• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me with our DAS request

Status
Not open for further replies.

treemi01

SMKCTL
We’ve never used DAS before, but after much thinking, I think we are going to request one for our upcoming trip. I wasn’t thinking it would help much because she’s young, and she also has physical disabilities (in addition to others) so I feel like people will think we shouldn’t have one. For some reason, I feel nervous about asking for one and feel that we are not worthy of obtaining one.

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE SPECIFIC INFORMATION (SCRIPT).

Last edited by a moderator:
We can not tell you what to say but just let the CM know why she can not wait in line. Or your concerns for her in the line might be another way to think of it.

We can not tell you what to say but just let the CM know why she can not wait in line. Or your concerns for her in the line might be another way to think of it.

I’m not asking you to tell me what to say. What I wrote here ARE the reasons she cannot wait in line. If you didn’t catch that, then I need to either 1) word it a different way, which is what I was asking for help with because I obviously didn’t do a good job! 😂 or 2) make up a different reason to make it easier to understand. 😂

I was hoping to use the real reason, though. 🤷‍♀️.

Also, I don’t want anyone to tell me “yes” or “no” either. I’m very well aware that that is a CM decision.

I’m not asking you to tell me what to say. What I wrote here ARE the reasons she cannot wait in line. If you didn’t catch that, then I need to either 1) word it a different way, which is what I was asking for help with because I obviously didn’t do a good job! 😂 or 2) make up a different reason to make it easier to understand. 😂

Also, I don’t want anyone to tell me “yes” or “no” either. I’m very well aware that that is a CM decision.
Sorry I offered you but your post was confused to me And was just trying to help you the best I could. I would just go and talk to the CM about your DD needs and go from there

I don't think you have to provide so much (relatively) explicit information. You need to explain specifically why she can't wait in a regular line.

Your explanation, while a bit long, states very clearly why she cannot wait in the standby queue. I don't think you'll have any problem getting a DAS for her. I would leave out the part about making it easier for all of you. That's not a reason to get a DAS. Have a great trip!

Too wordy. And doesn’t say what happens when she has problems in line. They will not care nor understand any diagnoses.
they want to know what happens when she is in a regular line environment that makes her unable to wait in one

Too wordy. And doesn’t say what happens when she has problems in line. They will not care nor understand any diagnoses.
they want to know what happens when she is in a regular line environment that makes her unable to wait in one

The OP has stated quite clearly that the child has cognitive issues that make waiting in line difficult for her, and a few other reasons why being in a long queue would cause a problem with temperature regulation and blood sugar regulation. Of course the blood sugar stuff could be treated in the queue (snacks are allowed) but temperature regulation could be tricky in an hour long queue.

Please don't feel like you "are not worthy" to request a DAS! It is a service exactly for what you need, a special needs child who needs this service to enjoy a vacation. No company that I know of handles the special needs community as well as Disney; they offer it, so use it without guilt. After all, you are paying for admission to the park, too.

I would wonder also if they are asking you these questions in front of your child. That would be very scary for your young child. I don’t blame you for asking for better understanding of the process.
I expect the castmember will be discreet and very patient and understanding as required. I hope you have a nice trip .
I wish I could be of more help.

think more about easy to understand reasons not med terms. that is what you used in other post as Cms most likely will not understand med terms

I think what you have written would give the CM everything they need. if you feel more comfortable, you could write what you have in your post on an index card/piece of paper and hand it to the CM. People are sometimes hesitant to say these things aloud in front of the child, or in earshot of other guests.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

The OP has stated quite clearly that the child has cognitive issues that make waiting in line difficult for her, and a few other reasons why being in a long queue would cause a problem with temperature regulation and blood sugar regulation. Of course the blood sugar stuff could be treated in the queue (snacks are allowed) but temperature regulation could be tricky in an hour long queue.
A lot of people have cognitive issues and can wait in line just fine. she needs to be able to explain what it Is about the line her child cannot handle. Using stroller as wheelchair tag can provide the needed buffer zone for anxiety issues for instance.

Sorry I offered you but your post was confused to me And was just trying to help you the best I could. I would just go and talk to the CM about your DD needs and go from there
You totally didn’t offend me! I’m sure my post is confusing. I do think DAS was designed for medical issues that prevent waiting in line as well as for behavioral/sensory/anxiety/etc. type issues. We don’t have those types of issues. Just medical issues. I don’t want to confuse anyone. I think DAS was actually designed for issues we don’t have. I’ve decided not to ask for one. Your post was actually very helpful in determining that. Thanks!

A lot of people have cognitive issues and can wait in line just fine. she needs to be able to explain what it Is about the line her child cannot handle. Using stroller as wheelchair tag can provide the needed buffer zone for anxiety issues for instance.
Thank you for helping me realize that medical issues do not qualify for DAS, even if they do prevent us from waiting in lines. I was using the definition on Disney’s site and thinking we would qualify, but you’ve helped me realize we don’t. We aren’t trying to take advantage of anything, and are reworking our trip so that we don’t need a DAS. We will spend a few hours together in a park and then one parent and our SN child will leave to take care of the medical stuff while the other parent enjoys the rest of the day with our other kids. Your response was helpful in determining that the DAS was actually not designed for us because we don’t have sensory/behavioral type issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
You totally didn’t offend me! I’m sure my post is confusing. I do think DAS was designed for medical issues that prevent waiting in line as well as for behavioral/sensory/anxiety/etc. type issues. We don’t have those types of issues. Just medical issues. I don’t want to confuse anyone. I think DAS was actually designed for issues we don’t have. I’ve decided not to ask for one. Your post was actually very helpful in determining that. Thanks!
If you think it might help your DD then talk to GR. Your post was confusing I would try with out the DAS and then if you run into any problem go to GR and explain why you were having problems.

You can ask for one, and only use it if you need it. When we get one for our son, we also get Fast Passes, and only use the DAS if there is something he wants to do and can't wait in long lines.

Thank you for your help! Yes, those are the reasons we can’t wait in line. There are not other reasons, they are all medical. Actually, I wish the blood sugar issues were as easy as “eating in line,” but they are much more complex than that. I did originally think that DAS was for medical reasons, but after reading the responses, I now understand that they are only for behavioral/sensory/anxiety type needs and not for medical needs. I was using the Disney site’s information for DAS, which somehow led me to believe medical issues were a reasonable reason to request DAS, but now I understand that this is not what it was intended for. We don’t really have sensory or behavior needs, so we will wait in line like everyone else instead and just take care of our medical needs at first aid or back at the hotel while the other parent stays at the park with our other kids. I’m so sorry if I offended anyone. I just misunderstood, but I get it now. We certainly do not qualify for DAS and are not trying to “get something” that wasn’t designed for us.

If you think it might help your DD then talk to GR. Your post was confusing I would try with out the DAS and then if you run into any problem go to GR and explain why you were having problems.
We wanted to request a DAS because my daughter has medical issues that prevent her from waiting in lines. I thought that was a valid reason. I now understand it is not. I’m not trying to be confusing, I was just explaining what our needs are. They are not sensory or behavior related. I’m sorry if I offended you. We are reworking our plans and will not use a DAS. I don’t expect any exceptions to be made for us. I just had a misunderstanding of what DAS was for.

(The Disney site says it is for people with conditions that make waiting in traditional lines difficult. We have medical issues that make it difficult. I thought these would be valid reasons. I understand now that DAS is not for these types of reasons, so we will not be using it. I wish the Disney site stated that.)

You can ask for one, and only use it if you need it. When we get one for our son, we also get Fast Passes, and only use the DAS if there is something he wants to do and can't wait in long lines.

No, my mistake. We don’t have the types of issues DAS was designed for. We only have medical issues and physical issues. We don’t intend to abuse anything. I know the physical issues are accommodated by a mobility device and we have that (she uses a wheelchair). I thought maybe the medical issues would make a DAS helpful. I knew the DAS was for sensory/behavioral/anxiety issues, but I also thought it could be used for medical issues that make waiting in line difficult. I now understand that that is not the case. I’m not asking for an exception. I see now that we don’t qualify. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter