Help! Our Pixie Dust Dreams are fading!

For every family that thinks Star Wars is taking over, there is another family that is frequenting Disney more due to the new Star Wars attractions. Personally I'm happy to see something geared toward boys instead of the constant barrage on Princess items.
I agree!! I really wished they would have done more with Atlantis, it was my sons favorite Disney movie growing up! I am excited to see what they will do with Star Wars and the new Toy Story part! :)

The Early Morning Extra Hour is going to have an affect on my rope drop and also my pre park opening BOG ADR strategies, because it's going to reduce the number of mornings per week these strategies work. So, I just can't agree with those who say these expensive extras have no affect if you just choose not to purchase them.

How? Because there will be possibly 1000 people in the park ahead of you? Or because you have a PPO ADR at BOG so you were planning to ride 7DMT before the park opened, even though this is not a guarantee anywhere. (One only has to search the boards here to see many, many, many people that were anywhere from disappointed to downright pi$$ed that they paid for breakfast at BOG and didn't even get to ride 7DMT early because CM's held them back until the rope drop crowd came around the corner.) I think you and others like you are assuming an awful lot of things before you even know what is going to happen. Unless you are the very first person through the train station, no one gets the "empty" Main Street; there will always be people there. Now, if we discover that Disney over sells this to the rate of hard-ticket party-type numbers, then I think you may have something to complain about. But right now, I don't honestly think you are talking about enough people to significantly impact your plans.

The Early Morning Extra Hour is going to have an affect on my rope drop and also my pre park opening BOG ADR strategies, because it's going to reduce the number of mornings per week these strategies work. So, I just can't agree with those who say these expensive extras have no affect if you just choose not to purchase them.

Sure, it affects something you were never guaranteed. The loop hole is (or may be) closed. FP+ ruined legacy FP- strategies. Park goers either adapt or they don't. I think the majority do adapt. Change is hard. No one likes it much. It's affecting my typical rope drop strategy (or what this board is predicting will happen because we don't really know.) I just chose a different plan.

Shortly we will start getting reports on these EMM: crowd levels and how it affects rope drop, PPO breakfasts, and morning entry. Then we do what we do: complain about it then give in and buy the ticket or adapt a new strategy without the ticket.

It's not if any of us can afford these things or not. I can see them charging for FP, ADR's, and so on. They are changing things and carving out little extras. They will continue to do this until all that's left is getting through the front gate and maybe allow you 2 rides on a particular day unless you pay for the extras. Maybe it won't happen but I bet some version of what I'm talking about will. This is happening right before our eyes yet many refuse to believe it.

You mean they are closing the loop holes people enjoy? I don't refuse to believe anything, I just choose not to get worked up over what has happened. I can't control it. I can only control where I spend my $. This year I choose WDW.

I believe they just listened to visitors and we can now do things with FP's that we could not do previously. Things that were complained about quite a bit here yet I don't see it talked about much.

Why wouldn't you pay for premium parking?
As far as a lot of the other things, we never do sit-downs at Disney since my daughter outgrew the character meals. My favorite Disney meal is at Earl of sandwich, in DTD. We have adapted to the cost increases by fewer days we attend, since SW and UNI are less expensive. Sometimes we skip Disney completely. Or sometimes we just use our Disney water park APs and do a SW/AQ/BG 14 day ticket. There are lots of ways to switch it up and make a trip more exciting. We get bored of just Disney parks and as your kids get older they will probably start to prefer SW, BG, IOA, Uni. And we always stay offsite and get a place with a private pool.

I know Disney's main objective is to make money because in the end it is a Business. I just feel we are being nickeled and dimed for every last cent. Charges for premium parking, extra evening hours, extra morning hours, special viewing areas and so on. We have adapted to the lack of spontaneity. You really have to plan out every minute. Food dictates your trip if you want to eat at sit down restaurants. It's getting harder with families with little ones due to larger crowds. We aren't big Star Wars fans and I think it may be taking over. We Have been to Disney World 15 times since 2006 and 1 Disney cruise. We are huge fans. I know they have to adapt to stay relevant. I remember walking through Mickey and Minnie's house on our first trip and felt like a kid again. It was awesome! Things are a changing and for our family it's not for the best. I guess in the end they will keep testing the ceiling of how high they can go. As they raise prices attendance keeps growing.
There's a number of points you address in your post:
- First there is the issue of "nickel and diming". We went to Orlando a few months ago and we included Universal's IOA park. As you exit the popeye ride, they have these dryers that cost $5. They get you wet and then they want to charge you 5 bucks for drying you off. It didn't strike me the right way. They have had this premium parking for a while now. The extra fees for everything is a big turn off. These companies don;t seem to think that giving people something else for FREE has any positive results for them.
- I too am a Disney credit card holder and I'll use the rewards monies to help pay for my visits. But I could get other credit cards that rewarded me with airplane rides somewhere else or hotels somewhere else too. I still look at the rewards as money spent.
-Star Wars. There are very some very good rides and attractions based on movies that I'm not that big a fan of. Harry Potter comes to mind = I have read none of the Potter books and have seen just one of the movies yet I can appreciate that the Potter lands and rides are well done. So you may like the new Star wars things even if you're not the biggest Star Wars fans.
- I see one of the other posters went to DW in 1986 for the first time which was also my first ever visit. I remember loving the old 20,000 Leagues sub ride and the Skyway and also some of the old Epcot things. They are all gone of course but hopefully the new things that they replace them with become favorites also. We can't turn back the clock.

I just wish that any of Disney's parking was in a nice cool garage like at Universal. That is besides Disney Springs.

OP, I understand exactly how you feel because I've been struggling with this for a long time. I have expanded my horizons and it has been nice. I still go to WDW for old favorites but that's about it for now. I hope that the new attractions will be amazing many years from now when they're done.

It's not if any of us can afford these things or not. I can see them charging for FP, ADR's, and so on. They are changing things and carving out little extras. They will continue to do this until all that's left is getting through the front gate and maybe allow you 2 rides on a particular day unless you pay for the extras. Maybe it won't happen but I bet some version of what I'm talking about will. This is happening right before our eyes yet many refuse to believe it.

Well that was Walt's 'original vision,' right? You pay to get in, and then you pay for ticket books that tiered your attractions so that you could only ride one of the 'E Tickets' unless you bought a whole other book.

The points I am trying to make here are a) it's silly when people invoke Walt all the time and how he would be rolling over in his grave. None of us knew Walt personally so none of us can really say that. And b) you really are sounding burnt out. If all you took away from what other people have said in this thread is "I'll need to FP for my bathroom soon!" then you really aren't engaging in the conversation.

I heard a long time ago that Disney absolutely wanted to charge for fastpass; so, I can see this happening in the future. I think changing from fastpass to fastpass plus is the start of this change; because, you are more limited in the amount of fastpass plus that you can get vs. the old system. So, to get more fastpass plus you will have to pay a premium eventually. In some ways the VIP tour is already doing this by giving you priority access to certain rides and parades, right now.

There is something primal in all of us that wants to be first. Also, on the same note there will always be those who want to have an advantage over the next guy. Then, there are those who don't want to wait. Anyway, Disney will continue to cash in on these primal instincts in all of us. Regardless, you will have a choice to give in to those practices or not.

On the same note if Disney is changing in a way you don't appreciate you have the choice to spend your dollars differently.

My biggest disappointment through the years is how the street entertainment has diminished in the parks. Also, the quality of the acts is not the same. The changes affect all of us differently. I will still return to Disney World, but in recent years it has been less frequently.

You can expect to see much higher park ticket prices in the future when all these new attractions are completed especially if they become popular.

I feel mixed in my reaction. Seems like there are a lot of people either extremely frustrated and not sure exactly what to do about their frustration, and those who shrug their shoulders and say, "Deal with it". I guess I am somewhere in between. If we get priced out in the future, Im sure there will be other things to fill in that niche, albeit sad that tradition and past memories wont always be the same for my kids as they were for me.

I think Disney will keep charging until they cannot charge any more. Until that time comes, they will keep raking in the cash, mainly based on the re-hashes of movies, experiences, etc already done....stagnation will start to occur, and we have already seen this happen (more Frozen or Star Wars, anyone? Perhaps a marshmellow monster or rancor dungeon experience at Animal Kingdom....)

That being said....If Disney decides to do this blatant money grab, and keep giving half hearted effort and having the "take it or leave it" attitude, then.... I think in the long run, we are seeing the company set itself up for losing the die hard fanbase that made it great. Not only that, but it will not only cost the company money, but it will take away from future commitments and sales. While this is happening, there will be others that take advantage and give customers new product, ideas, and experiences which will be more and more lacking as the company goes away from its roots. Isnt this just basic history, really? So it all depends on quality vs quantity....squeeze out all the cash now, customer be darned......or keep growing the fanbase and merchandise/product the daylights out of their customers. To me, it would seem like leaning towards that second option would by far be the most profitable in the long run....

For those of us who go to WDW often, we noticed the changes. I'm often asked from friends and family why do I keep going to Disney. My answer has been the same for years and it still today...WDW is great entertainment value, quality and customer service ("pixie dust"). I think I've seen a video by Walt himself that is similar to this. As far as resale policy change, does this slightly decrease the value of resale? I believe it does. Is buying resale over retail still a better deal? I guess it would depend on your situation. As a DVC owner, I know what I would recommend to someone buying into DVC.

So your inability to refrain from spending extra money is the fault of corporate greed? I think you might be misplacing that blame.

Absolutely not.
However it makes me feel I am the lemon that they are squeezing every last drop outof and I choose to not be squeezed anymore. I help many of my co workers plan their first trip to Disney. Now I find myself saying more about what to avoid ( not pay extra)and NOT do because it isn't necessary or adds very little value or should I say magic. Where before I could be fairly confident saying MK will be open until 10pm during a cetain time of year now I hesitate thinking they may close at 7pm so they can do their upcharged EMH. Many of you say it doesn't effect you if your not going to pay for the EMH add ons, but it does. It changes what park you will go to early and what park you will be at until close. Even if they don't close early, they are adding more guests in at 7pm.

Money isn't an issue. We own a business and pay for a lot of things with our Disney credit card to earn the points so all our trips are paid for with that. It's just the point.
If you own a business, you should understand. You can afford WDW because you make money charging for your goods/services.

Sounds to me like you need to start attending local festivals and fairs if you cannot afford Disney. We all understand that some folks do not make enough money to afford certain vacations and apparently Disney is getting out of your reach. I personally enjoy Disney and no matter what the cost will make arrangements to attend. In my opinion if Disney is fading to you then DONT GO. Just my opinion.

Sounds to me like you need to start attending local festivals and fairs if you cannot afford Disney. We all understand that some folks do not make enough money to afford certain vacations and apparently Disney is getting out of your reach. I personally enjoy Disney and no matter what the cost will make arrangements to attend. In my opinion if Disney is fading to you then DONT GO. Just my opinion.
To me, it isn't about the cost. I can afford it. It is about value and how quickly that value has faded. If I feel something is a good value, I will pay for that good or service.

If you don't feel like Disney is still a good value, if you feel like Disney is nickel and diming you, if you feel like the magic is gone, etc., stop going to Disney. The more repeat guests keep going back every.single.year., regardless of how much you b*tch and moan about it, Disney is going to keep doing all these things you don't like because you keep paying for the privilege of going somewhere you say you feel undervalued. If you don't like it, stop going.

I know Disney's main objective is to make money because in the end it is a Business. I just feel we are being nickeled and dimed for every last cent. Charges for premium parking, extra evening hours, extra morning hours, special viewing areas and so on. We have adapted to the lack of spontaneity. You really have to plan out every minute. Food dictates your trip if you want to eat at sit down restaurants. It's getting harder with families with little ones due to larger crowds. We aren't big Star Wars fans and I think it may be taking over. We Have been to Disney World 15 times since 2006 and 1 Disney cruise. We are huge fans. I know they have to adapt to stay relevant. I remember walking through Mickey and Minnie's house on our first trip and felt like a kid again. It was awesome! Things are a changing and for our family it's not for the best. I guess in the end they will keep testing the ceiling of how high they can go. As they raise prices attendance keeps growing.
You don't have to do all that stuff though. Those "perks" are a money grab for families trying to optimize their best vacation ever. It's like I tell DH... there are crabby people down there that can be butt heads. We can choose to let them drag our trip down or just do our Disney and have fun.

I agree that I do not get the most bang for my buck anymore at Disney World. I have found DCL to provide more value lately. We do have AKL concierge planned for August but that will be it for years. We will always stay Preferred Annual Pass holders at Universal though. I still find the value there for annual pass renewals and the "magic" my family gets there is on par with Disney World.

It was funny but the thing that always had Disney going for it in my mind was the long hours during crowded times. Now with the cutting of hours I saw in Easter and now potentially summer, and all the upcharging it's like OH heck NO. No one takes me for a ride like that. And us savvy customers won't be taken advantage of but I guess it's just the principle we are all struggling with? I don't know. It's just not that I hate this big, bad corporation. WDW is just offering so much less with technology, IT, and experiences.

A example I use is the RFID rollout. Universal built it into the experience by allowing us to be a real Wizard able to cast spells! Disney counts me in a queue and upsells me on pictures.

Do you? Besides FP+ and ADRs, we don't. We used to, but have done this enough that we can pretty much wing it.

This is how we roll. We plan our park days and ADRs, and now our FP. But that is it. WE start in one area and just make our way around, and if something better comes up we toss that FP right out of the window. I never worry about what I am missing when I am enjoying what I am doing.

I get it and can relate. Always during planning, I get a little "Fear of Missing Out" when I discover add-ons and don't choose to buy them. I worry that my kids will get a case of the gimme's or a "why aren't we doing. . . ?" when we're there. But what happens every single time is that we enjoy the heck out of what we ARE doing and wear ourselves out doing all the basic stuff, leaving no time to worry about what we AREN'T doing.

As to the Star Wars issue. . . I was worried that Frozen had "taken over EVERYTHING" and since I have little interest in it, I thought I'd get really sick of it. Well, if you don't stand in line to meet the sisters, don't go to the sing-along show, didn't go shopping in Wandering Oaken's shop. . . you'd have no idea it was there. I haven't been since the Star Wars stuff opened, but I bet it's the same - you see lots of info about Star Wars depending on where you do your research, but you won't see Ewoks in Adventureland, Storm Troopers in Animal Kingdom, Darth Vader in World Showcase. . . if you aren't interested, you really won't even have to go out of your way to avoid it.

It can be tempting, can't it? Last year we brought the little girls I care for, and Boy did I want them to have the perfect trip. I waffled back and forth about the new Frozen Cafe thing, and decided against it. They never missed what they did not know existed, and they loved the little things I had no idea were even fun.

As a parent I had always told my kids that there will always be someone who has more than we have. More money, a better car, cooler vacations, bigger homes, and that we have what we have, which is more than others. It's just life. I have no idea why when DH and I are thinking about our DGD and those little girls we forget that the same holds true for them as it did for our kids.

I think that I learn every trip that the kids are way more perceptive of what is important thatn we ever give them credit for. They never missed what we did not do, and the things they loved were the least expensive parts of the trip.

We do travel often. We fly around to different cities to watch UFC fights, we go to the mountains, and we take trips to the beach (Fort Walton, Gulf Shores) so we know what different experiences are like. But our first true love is Disney and like I said it's changing and by the way this thread looks only me and one or to more seem to be affected. Where do I go to Fast Pass our restroom breaks?

I hear this complaint a lot and I just do not get it. For my family, there is no need to be so regimented on vacation, but if that day came when I was so stressed about timing that I felt even my bathroom breaks needed to be built into a schedule, I would go elsewhere.

I don't get why people think a business should make things fair for everyone.
The more money you have, the more you can buy, the more you can do. That is the world we live in, and if people can (and will) pay a certain amount for that stuff then that is exactly how much a business should charge.

I agree. If I think that the cost of any destination is too much for my budget we will go someplace else. If I think that the value of my dollars is not returned at any destination, I go elsewhere. I really do nto care what others ae paying for that I cannot justify for us, but if the day surfaces that I need the "extras" to make a trip magical, I will reconsider the destination. Disney Parks, Cruise vacations, beach vacations and road trips all have additions that can enhance the experience. If the only way to enjoy any one of them costs me out, I'm out.

So your inability to refrain from spending extra money is the fault of corporate greed? I think you might be misplacing that blame.

LOL! My DH would say the same thing!

Of course they may have an effect, but think about how BOG PPO affected those calm quiet walks down Main Steet for those who were used to booking PPO at CP or CRT. Tht walk went from soup to nuts in a heartbeat. No more empty Main Street that folks were paying for. Wait....they were paying for breakfast and nothing more, The walk down Main Street was a perk that was never promised.

Now we have BOG PPO and the additional "bonus" of the Mine Train ride that folks have been banking on when they plan thei PPO meal. It was never promised.

I am not sure how the new extra magic hours will affect anyone other than they probably will not get a jump start on certain attractions because if Disney sells too many tickets to this event no one will find it a benefit.

OMG! Our fairs send me to the poor house! By the time we buy entrance tickets, food (and food and food! We eat our way through every fair. I think my DH is the only man alive who was given a frequent flyer discount at the sausage and pepper booth at the Big E!!!) and the rides, the booths and the contests, my wallet is screaming when we leave.

But we go to a few every year. SOmetimes we do skip the "extras" and just visit the animal booths to support our FFA groups, sometimes we do more. I really think that we all have priorities, and for the OP, this may be the time to revisit theirs. I think it is disingenuous to complain that today, Disney is too expensive for them. Disney has always been out of reach for some folks. Just as the Big E was out of my reach until I was 24.

When I was a kid (the 80s) there were a few families that went to Florida every year or every 2 years and most went once in their lives. It was an expensive and special trip. It appears as though more can afford it and attendance seems to demonstrate this. I would guess that the attendance at WDW has greatly outpaced NA population growth (we can discuss the rest of the world another day, yes I know that other countries attend more than they used to).

Real inflation aside, WDW seems to be riding actual or perceived vacation inflation quite well.

Having said that: we know from 9/11 that it takes one block to really knock down the rest and cripple the parks. They know this so all of these expensive 'extras' can be rolled back and offered as free 'extras' offered to resort guests if things get bad again (ie: E-nights to EMH).

When the clover is in, milk the cow, when the winter comes then hold back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter