Help me save $ on my trip to Disney!

Don't know if the same is true for WDW but at Disneyland "officially" outside food is prohibited. It is of course done all the time, and they never stop anyone who brings prepared food into the park. They will not allow bread, peanut butter & jelly but a PB&J sandwich is just fine.

In WDW you can bring everything in except glass containers and alcohol. Loaf of bread, pb and jelly(in plastic container) is perfectly fine. You also don't have to announce it and while it is posted no rolling coolers, there are TONS of them in the parks. The security guards are not doing their jobs anymore I guess. They will search your bags and coolers so be prepared.

In WDW you can bring everything in except glass containers and alcohol. Loaf of bread, pb and jelly(in plastic container) is perfectly fine. You also don't have to announce it and while it is posted no rolling coolers, there are TONS of them in the parks. The security guards are not doing their jobs anymore I guess. They will search your bags and coolers so be prepared.

And you can't bring in anything that requires heating - i.e. no MREs and cans of sterno (to bring up a very old budget board post).

And at Disneyland, you are supposed to leave it in your car and use the picnic area outside the gates.

My guess is that there may be a difference in State Law which would create liability for Disney in California where it doesn't in Florida.

And you can't bring in anything that requires heating - i.e. no MREs and cans of sterno (to bring up a very old budget board post).

And at Disneyland, you are supposed to leave it in your car and use the picnic area outside the gates.

My guess is that there may be a difference in State Law which would create liability for Disney in California where it doesn't in Florida.

Well some people say they bring in canned good which I'd normally say require heating but I guess they don't think so. LOL

Yeah the unstated, no fire other than lighters are allowed. ;)

I had a big discussion with the "suits" up front on my way out of Epcot 2 weeks ago about the coolers on wheels. We were there for 2 weeks and I was perplexed by ALL the soft sided coolers ON WHEELS that I was seeing. They said the hard fast rule with these is that the ARE allowed as long as the people either carry them like a bag on shoulder OR if they are going to use the wheels they HAVE to PUSH IN FRONT and not drag them behind. Dragging behind is a tripping hazard and that is why the rule is in place. :thumbsup2

I had a big discussion with the "suits" up front on my way out of Epcot 2 weeks ago about the coolers on wheels. We were there for 2 weeks and I was perplexed by ALL the soft sided coolers ON WHEELS that I was seeing. They said the hard fast rule with these is that the ARE allowed as long as the people either carry them like a bag on shoulder OR if they are going to use the wheels they HAVE to PUSH IN FRONT and not drag them behind. Dragging behind is a tripping hazard and that is why the rule is in place. :thumbsup2

Yeah that's not happening, people are dragging them behind and I'm tired of having to watch out for them. Maybe I should start complaining each time I'm in the parks, I'll take pics for good measure. ;)

We are leaving for our trip in couple of weeks and these are the ways we have saved money:

1) We rented a 2 bedroom condo off-site. We will be there for 8 days and this was way cheaper for us than staying on-site. We also have 2 small children, so it gives us a lot more space. Another perk is we can put them to bed and go to another room without disturbing them. Doesn't sound like you will have this issue, but we saved quite a bit going this route.

2) We fly down because we live in IL. My husband is opposed to roadtrips that last more than 5 hours, lol. I stalk the sales for Southwest to book our tickets and usually do it during their birthday sale. If something cheaper comes along, we just get the credit because we go on a yearly vacation anyway.

3) I search for rental car codes when we book our rental car. There are TONS for FL because of the many tourists. Even the few rare times that we have only done Disney, we like having a rental car because we like to explore. We don't want to be "stuck" at the resort or depend on limited transportation. It all boils down to what is important to you.

4) As I mentioned before, when we go to FL we rarely ONLY do Disney. We try to make the most of our time out there and go to other parks. To help me keep track of the cost of tickets, I created a spreadsheet that allowed me to see the different options that I had to purchase the tickets. This helped us save hundreds because it highlighted the areas where we were spending quite a bit on a particular ticket, which allowed me to look for ways to save (for instance, we bought our tickets to Universal through USSSA because it was cheaper than any other site and it is legit).

5) Quite a few people on the board mention the Disney Visa Rewards card, but I use PNC points. I get 4 points for every $1 I spend. I accumulated enough points to get my son a 2-day Universal park-to-park pass and Target gift cards to pay for a Disney gift card. They also had Disney World and Disneyland ticket options, but it worked out better for us to go with Universal (this is where my spreadsheet came in handy). The Target gift cards allowed us to purchase "free" money to use in the parks.

6) To save cash, my husband stops at the bank every week to take $100 out. He prefers this method over just transferring to another account (which I prefer). He does this with every vacation and it always works out. Right before we leave, he converts the money to big bills with a few smaller bills for tips (he leaves the cash in a safe and only takes a certain amount every day so that he doesn't have all of it on him at one time). This way, we always pay cash and never come back home with debt. Again, you don't have to go this route. You could easily do the same thing by transferring funds to another account.

Lastly, it helps to have a sibling that works for Disney, but I know everyone doesn't have this perk ;)

I just got back from a 2 weeks stay. I won't give the genaral "to do's" that have been done. I'll just share 1 specific savings I did while there.

I LOVE coffee and have to have it. It was 90 degrees and I wanted iced coffee. The iced coffee costs more than a regular coffee and its more ice than liquid. I simply ordered my usual coffee and asked them for a large cup of ice. They happily obliged my requests and I got more caffein bang for my buck :thumbsup2

Great tip! I also love iced coffee and will use this one!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter