Help Us Enjoy the Main Street Trolley & Cars Again

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Since 2000 our MK strategy was to catch the opening show, go through the archway to Main Street and hop on the horse trolley or one of the antique cars. I have several good videos of the ride to the Castle and they are absolutely the most watched vids in our extensive catalog, when I need a Disney Fix they put me right there. The new opening put an end to that as the vehicles don't run until the show ends (I think) and we want to get in SpaceMtn, Buzz and People Mover as walk ons as in the past. We've pretty much ignored the vehicles recently, when are they available to ride? Can we just wait at the Castle and catch a ride out as we're leaving? Really missing these and come to think of it we have never ridden the the opposite direction, we need to video that.

Thanks,
Bill From PA

Not unless you're leaving MK sometime before 10:15AM.
Is there a typical daily schedule for the main street vehicles? We most likely won't be there for the morning show and I'm wondering if we can catch a ride on one on the way in shortly after opening or a little later. Thanks!

Is there a typical daily schedule for the main street vehicles? We most likely won't be there for the morning show and I'm wondering if we can catch a ride on one on the way in shortly after opening or a little later. Thanks!

Typical schedule, 8:00-10:15AM.

As with anything at WDW, that can vary.

I'm sure it varies, but I've seen (and ridden) the Main Street vehicles in that 8AM-9AM Main Street open window on a 9AM regular park opening morning. If they are out, it's a great time to ride them.

Riding in one of these vehicles has always been on my bucket list, but touring with a stroller and now a wheel chair have made that option not very practical. I will always remember seeing them first thing on my first trip to WDW back in the 1980s before Epcot was open, and wanting to ride in one. (Yeah I know, I'm old as dirt.)

What particularly stands out in my memory was there was a little girl about 7 yrs. old who approached the horse pulling the trolley when it stopped near the castle.. She reached out and tried to pet the horse on its nose. She must have startled the horse as the horse quickly bit her on the shoulder. She of course jumped back. Her parents reaction was to laugh at first, but I could see the teeth marks and the blood which quickly followed. I was horrified. The little girl wasn't too happy either as this incident quickly brought the tears. Over the years I have often thought about this unfortunate accident and hope the little girl was okay. I guess the lesson here folks is keep the kiddies and yourself away from the horses. They are working animals and not pets.

I was able to ride the horseless carriage from Town Square to the hub before the welcome show on March 1st. Official park opening was 9 am, our ride was at 8:30.

Riding on the top level of the Omnibus down Main Street USA is an experience every WDW"Geek" should do.

Everyone looks at you and waves and it allows a COMPLETELY different "view" of Main Street USA.:)

Last edited:
When we were there last year, we were walking up just as the cars came out. We've never ridden them before and no one in my family but me was interested, so I didn't insist. I regret not doing them though. One day!

I used the link to check the times during the morning EMH, but it isn’t clear (to me) if the cars/trolleys will be running then? Any thoughts? Ex: Friday March 16 posts 8-10:15; however, under that time it posts EMH 7-8. Does that mean the cars are running then or just telling us this is a day with EMH?

I used the link to check the times during the morning EMH, but it isn’t clear (to me) if the cars/trolleys will be running then? Any thoughts? Ex: Friday March 16 posts 8-10:15; however, under that time it posts EMH 7-8. Does that mean the cars are running then or just telling us this is a day with EMH?

They MIGHT be running.

"Normally" the only attractions that are open for MK AM EMH are those in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.
However, the Meet & Greets in Town Square Theater are often open during AM EMH, too.
And, that theater is on Main Street.

So how do you get a ride on the cars/trolleys? Is there a line somewhere that you hop into? I've seen people riding around in them and I've always waved at them, but I never knew how to get a ride! One of those things. :earboy2:

So how do you get a ride on the cars/trolleys? Is there a line somewhere that you hop into? I've seen people riding around in them and I've always waved at them, but I never knew how to get a ride! One of those things. :earboy2:

When you are there it will become clear.
At either end of Main Street, these vehicles will be parked.
Just walk up and ask the driver (of the smaller vehicles) if you can board.
If there are seats available on the buses, just step aboard while the bus is parked.

If there happen to be a lot of extra guests waiting to board (rarely happens,)
just wait for another vehicle to pull in and park.

When you are there it will become clear.
At either end of Main Street, these vehicles will be parked.
Just walk up and ask the driver (of the smaller vehicles) if you can board.
If there are seats available on the buses, just step aboard while the bus is parked.

If there happen to be a lot of extra guests waiting to board (rarely happens,)
just wait for another vehicle to pull in and park.
Thank you very much!!!

The Main Street Vehicles are one of my three year olds favorite things to do in the MK. In fact, we try to get there near park opening solely to ride them, and we can't move on to anything else until we ride every single one that it out that day.

We have had some really great experiences with them, and the cast members have all been awesome. My son has gotten to sit in the driver's seat and honk the horns (when parked) and crank the siren on the fire engine, and once we had a vehicle all to ourselves. He waved to everyone as we went down Main Street on his own "parade float." They are always the highlight of his day, and we have so many great memories and photos.

And FYI, you can take strollers on the omnibus. The cast member will place your folded up stroller on the bus and take it off for you when the ride is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter