• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help w/ family (5 kids)

PamCo88

Finally going Back!!
Need Help w/ family (5 kids)
I have friends who want to take there 3 kids and 2 foster kids (all boys) to Disney for their first time. Kids are 5,8,11,12,14.

What would be the best way to stay onsite? Cheaper is better. Is Home away from home reasonable? A kitchen would be a great help to a family who spends $200 a week on food at home. I don't know what that would translate to at Disney.

Thanks for all your help.

For this size group onsite, there are several options. You could get two rooms at the Allstar Resort, a two bedroom at any of the DVC Resorts or a cabin at Wilderness Lodge. Your best alternative financially would be to stay offsite at a motel suited for this size, which are always less expensive. Have they considered camping at WL? I just received one of the Disney magazines and there was a write up on this, and it sounds like fun. Not for me, mind you, lol, but other people certainly love to do this. They even have tents for rental. That is of course, if money is an issue. If it is not, then the best bet would be a DVC resort. All one and two bedrooms have a kitchen, and a front room and at least one patio area. These are very nice. I am a DVC owner, and stayed in these for the first time last year. I can't imagine going back to a regular room. This is not intended to be a plug for DVC, but we found that with only three children, we were running out of options as to accomodations.

To learn more about the DVC options, hop on over to the DVC board. Many people have found that if they rent points from a DVC owner it is less expensive than booking on their own.

When are your friends planning on travelling?

They should try to rent points if they stay at a home away from home resort. I don't know what they're planning on spending, but those resorts are rather expensive, and you can save a little by renting points.

It would probably be a bit cheaper to get 2 rooms at an All Star or moderate resort. They wouldn't be able to cook, but they could bring snacks and things. 2 rooms at POR in the section with trundles would allow them to keep all 5 boys in one room and the adults in the other.

If they camp, FW is great. I stayed in a pop-up with 6 other people on my first trip and had a blast. There's so much to do that you can only return to the RV or tent for sleeping.

I'd say if you have a rental car, go with renting a house or condo near disney.

Lots of beautiful homes and condos available for under $l00 nite.

Check out the orlando board for mor einfo.

If you don't want to rent a house, I'd go with a 2 br 2 bath hotel offsite with free bkfst to save some food dollars.

Residence Inn LBV is a good bet, HIFS, Summerfields Suites, LBV all are close to dt disney.

Herc.

we too have five children. 2 year old quads and a 1 year old. we stayed in disney the past 3 times with the kids.(yes we go often) 2 rooms at the all star. it was nice but not easy! this last trip (may2002) we stayed offsite at vistana villages. it was perfect!! it was 2br, 2baths plus full kitchen! we paid 99. per night with hotel kingdom. we drove so offsite was not a problem. and it sure beat long lines for the buses with 5 kids under the age of 3...lol! we loved it so much we are going again next month!

pamco88...
hotelkingdom.com is a discounted hotel website. be sure to check it out! excellent deals in the disney area!!! we paid 99. a night for vistana villages with them and we wanted to add a few days while we were there and the hotel itself wanted 199. for the same room!!! what a deal thanks to hotelkingdom.com! good luck!

An other option off site but so close it's almost onsite is
Holiday Inn Family Suites Plus FREE Breakfast every morning!
Here is the link
http://www.hifamilysuites.com/index.html?
Accommodates 6 People
Parlor Area
• Kitchenette with mini-refrigerator
• Microwave
• Coffee maker
• 25" television
• Pull out sleeper sofa
• Rocking chair
• Video cassette player
• 2-line cordless phone
• Game table
• Safe

Private Bedroom[WITH A DOOR!!]
• King size bed
• 25" television
• Combination vanity/work station
with separate modem line
• Lighted make-up mirror and hair dryer
• Iron & Board

Themed kids' semi-private bedroom with privacy curtain
• Bunk beds & Jr. pullout bed
• 20" television
• Video player
• Clock/Radio
• Fun phone
• Nintendo 64 system,GAMES $5. per 24 hrs
• CD/cassette player
• Activity table with chairs
• Ceiling fan

so I guess that would qualify me to answer.:D :D
Two connecting rooms at the All-Stars would be my first recommendation since money is a concern. That way you get two bathrooms. Don't let anyone kid ya; it's more expensive to rent units with kitchens so you can "save" money cooking. Take the money saved by staying at the All-Stars and let that worn out mom have a break from the kitchen. Tell them to do breakfast in the room and if they need to come back for a nap and swim and have PB&J's in the room, they can do that! But please don't even suggest that she cook. (Unless she absolutely must!)

The cabins are at Fort Wilderness, not the Wilderness Lodge. And they won't work with 5 kids that age - the limit is 6 plus a child under 3 in a crib. Camping might still be an option. But the adjoining rooms at the All Star would be my suggestion. The extra bath will help.

Disnee Dad Says................................... I would try some of the suite places mentioned, but don't worry about the kitchen. This is supposed to be a vacation. You can always make sandwichs in the room, and if you have a hot pot, can always do up a giant can of raviolli or soup etc...

We are planning on staying at a Vacation Pool Home. I think it will be a nice break from the parks, and everyone can relax and maybe have a bbq one evening! We also plan on going to the beach one day, so my suggestion to save money is to plan on doing other fun unique things in florida that will augment your Park days. There will be 8 of us total in a 6 bedroom 4 bath house. Even if the kids eat cereal for breakfast and snacks at night we are saving a ton of money! You can also use the home as a warehouse for all the supplies you'll need with 5 kids. Try that in a hotel room.

We went with our five children (all girls) in November of 1999. We stayed in the FW cabins. It was great, but having only one bathroom slowed us down alot. We are going in November of this year. The girls will be 16, 13, 10-turning 11 while we are there, 5, and 3. We will be staying at ASMo because we really need a second bathroom. Hopefully that will make getting ready in the mornings a little easier.

Holiday Inn Family Suiteswill sleep 7. We've done it with our 5 kids. The littlest will sleep on the little bed in the kids' bedroom, 2 in the bunkbeds, 2 on the pull-out sofa in the living room, mom and dad in the locked bedroom on the king bed! :cool: Tell them to have fun, whatever they decide! (2 PORS would be my druthers-we can't afford the deluxe rooms!)

Originally posted by Debbie
...mom and dad in the locked bedroom...

This line is hilarious considering the subject matter! It works on so many levels! LOL!!! :p :p :p :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter