Help need with info for Hershey 1/2

Chris931

Mouseketeer
Last year I did the Hershey 1/2 marathon as a relay with my sister. We loved it and immediately after we finished we planned to do the full half marathon this year.

We are both walkers. Last year, the event had a pace requirement of 18:00 min mile. Walkers also started an hour early. It never said so officially, but I figured that basically the walkers had a 22:30 min pace because of the head start.

We were both around 16:30 on both of our legs so we were fine and loved feeling comfortable that we didn't have to worry about finishing.

This year, it says that "all participants must maintain a 14:00 min mile." The walkers again start one hour early. Can I assume that the walkers then would have 18:30 min mile because of the hour head start?

I have emailed Hershey through the site but haven't gotten a response.

In general, I find the big difference in timing annoying... especially since last year the whole timing system was messed up so no one got an official time.
I still want to do it.. but I need to be sure I'll have an 18:30 pace.

This is the official website. http://hersheyhalfmarathon.com/

Thanks in advance for the help!

Wow! 14 minute minimum is pretty tight especially since it says run or walk. Let us know what they say. I can do a 14 minute run/walk but need more time cushion for potty breaks.

damn, I'm tied up for another half marathon the weekend before, but I'm definitely putting it on my list for the near future.

Ok, so the walkers start at 7, and the runners start at 8. They have to keep the course open from 8-11 for the runners (3 hours) - It's unheard of if they close the course after 2 hours for the runners. Even the Boston half put on by the BAA gives you 2:30 from the gun, and that's the strictest half marathon I know of.

So my guess is the walkers have from 7-11 to finish the race (4 hours) which gives you a 18 minute/mile pace.

Thanks for posting this information. I am planning on doing the race this year, but a 14 minute per mile pace is not what I want to face.

Please let us know what they say. Also, does anyone know of a good place to stay nearby that allows pets?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter