Help! Trip Planning (Excitedly) - 2022

SpectroMartin

Earning My Ears
I have convinced Mrs SpectroMartin that we need to go to WDW for the 50th Anniversary in Summer 2022. I went with my family in 1997 when it was the 25th Anniversary and then again in 2000 for the Millennium Celebration.

I have visited Disneyland Paris multiple times (see my signature!) and Tokyo Disney Resort but I have not been to WDW in 19 years - it will have been 22 years when we do eventually visit! I've followed various developments with WDW over the past 19 years so have a good understanding of the parks and entertainment etc but I have never planned a holiday there myself.

When we went to WDW in 1997 and 2000 we stayed in the All Stars Resorts. In Disneyland Paris we generally stay in the Disney Hotels due to the benefits they bring (Disneyland Paris include unlimited park time in their packages). When we went to Tokyo Disney Resort we opted for the Hilton on-site property due to cost (it was excellent).

Over the past few years we have managed to get Hilton Gold membership and are planning on saving up Hilton points to try and fund most (if not all) of our holiday at one of the Hilton Hotels in Disney Springs (I know it as Downtown Disney!!). However, I know very little about how these hotels work in terms of transportation (I have read mixed reviews online). I also read that you can get things like 60-Day Fastpass+ and Extra Magic Hours included at the Disney Springs properties but then noticed that this is only stated to run until the end of December 2019 - does anyone know if this will continue.

I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of staying at the Hilton property or trying to save to stay at a Disney property. With our Hilton Gold membership we would get free breakfasts for the duration of our stay (I assume they offer this benefit) as well as the ability to pay with points. However, I know that the Disney hotels offer a superior shuttle service and the free airport transfers. Mrs SpectroMartin would probably want to hire a care and we would plan on visiting places like Universal Orlando and Kennedy Space Center - does anyone have any experience of driving there and what it is like?

Sorry to throw so many questions out there - I have such a mix of excitement and confusion at the same time!

The 50th Anniversary celebration is scheduled to start in 2021. WDW opened in 1971. It will probably run into 2022, but it's worth calling out that it will likely start October 2021.

However, I know very little about how these hotels work in terms of transportation

Depends on the property. Bus frequency is generally less frequent than campus buses.

I also read that you can get things like 60-Day Fastpass+ and Extra Magic Hours included at the Disney Springs properties but then noticed that this is only stated to run until the end of December 2019 - does anyone know if this will continue.

No one knows. The hotels are paying Disney for the privilege. Predicting 3 years out is rough.

However, I know that the Disney hotels offer a superior shuttle service and the free airport transfers. Mrs SpectroMartin would probably want to hire a care and we would plan on visiting places like Universal Orlando and Kennedy Space Center - does anyone have any experience of driving there and what it is like?

Universal is a very short hop from campus. Kennedy is about 60-75 minutes, with tolls, depending on traffic. There is a parking charge at most of the Hiltons, and definitely at the WDW hotels.

The 50th Anniversary celebration is scheduled to start in 2021. WDW opened in 1971. It will probably run into 2022, but it's worth calling out that it will likely start October 2021.
Oh, I read all of that as HIS 50th anniversary of marriage. I was trying to do the math of how old he was. Ha ha!

Anyway, I don't have experience with the Hilton, but we did Universal and the Disney Cruise. Renting a car wasn't so bad. There are a lot of things to research though, good thing you have time! there's things like parking at Universal and cost of their ticket prices verses WDW tickets, etc. With GPS it's not so hard to get around.

Yes, I imagine that it starts on October 2021 and then runs for a year. We would be there August 2022 as if we went in 2021 we would miss it.

Depends on the property. Bus frequency is generally less frequent than campus buses.

At Disneyland Paris the buses operate in the same way as the Disney Hotels (although you can walk from the parks from most hotels there). However, thanks for the confirmation that they're not as good as the Disney buses.

Universal is a very short hop from campus. Kennedy is about 60-75 minutes, with tolls, depending on traffic. There is a parking charge at most of the Hiltons, and definitely at the WDW hotels.

Thanks, I would always transfer with a taxi or on a coach but Mrs SpectroMartin is keen on driving. Although with parking charges it may be better to use Uber or a taxi.

Thanks for all the information!

Oh, I read all of that as HIS 50th anniversary of marriage. I was trying to do the math of how old he was. Ha ha!

Anyway, I don't have experience with the Hilton, but we did Universal and the Disney Cruise. Renting a car wasn't so bad. There are a lot of things to research though, good thing you have time! there's things like parking at Universal and cost of their ticket prices verses WDW tickets, etc. With GPS it's not so hard to get around.

No, definitely not my 50th Anniversary! Although, we did say we would go back to Tokyo Disney for our 20th wedding anniversary (which is a long time away!).

Yes, it is quite over-whelming (but exciting). The parks in Tokyo and Paris are so much easier to get around!

Over the past few years we have managed to get Hilton Gold membership and are planning on saving up Hilton points to try and fund most (if not all) of our holiday at one of the Hilton Hotels in Disney Springs (I know it as Downtown Disney!!). However, I know very little about how these hotels work in terms of transportation (I have read mixed reviews online). I also read that you can get things like 60-Day Fastpass+ and Extra Magic Hours included at the Disney Springs properties but then noticed that this is only stated to run until the end of December 2019 - does anyone know if this will continue.

The Disney Springs hotels have a free shuttle bus that runs every half hour. You can get a copy of the bus schedule from your hotel. Each bus goes to two of the four Disney theme parks, so you may have extra riding time if your destination park is not the first stop. The shuttle will also stop at the other Disney Springs hotels. And, their Magic Kingdom stop is near the parking lot, so that you have to catch the monorail or ferry from there.

I don't think it's been announced whether the perks such as 60-day FP+ and EMH will be extended beyond this year for the Disney Springs hotels.

However, I know very little about how these hotels work in terms of transportation (I have read mixed reviews online).[/QUOTQUOTEQUOTE="_auroraborealis_, post: 60300961, member: 564776"]Depends on the property. Bus frequency is generally less frequent than campus buses.
Less frequent, but specifically schedule. None of this, "about every 20 minutes" baloney :)
he shuttle will also stop at the other Disney Springs hotels.
True. Each side of HPB has its own shuttle. Three hotels on one route, four on the other.
Yes, I imagine that it starts on October 2021 and then runs for a year. We would be there August 2022 as if we went in 2021 we would miss it.
If it's like other major celebrations, it should run through the end of 2022. Although I don't recall anything outstanding during DL's 50th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter