Help out a long term lurker! Resort decision...

worleygirl26

Mouseketeer
I have been lurking for years! I am hoping to get some insight on our resort choice. DH is over talking about it! Who: DH, Me, DS (6), DD (1), and my Mom. When: Late May 2015 for 7 nights. Where: Help!!!!!!!!! This is our 5th visit to WDW, 2nd on property. We are use to traveling with my Mom. Our prior visits have always been commando, going from rope drop to close. This time we intend to hit the parks first thing, eat lunch around 12-1 and head back to hotel to swim and nap. Then DH, DS, and I will go back out to the parks around dinner while Mom stays at hotel with DD. I just don't know what to do.
We stayed at WL last time and it was great but I want to try somewhere new.
I think I have it narrowed down to these 4. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
AofA Cars Suite - Pros: separate sleeping area so baby can go to bed and my Mom can move around freely, 2 bathrooms, great theming. Cons: buses, doesn't look super relaxing.
BC 1 standard room - Pros: great pool, great location. Cons: one room and bathroom, have to be really quiet when we get in at night
POP 2 rooms - Pros: most affordable Cons: I have visited there before so not "new" to me, small rooms and beds, buses
POR 2 rooms or 1 room - Pros: gorgeous property, great for my Mom, 1 room very reasonable but cramped Cons: buses, less "fun" for kids.

What say you DisBoards? WWYD? I want to stay in the 5k range for room and tickets.

Of the choices listed, I would pick 2 rooms at POR for more space and better amenities than a value.

Have you thought about a 1-bedroom villa at BC or BWI? Or even at WL. You would get the extra space plus the close proximity to the parks.

AoA would be nice for the kids and can put mom and kids in other room, looks like that's what I'm back to:goodvibes

I'd go with 2 rooms at POR. The buses are bad, but you have 2 bathrooms, and 4 QUEEN beds, compared to all the pull out beds in AOA. It's a beautiful, relaxing resort, nice food court, etc. I'd book preferred though, it's huge. My only complaint was buses with this resort ( and I usually don't mind waiting for buses, have done many resorts, but it was the worst). But like I said, everything else was wonderful. It's very quiet, even when the resort is full.

I'd go for the beach club because of the pool, level of luxury, proximity to epcot & transportation options

POR is a good option and while 2 rooms would be most spacious and convenient, 1 room could be doable. We took our family of 5 right after Christmas in 2011. It was me, DH and our 3 kids (15, 10, & 6). We were there for 5 nights. We were comfortable in 1 room and the fighting amongst the kids was non-existent due to being at Disney. And all of the kids loved the resort. I was rather new to Disney planning then and I'm sad to say that we didn't even make it to the big pool since I was clueless as to where it was. But my kids LOVED the quiet pool near our room. They have even requested that we return to POR when we go back with them.
Plus it looks like the renovations have added even a little more Disney magic to the rooms.

My choice would be 2 rooms at POR with a preferred or royal rooms.

This is reasonable in price, but gives lots of space and 2 bathrooms as well as 4 real queen beds. With a boat to DD and the great landscaping, POR is very relaxing.

Out of your list I would also vote for 2 rooms at POR. But I would throw in a look at cabins in FW.

worleygirl26 said:
I have been lurking for years! I am hoping to get some insight on our resort choice. DH is over talking about it! Who: DH, Me, DS (6), DD (1), and my Mom. When: Late May 2015 for 7 nights. Where: Help!!!!!!!!! This is our 5th visit to WDW, 2nd on property. We are use to traveling with my Mom. Our prior visits have always been commando, going from rope drop to close. This time we intend to hit the parks first thing, eat lunch around 12-1 and head back to hotel to swim and nap. Then DH, DS, and I will go back out to the parks around dinner while Mom stays at hotel with DD. I just don't know what to do.
I think I have it narrowed down to these 4. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
AofA Cars Suite - Pros: separate sleeping area so baby can go to bed and my Mom can move around freely, 2 bathrooms, great theming. Cons: buses, doesn't look super relaxing.
BC 1 standard room - Pros: great pool, great location. Cons: one room and bathroom, have to be really quiet when we get in at night
POP 2 rooms - Pros: most affordable Cons: I have visited there before so not "new" to me, small rooms and beds, buses
POR 2 rooms or 1 room - Pros: gorgeous property, great for my Mom, 1 room very reasonable but cramped Cons: buses, less "fun" for kids.

What say you DisBoards? WWYD? I want to stay in the 5k range for room and tickets.

We just got back from AOA and I liked it, not loved it but my kids DD5 and ds1 loved it. The beds are NOT comfortable. We've also done 2 rooms at ASMu and if I had to do it again, I would probably do the two rooms. Personally, I don't like the mods and I've stayed at all of them except CSR. I just don't think you get much extra for the money plus my kids love the theming of the values.

This DIS fan doesn't like the 4 given options. Re consider your choices. You have tasted the sweetness of the Delux resort. Do not downsize unless it is to select the Multiple-room or Suite idea. Given the age ranges involved, my guess is that you probably will be spending more time at the MK so why not go with the Garden Wing of the CR which is 0.4 miles walking distance to the gate making quick access worth every cent extra in room cost. Rooms are spacious. It's got the monorail buses AND boats. Buses can be late, boats go down in electrical storms and monorails do to but ya can still walk between MK and a room. Be sure to wave at all the guests waiting for their bus ride back to other resorts as you stroll by. Just kidding...book the Coronado.

Go with 1 room at POR Preferred is the alligator Bayou and we have done this many times. You will be so close to the main building and the main bus stop. Your not in the room that much. The pool and all the amenities are great here. Lots of fun time games for kids even little ones at the pool each day and movie on the grounds. Also you can ride the boat to DTD and to French quarter. Since they are sister resorts you can pool hop over there for a change. POR is so nice and We have found the Cast Members and the management to go above and beyond anything we could want. Go to Portorleans.org and read about the resort. Love the queen beds and the one pull down bed from the wall. Your DS should love this.:goodvibes

If you can get two bathrooms go for it.The moderate rooms are not that big and when you put a pack and play in they are even tighter.Also your mom will have to share a bed.I liked all star sports but aoa suite woul be great for baby and your mom.I always try to get preferred to be closer to things.

When we are traveling with my mom, we need an extra "room" for her. She is not on the same schedule as us and needs her own space. I love the BC and think it's a great hotel and pool, but it would not suit our needs for a Mom space.

For kids ages 6 and 1 AoA suites would be a great theme! More space, two bathrooms and a separate space for Mom.

Of the choices:
2 rooms at POR would be what I would go for.
POR is Wonderful (lush landscaping, best FC on property, boat shuttle to DTD, you can use both Main pools at POR and POFQ) and I have stayed at several resorts, even Deluxe and POR is still my favorite. I found buses were the same at all resorts, no matter what level, we never really had an issue with getting to where we wanted to go in a reasonable amount of time.

I would go for 2 rooms at POR. I grew up staying at Grand Floridian and Yacht/Beach Club but my husband and I do not have the same budget my family had when I was growing up. My favorite resort now is Wilderness Lodge. In a close 2nd place is POR. The grounds are gorgeous, it has a relaxed atmosphere, the pool is great, and overall it's just a fun place to be. I don't think that your kids would see it as less fun at all.

I would stick with the two rooms at POR out of your choices. Having two rooms is worth the extra space and you still have a fun theme pool for the kids to play in. Since you mentioned busses being a con this resort has a boat to DTD for something different. Although BC would be nice I think your family needs the space from two rooms.

Of the choices listed, I would pick 2 rooms at POR for more space and better amenities than a value.

Have you thought about a 1-bedroom villa at BC or BWI? Or even at WL. You would get the extra space plus the close proximity to the parks.

Unfortunately the size of their group wouldn't fit, they would have to move up to a two bedroom at these resorts.

OP: With that many people I would want two rooms or a suite. So, that narrows it down to POR, AoA, or POP.

POP: I would not recommend this resort. I almost stayed at POP, once we were shown to our room, we immediately requested to speak with a manager. There was this horrible smell. I have no idea how it got released back into the room pool by a maid. We didn't have any confidence in the cleaning staff after smelling our room, so there was no way we were staying. A manager helped us switch to another resort. We've stayed at ASMu and liked it BTW, so we're not resort snobs by any stretch of the imagination.

AoA: It's a nice and new resort. I've never stayed or visited here, so I can't speak from personal experience. I would just ask yourself if the sleeping configuration works better for your group than two rooms and if you like the theme of the resort better than POR.

POR: This would be my pick. Two separate rooms with four real beds sounds the most comfortable to me. I haven't stayed here, but I have stayed at POFQ and would walk over during my stay. The main pool is very well themed, and to me, just as nice as WL's pool. The food court is large and has a lot of great options. If your mother will be hanging back at the resort a lot, the grounds would make for a nice stroll with the baby. There is also a boat to DtD.

I don't see it as that big a step down from WL (which I have stayed at in the villas). The real differences are that there is no boat to the MK, you won't have interior corridors, no balconies, and you might have a longer walk to your room. The room itself might be slightly less well appointed, but it's not a huge difference, and the size will be similar because the WL rooms are somewhat small for a deluxe. Considering the price difference between the two resorts, those differences are very easy for me to accept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter