which saved quite a lot. They did a facelift on existing cabinets and counter tops to granite with double sinks, which she had bought, they had left over tile and granite from the kitchen gut 2 years ago for the floor and counters.. they over ordered on purpose so they would have it to use, as they got a better price when they order the amount they did. Took out the tub created a huge shower, with fancy jets, rain shower heads ( which they bought ahead of time) and a bench. They bought the light fixtures ahead of time. They expanded the walk-in closet and did the closet system themselves which was a huge savings. They went with a contractor that did all the work himself and his crew no subbing it out to others. They stayed on budget and time frame. She found him through Angie's list or that other site. 10,000 was the budget....there was a hiccup with the drains which lead to some plumbing issue and she fell in love with a super costly tile for the shower itself which added another 1,500 for both unseen items... but basic budget was adhered to for the remodel itself.

Get lots and lots of estimates, then do your home work on each of them, the revisit them with other questions or any changes you have or might have. Then make the decision.

I live in Westchester county NY my husband is s contractor and the bid is in line with what my husbands usually charges for a bathroom of that size. Our bids include materials such as new waterproof sheet rock , sub- floor shower pan etc and all labor including installation of all fixtures, lights , mirrors, trim , vanities, demo and disposal etc. What is not included we don't supply tile, toilets, tubs,vanities, towel bars etc these the home owner buys and supplies.

We are currently smack in the middle of bathroom renovations. The 'main bath' off the hallway (the one the kids used for years) was done first, and now they are working on the master bath. Both rooms were original builder grade materials, almost 21 years old.

For the main bath we didn't move any plumbing or electric. Gut all fixtures (shower/tub, toilet, vanity, floor) to the studs. New tub, new tile surround (to the ceiling), new tile floor, new vanity and granite top with undermount sink. Semi-frameless shower doors as well. We had to pay separately for vanity, granite, tile and shower doors. The contractor logically explained that these are considered 'personal choice' items and its far easier for him to estimate his costs for demo and labor than to provide allowances for fixtures. I was asked to choose Moen faucets/shower fixtures as that was his preferred valve control. Included in his price was anything in chrome; other finishes would have an upcharge. His contract price for this space was $8800 and all in we spent $12,000. We are absolutely thrilled with the results.

Our master is a different story. This remodel includes electric and plumbing changes as we removed the big soaking tub (aka dust receptacle) and reworking that space into a MUCH bigger shower...overall about 24-25 square feet. All the plumbing for the tub had to be moved and re-worked for the shower, and the old shower lines cut and capped. We are going from one light fixture over the double vanity to two fixtures since we're getting a 'tower cabinet' in between the two sinks. In addition, there is a 2ftx5ft window that will end up in the shower; that window is being replaced with a custom acrylic glass block privacy window designed for a wet location. All new tile, fixed shower head plus a hand-held on a slide bar, new overhead lighting above the shower (recessed LEDs) that will be on a dimmer switch. Once again, we are responsible for tile, vanity and granite costs. Frameless shower glass will be installed but I have a $1000 allowance for that and shouldn't go over. Contractor bid $25k, all in we expect to hit $30k.

For both bathrooms, contractor price included new toilets. For the main bath, it included the new tub as well. All material disposal costs are included (matter of fact, there's a dumpster parked in my driveway right now).

There may be some who think the price is excessive. I can tell you that for me, its worth every penny. My builder is amazing...he is on top of every detail and keeps me informed every step of the way. He deals with his own sub-contractors who are amazing, he handles all the permit and inspection details. He's earned our trust and now carries a key to our house so we can go about our day at work without interruption. He texts or calls me at the end of each day to update the progress and give me the plan for the next day. Dropcloths are every where while they work, and at the end of the day the carpets on the stairs and second floor are vacuumed...every day. They sweep the garage and driveway every day.

Last edited:
That is a great price. Can you tell me who you used? I live in Georgia, close to Atlanta.

We used lexum restoration and were super pleased with them. They also did a huge job for my sister in Alpharetta - finishing out her basement.

Unfortunately, they went out of business. You might could google them to see if they are in business under a different name.

That seems in line with the norm. We spent $15,000 on our bathroom remodel. Standard bathroom, we provided fixtures, tile, vanity, paint, and even some of the materials (grout, mortar, etc). Cost included the tub and the new Corian surround which was a large part of the total. I thought we overpaid but it's done now and I learned a few things about dealing with contractors.

We used lexum restoration and were super pleased with them. They also did a huge job for my sister in Alpharetta - finishing out her basement.

Unfortunately, they went out of business. You might could google them to see if they are in business under a different name.
Thank you

Thanks for this thread! We have a powder room and a master bath that need to be re-done and after spending more than I wanted for our new house (DH fell in love with it...of course he doesn't live in the master bath like I do ;),) now I have an idea of how much I'll need to save to bring our bathrooms up to standard. Bottom line= lots :)

We are currently smack in the middle of bathroom renovations. The 'main bath' off the hallway (the one the kids used for years) was done first, and now they are working on the master bath. Both rooms were original builder grade materials, almost 21 years old.

For the main bath we didn't move any plumbing or electric. Gut all fixtures (shower/tub, toilet, vanity, floor) to the studs. New tub, new tile surround (to the ceiling), new tile floor, new vanity and granite top with undermount sink. Semi-frameless shower doors as well. We had to pay separately for vanity, granite, tile and shower doors. The contractor logically explained that these are considered 'personal choice' items and its far easier for him to estimate his costs for demo and labor than to provide allowances for fixtures. I was asked to choose Moen faucets/shower fixtures as that was his preferred valve control. Included in his price was anything in chrome; other finishes would have an upcharge. His contract price for this space was $8800 and all in we spent $12,000. We are absolutely thrilled with the results.

Our master is a different story. This remodel includes electric and plumbing changes as we removed the big soaking tub (aka dust receptacle) and reworking that space into a MUCH bigger shower...overall about 24-25 square feet. All the plumbing for the tub had to be moved and re-worked for the shower, and the old shower lines cut and capped. We are going from one light fixture over the double vanity to two fixtures since we're getting a 'tower cabinet' in between the two sinks. In addition, there is a 2ftx5ft window that will end up in the shower; that window is being replaced with a custom acrylic glass block privacy window designed for a wet location. All new tile, fixed shower head plus a hand-held on a slide bar, new overhead lighting above the shower (recessed LEDs) that will be on a dimmer switch. Once again, we are responsible for tile, vanity and granite costs. Frameless shower glass will be installed but I have a $1000 allowance for that and shouldn't go over. Contractor bid $25k, all in we expect to hit $30k.

For both bathrooms, contractor price included new toilets. For the main bath, it included the new tub as well. All material disposal costs are included (matter of fact, there's a dumpster parked in my driveway right now).

There may be some who think the price is excessive. I can tell you that for me, its worth every penny. My builder is amazing...he is on top of every detail and keeps me informed every step of the way. He deals with his own sub-contractors who are amazing, he handles all the permit and inspection details. He's earned our trust and now carries a key to our house so we can go about our day at work without interruption. He texts or calls me at the end of each day to update the progress and give me the plan for the next day. Dropcloths are every where while they work, and at the end of the day the carpets on the stairs and second floor are vacuumed...every day. They sweep the garage and driveway every day.
Thank you for all the information. We have a master bathroom to re-do, too. Shortly after moving in, the large Jacuzzi tub leaked thru the floor into my garage below. Shortly after that, we found a shower leak. At first we were trying to find contractors and get that fixed first. But with all the hassle and problems of finding someone, we decided to do the smaller bathroom first. For our master we don't plant on changing floorplan, or electrical or plumbing. We want to fix the shower and tub which means getting a new tub and re-tiling everything, including the floor because the tile is cracking. We though since we were doing so much work, we'd do some cosmetic changes. Small ones. Keeping the counter tops but changing countertop. New mirrors, light fixtures and paint. Lowest quote for master was $30,000 and highest was $40,000. Actually highest was $48,000 but that was so ridiculous, I didn't respond back. All of that is labor...have to supply tub, shower, countertops, lighting, mirrors and paint. That is not changing out fixtures.

I just had my master bath redone. It included taking part of my wall closet (because prior owners put a walk in closet in the bedroom) and enlarging the bathroom. Everything was ripped down the studs. It included all new tile, toilet, fixtures, frameless shower (including rainfall shower head) and cost me about $30,000. Just like a prior poster, I absolutely love my contractor (also remodeled my kitchen), so I didn't get quotes from anyone else. My one bit of advice is go with the streak free glass in the shower. I take a shower and you can't even tell that the shower has been used.

Thank you for all the information. We have a master bathroom to re-do, too. Shortly after moving in, the large Jacuzzi tub leaked thru the floor into my garage below. Shortly after that, we found a shower leak. At first we were trying to find contractors and get that fixed first. But with all the hassle and problems of finding someone, we decided to do the smaller bathroom first. For our master we don't plant on changing floorplan, or electrical or plumbing. We want to fix the shower and tub which means getting a new tub and re-tiling everything, including the floor because the tile is cracking. We though since we were doing so much work, we'd do some cosmetic changes. Small ones. Keeping the counter tops but changing countertop. New mirrors, light fixtures and paint. Lowest quote for master was $30,000 and highest was $40,000. Actually highest was $48,000 but that was so ridiculous, I didn't respond back. All of that is labor...have to supply tub, shower, countertops, lighting, mirrors and paint. That is not changing out fixtures.

Wow. After reading this thread, we got such a bargain at only $11,000 for a total master bathroom redo.

We have a 9 foot by 5 foot small secondary bathroom we would like to remodel. It's all builder original. White square tiles on floor and in shower, short/ugly vanity, etc. Just had a contractor give me an estimate and would like to share with you all the cost and ask if this sounds right. I know cost will differ from area to area, but generally I think it should be in the general ballpark. The price he gave me was $8000. That does not include tile, tube, faucet, light fixtures, trim for can light, mirror, exhaust and paint. So, for the most part it seems to be labor but he did put in his estimate: $800 for vanity and install of, and &650 for granite countertop & install of (that was included in the $8000).
TIA

Designing a bathroom can be a complex thing because you will need to consider the layout, the fixtures and the overall appearance. It will also cost you some money when you hire a professional designer. For your bathroom size it would cost you around $300 - $400 per sq.ft. Also consider the average working days for remodeling your bathroom. When you are hiring a bathroom designer they would be charging you per hour. For the basic design it can cost you around $1400 to $ 2000 but when you add the prices for the specific items in can average to $2500 to $3000 (http://www.fixr.com/costs/bathroom-design). Designers may also offer you one-time consultations which they can give you advice on what kind of design you should do. For the one-time consultation it can cost you around $200 to $225. Also don’t forget to include the labor cost for your workers. Also try to get at least three estimates which can help get the average cost for your bathroom.

Designing a bathroom can be a complex thing because you will need to consider the layout, the fixtures and the overall appearance. It will also cost you some money when you hire a professional designer. For your bathroom size it would cost you around $300 - $400 per sq.ft. Also consider the average working days for remodeling your bathroom. When you are hiring a bathroom designer they would be charging you per hour. For the basic design it can cost you around $1400 to $ 2000 but when you add the prices for the specific items in can average to $2500 to $3000 (http://www.fixr.com/costs/bathroom-design). Designers may also offer you one-time consultations which they can give you advice on what kind of design you should do. For the one-time consultation it can cost you around $200 to $225. Also don’t forget to include the labor cost for your workers. Also try to get at least three estimates which can help get the average cost for your bathroom.
Not using a designer. Not using a bathroom remodeling company (they're even more expensive). Going with general contractors. Not changing layout, not moving plumbing or electrical or adding anything new like a rain shower. Minus the $800 for vanity and $600 for granite...all materials not included (tile, tub, lighting, shower doors, etc.). The rest was all labor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter