How should we surprise our kids?

• Hangman/charades

• trip to World's Largest Ball of Twine

• treasure hunt

• plan trip for next year

Results are only viewable after voting.

nealsmith

9-12er
3 weeks out now and we haven't told the kids yet. DW and I haven't quite decided on how to surprise them. I think we will spring it on them the day before we leave, then they will get to enjoy some of the anticipation.

These are the ideas I have so far...

1. Play a simple game like hangman or charades for really cheese prizes. With charades, the reveal would be me getting frustrated and putting on some Mickey ears, and the prize would be WDW things we have received in the mail, itinerary etc.

2. Convince them we won a trip to some place dreadfully boring. Then suddenly realize I was misreading it... turns out it isn't actually the world's largest ball of twine after all (no offense to the WLBOT fans!)

3. Treasure hunt with the last prize being our WDW itinerary, maps, t-shirts and suitcases!

4. Tell them we are making plans for WDW in a year. After they complain that it's too far off, tell them they are right and to pack their bags, we leave tomorrow!

I'll video whatever we do, and if it's worthwhile I'll post it for everyone.

I love the treasure hunt idea. At the end of the hunt they could find park maps, etc. You could send them on a note to note hunt (my DH does this to me a lot).

I don't think your kids will sleep at all that night!

I love the treasure hunt idea and the next yr trip idea. I saw a video on a family that did the next yr trip thing recently.
we are suprising DD also but are just giving her a bag that has a new autograph book and a new shirt and possibly a new princess dress. We will tell her as we leave the other part of our vacation since DW is the tail end.

I'm torn between the 3rd and 4th. Actually, why not combine them?!

I love the treasure hunt idea and have seen other's posts & videos of it being successful. But do it without the suitcases and make the date so far away so that someone will mention/comment/complain the date is too far away. Then tell them they're right and lets go tomorrow. They'll never believe you the whole time they pack! :rotfl: Unless you have done last minute surprise trips in the past?

Hmm... I really like that. I might steal that idea from you. :rolleyes1 I really wish we had surprised our kids last year.

I actually did a type of a treasure hunt for my daughters HS graduation pressie, with a trip to WDW being the treasure..It was fun, I gave hints that told were the next prize would be, they all somehow brought in WDW as well, took her a little while to figure out what was going on but she never figured out it was a trip til she reached the last clue... We had a ball :thumbsup2 I could not do it now as we did it for the 1st graduation trip, I have 2 others that have also had WDW as their graduation gifts from me..I made this next one a little more special he is going into the Marines so I added a cruise to the end of the trip.....But the treasure hunt is soooooo much fun

I actually did a type of a treasure hunt for my daughters HS graduation pressie, with a trip to WDW being the treasure..It was fun, I gave hints that told were the next prize would be, they all somehow brought in WDW as well, took her a little while to figure out what was going on but she never figured out it was a trip til she reached the last clue... We had a ball :thumbsup2 I could not do it now as we did it for the 1st graduation trip, I have 2 others that have also had WDW as their graduation gifts from me..I made this next one a little more special he is going into the Marines so I added a cruise to the end of the trip.....But the treasure hunt is soooooo much fun

I like the idea of including clues on the treasure hunt. I think that would be a lot of fun.

Yours are all great ideas, but i like the treasure hunt the best. When we surprised our children, we just told them as we were getting to the airport. To this day, my biggest regret is that we didn't think to record it. It truely is a priceless moment. Good Luck!

I like the Treasure Hunt idea, A LOT:thumbsup2! I think that is really great! One they will be super excited to be looking all over for items the items, and then to put them all together, they will be so happy!

The reason I didn't choose Hangman/Charades is because I don't really think that they will get as excited when playing. The reason I didn't choose the Twine trip, is because, you definitelly want to hear how excited they are while driving, not just when arriving. The reason I didn't choose, the year from now one, is because, it is like saying, oh you don't like it we will change it. Now they may understand that you were kidding, but if not, then it will be like what I said above.

I think that the Treausre Hunt idea will excite both, you and your children the most! Wish DH and I would have thought of that:goodvibes Have a wonderful trip! We will be in the world soon too:yay:

Love the idea of saying you are planning the trip for next year. Whichever way you choose - have a great trip!!!

I like the treasure hunt idea but you may want to switch it up just as little. (I recently did this to tell my 12yo niece and 2yoDD about our upcoming trip.)

Rather than words written on a page I took photos of places in our home and they searched that way. Even the 2yo was easily able to participate. I have a cute video of her yelling, 'My potty!'

Have fun!

I love your ideas!
One idea I had for surprising my kids was to make them t-shirts that say "we're going to Disney World" and then wake them up in the morning to get dressed and have those shirts laid out for them.
We're planning our next trip for 2012 and haven't told them any details, although we always talk about "next time we're in Disney". My husband does not believe that I will be able to keep the trip a secret!:rotfl:
Good luck and I can't wait to see the results!

I love your ideas!
One idea I had for surprising my kids was to make them t-shirts that say "we're going to Disney World" and then wake them up in the morning to get dressed and have those shirts laid out for them.
We're planning our next trip for 2012 and haven't told them any details, although we always talk about "next time we're in Disney". My husband does not believe that I will be able to keep the trip a secret!:rotfl:
Good luck and I can't wait to see the results!

Thanks! I like the t-shirt idea as well.

I hope everyone's going to report back/post vids/pix of the surprise reveal -- I can't help it; I've got a huge soft spot for seeing the kids reactions! SO much fun!

We are doing a surprise trip in October!!!!

So far I am thinking, we will wake the boys up (at the crack of dawn...have to be to the airport at 6a), and tell them we can't sleep and we want them to play a game with us!

Then we will do a quick treasure hunt (I love the picture idea from a PP...much easier for my 4 year old than trying to read it!).

And the last clue in the house will say something along the lines of having to get in the van and drive to a specific place to find the treasure. We will drive to the parking ramp at the airport, and then open the trunk and I bought them each a personalized Mickey duffle bag that I will have packed their clothes in! I am thinking that I will take a pp suggestion, too, and have a shirt made for each of them that says "Mom and Dad surprised me this morning with a trip to WDW!" for them to change into at the airport :)

I CANNOT WAIT!!

OK, just got done setting up the treasure hunt for the morning. Lots of notes and pictures. Found some a bag full of small Disney stickers to dress them up. Used photos for the 4 year old and riddles for the 8 year old. I've boxed up all of the maps, magical express stuff etc, wrapped it and will set it on the front porch. Will let you know how it goes.

How exciting! We are surprising our 5 year old and 2 year old (the trip is for the 5 year old). I think we are going to going to get in the van and drive and see how she reacts to when we pull up to gates to Disney. Gonna have to video that...

How exciting! We are surprising our 5 year old and 2 year old (the trip is for the 5 year old). I think we are going to going to get in the van and drive and see how she reacts to when we pull up to gates to Disney. Gonna have to video that...

one of the DJs on WAY fm used to play a clip of their driving to Disney as they approached the park. You can hear the excitement in their daughter's voice as she figures out where they are. Very cool stuff. :goodvibes

Sorry, I just noticed. But how cool does my signature look today?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter