Help Please. In Keys now driving to Orlando

Koz

DIS Veteran
Good morning. We are presently in Marathon and plan on driving to Orlando on Friday at about 6AM. Google has us taking the typical Florida Turnpike route and bypassing 95 altogether. We planned on leaving at 6AM, which gives us a drive time of approx. 5.5 hrs. My question is whether by leaving at that time we should expect to hit alot of rush hour traffic in Miami or other areas. Google maps doesn't show any marked difference, except that if we left at 7 or 8 am the trip appears to take just a little longer. Any tips or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

the turnpike extension in the area west of MCO is usually a bear during rush hour ....

congestion here was a BIG factor in the decision to go all electronic with the tolls

there is no good alternative route ... just be careful and patient

Reactions: Koz
the turnpike extension in the area west of MCO is usually a bear during rush hour ....

congestion here was a BIG factor in the decision to go all electronic with the tolls

there is no good alternative route ... just be careful and patient
Thanks Capt. Does it matter if I leave at 6 or leave at 9 in that case?

Yes, you are going to hit some of the Miami rush hour traffic, and probably some Ft Lauderdale traffic.

The Turnpike is under construction from a little north of Homestead past Kendall, a distance of probably 15 miles, and you will get significant congestion there. That will be the slowest part of your entire trip, but it will start to get better once you pass Kendall Drive (SW 88 Street)

Once you get north of Bird Road (SW 40 Street) the construction stops and traffic will open up. A little north of Bird Rd, FL 836 (Dolphin Expressway) will branch off to the East toward downtown, and much of the traffic will go east and you will then be going against rush hour traffic.

The Turnpike will eventually turn east, and once it does, you have two choices. One route is to continue east on the Turnpike, it will turn north again, and just stay on it to Orlando.

The other route is to take I-75 North from the turnpike to remain way out west as you go past Ft. Lauderdale. That route takes you north to the big interchange with I-595, I-75, and FL 869 (Sawgrass Expressway). In that interchange, you stay in the middle lanes and go north on FL 869 until it turns east and takes you back to the Turnpike.

Sometimes the I-75/869 route will save you a little time. I just checked it right now (which is about the time you'll be in this area) and Google Maps routes me this way, saving 8 minutes.

Just use Google Maps and take whichever route it recommends at the time you come through.

You will also get some traffic on the Turnpike between Boca Raton and West Palm Beach, but that traffic is usually not bad.

All in all, it's not a bad drive except for the construction between Homestead and Kendall.

On the 6 AM or 9 AM departure, Google Maps shows it about the same drive time. At 9 AM you will have less congestion in Miami, but slower traffic in the Keys and probably slower from Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach.

One important note on the Miami area:

As you come north on the Turnpike, pay close attention as you get to SW 152 Street. When you cross over 152 Street, stay to the right.

There is construction in this area, the expressway is curving, a major artery feeding in from the right, and then a confusing interchange with FL 874.

The turnpike branches off to the right (2 lanes), but most of the lanes go straight to 874 and much of the traffic will be trying to move from right to left. Be sure you stay to the right.

Did you mean to write MIA?
Good catch, Joel -- it does sound like he's talking about Miami airport, not Orlando. If so, however, OP is going to miss most of what Capt_BJ is talking about -- which is the eastbound traffic inbound to the airport and downtown from out west. That's just normal rush hour traffic. OP will be going north, not east.

Once OP gets past the construction slowdown south of Bird Road, traffic will get better and better until they pass FL 836. From 836 on, they'll be traveling against rush hour traffic.

The worst of the turnpike construction is from about SW 220 Street north to SW 152 Street.

I would lean towards 6AM departure. I find there is always more risk of delays (and lengthy ones at that) on US1 than there is once you hit the turnpike. If you have GPS there are a number of different routes once you get to Florida City, where there is only one until that point. Plus you get to see the sunrise that way, a great way to end a keys visit.

yes I meant MIA

but I did also mean north bound on the turnpike

at the end of my time in Miami I worked at SOUTHCOM which was in Doral and took the extension from around 170th south (lil south of the zoo) to Doral (airport) to/fm work

it was a mess each and every day ..... got better when SUNPASS began and better still when they removed the toll plazas

You guys are all awesome. Thanks so much for all the feedback. Highly appreciated.

yes I meant MIA

but I did also mean north bound on the turnpike

at the end of my time in Miami I worked at SOUTHCOM which was in Doral and took the extension from around 170th south (lil south of the zoo) to Doral (airport) to/fm work

it was a mess each and every day ..... got better when SUNPASS began and better still when they removed the toll plazas
It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I used to commute from Kendall to MDPD HQ, which is on NW 25 Street just south of Southcom, and my wife still does.

The extension of FL 836 west to 137 Avenue helped a great deal -- took a lot of West Dade traffic off the turnpike entirely.

Miami traffic will suck. Always does.

Broward will be really heavy between 595 and commercial starting around 730 until about 9ish.

West palm won't be horrible but will be a bit heavy.

North of west palm smooth sailing.

Stay away from 95 at all costs. 95 sucks always through the tri county.

Hope your long drive went smoothly, and you had a great time in the Keys!

Thanks everyone. It went great. Left at 630 and with a stop we made it by 1 with 3 kids. Having a great time at the Hard Rock now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter