Help us choose: England/France vs Italy ABD?

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all! I’ve read the reviews and watched the videos, but the best source is from experienced travellers on this group! So, England/France or Italy? (the grand european tour is not an option unfortunately).
Some background: it will likely be us 2 adults, our only ABD was Disneyland/Southern California and loved it, don’t mind interacting with a group, love travel and tours and history and food. Haven’t been to Europe since childhood so consider this essentially the first time. Prices are similar, timing is perfect, itineraries sound phenomenal.
Any thoughts? Whether you’ve done one or both or neither would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Hi all! I’ve read the reviews and watched the videos, but the best source is from experienced travellers on this group! So, England/France or Italy? (the grand european tour is not an option unfortunately).
Some background: it will likely be us 2 adults, our only ABD was Disneyland/Southern California and loved it, don’t mind interacting with a group, love travel and tours and history and food. Haven’t been to Europe since childhood so consider this essentially the first time. Prices are similar, timing is perfect, itineraries sound phenomenal.
Any thoughts? Whether you’ve done one or both or neither would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!
How exciting for you! When are you looking at going? While I’ve not yet done either of these, I’d be partial to England/France to add on Disneyland Paris at the end. However, if you are looking at dates from end of July 2024 thru September 2024, be aware several departures overlap the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics, and the France portion of the itinerary will be changed because of that. It will also make Paris a lot more crowded, where Italy might be the better choice.

We've done both and my DW was very very happy with Italy and it is one of her several favorite ABD trips. If your reason for going is to go to DLP this gets you to Paris. Mathmagicland's comment above points out issues you may encounter. We found OYO time for both trips very easy and very good. Both have an excellent Metro in your three major cities. The "specials" in Italy were indeed very special. England and Paris are also very nice.

To mix it up, we did Italy ABD and then flew to Paris to do DLP on our own at the end. It was super easy, just a quick hop and a car service to the DLP hotel. Then just took the train into town to show the DDs Paris a little.

My DH and I had previously did our own London/Paris trip, finding both very easy to get a round in (and between).

Thought that the Italy trip was wonderful.

How exciting for you! When are you looking at going? While I’ve not yet done either of these, I’d be partial to England/France to add on Disneyland Paris at the end. However, if you are looking at dates from end of July 2024 thru September 2024, be aware several departures overlap the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics, and the France portion of the itinerary will be changed because of that. It will also make Paris a lot more crowded, where Italy might be the better choice.
Spring of 2024 (bunch of dates), we saw that the Olympics were going to be in Paris in the summer, just hope nothing is closed in preparation

We have done both and it's really hard to make a wrong choice. I'd go with Italy first perhaps because of how interesting/different this tour is. You see Rome, Florence & Venice. Very different and enjoyable experiences. But England/France is very interesting as well. Keep in mind that "England" really means London and the immediate area, while "France" really means Paris. You don't get a lot of the rest of the countries on those tours.

Not having done either ABD, but having done all 3 countries several times on my own, I'd say England (London) and France (Paris) are very easy to navigate on your own, which means any OYO time would be easier to do. Both have excellent subway systems that can get you almost anywhere, and there are apps (we use Moovit) that will tell you exactly what you need to do. Italy is also navigable, but it's a little more confusing and if you've not done it before, might be daunting.

I agree the Italy trip gets you out of the city. Tuscany is gorgeous and Ovieto is a beautiful old town. As I get older, while I love Paris in particular, I really, really like traveling thru the smaller towns and countryside. I think that is where the real differences in culture happen, which is why I like to travel.

We did the Amalfi Italy ABD years ago and loved it! We also visited London/Edinburgh in the early 2000s. England/London is so easy to do on your own (as is Scotland). I wouldn't do a tour for that, but that's just me.

I've done the London/Paris with ABD and Italy with Tauck...and think I'd lean towards Italy (not that the ABD wasn't good but as others have pointed out quite do-able without guides) for food, history, art and gelato 💕🍨. Either way, you can't go wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter