Help Me Figure out Sleeping Arrangments!!

Lalalyn

Mouseketeer
We are a family of five: Me, DH, DD6.5 and twin girls who will be 3.5. My parents are also coming with us.

We are staying at the Poly DVC, so we'll have one queen bed, on queen sofa bed and the single murphy bed. We don't travel often and don't have a lot of experience having our twins sleep in different set-ups.

At home, they sleep in full-sized beds. On our last trip to Disney (a year ago) and a trip to my in-laws (four months ago), the twins slept on blow-up mattresses that have a bumper surrounding the whole mattress. They did absolutely fine on those.

The options are:

(1) We take the blow-up mattresses. We're flying and they take up a large full sized duffel bag. If we do this, I think DH and I would have to sleep together in the queen bed. We usually sleep in a king. I think the room might be tight with the sofa bed out and two blow up mattresses. And DD6.5 in the Murphy bed.

(2) DH and I each sleep with one in a bed. DD6.5 in Murphy bed. This would be the first time they slept in a bed with us. We'd get the bed rails, but no clue how they'd sleep.

What do you think?

My kids are picky sleepers but they don't have problems sharing the bed. If they couldn't share the bed, I'd bring one air mattress. One kid gets the couch, one gets the Murphy bed, one gets the air mattress. If there are arguments over who slept where, we would rotate turns. We never used bed rails, so that wasn't a concern for me.

This might sound bizarre, but when we would visit my SIL, 5 of us only got 1 queen bed to share in a tiny room. So my husband and I would arrange ourselves in an L along the outside of the bed (creating human bumpers lol) and all 3 kids (twins and 1 18 months younger) in the middle. It worked.

In Germany the 3 kids only had 2 twin beds to share.. we pushed them together, stuffed a blanket in the middle gap and all 3 slept side by side for 8 weeks.

Other situations they've all shared a double blow up mattress, or just slept in their sleeping bags on the floor. Or sometimes me and DH will take the smaller bed and give the 3 kids the bigger bed, but we're used to only having a queen bed to share and that even seems big. Lol

I would forgo the individual mattresses and just bring sleeping bags for them. If there's an issue with who is where, I would just leave the Murphy up and all 3 sleep on the floor, that's how it would end up with us. Lol

I assume your parents will be sleeping elsewhere. I think I would put all three kids in the bedroom. Two in the bed and one on the murphy bed. My thoughts are that you can put all three kids in bed earlier and you and DH have some room to stay up and watch TV and maybe even visit with your parents. You and DH get the pull out. Another concern of mine is having kids directly connecting to the outside door. I just like having an adult between them and the door. You can choose bed VS murphy bed placement based on who will sleep best together. You can get bed rails from the resort if you need them.

My 4 and 7 year olds did completely fine in sleeping bags on the floor on our last trip. That way we could just fold them up out of the way during the day. They slept well because they were exhausted, I'm sure, but also because they each had their own personal space in the sleeping bag.

They will be so tired and will just pass out.

My DH and I have a king but on vacations we have had queens but we usually end up sleeping with a kid..usually...and the other gets the sofa bed which they tend to fight over,

When we go to Disney in 2018, my plan is to stay in the DVC Poly rooms and let's just say I am paying, well DH too, so we are sleeping in the bed! My girls can have the pull out couch and my DH the Murphy bed.

Make it fun and tell them this is vacation and what you do. Oh and my kids rarely slept anywhere but their own beds and the few vacations, we took when they were under 5. Kids adjust, parents need their sleep!

We rented an areo bed when my oldest was 5. You could look into renting a blow up mattress along with other items you might need such as toys to keep them occupied in the morning while your getting ready.

I"m assuming the parents have their own room.

Put the twins on the sofa sleeper and the other child on the murphy bed.

Sounds tight to me; I'd rather have two value rooms with more beds personally, but many folks do just fine sleeping 5 to a room.

Wife and hubby on queen bed, older kid on murphy bed, twins on the sofa bed. The twins will probably find it fun - and it will set the stage for other family trips as a family of five where they have to share a bed. Since they sleep in doubles at home - you could "practice" a couple times before you leave so they get over the uniqueness of sharing a bed for the first time.

I agree with parents in the queen, twins on the pullout and 6.5 year old on the murphy bed. If you feel the twins need a bit of separate space, you could roll up a blanket and place it between them so they aren't kicking or bumping into each other. I've actually slept on a DVC queen pull-out on occasion (DH snores!) and there was enough room for the two of us.

Are you absolutely sold on Poly DVC? A Poly standard room would give you two, actual queen beds (no pull-out) and a bigger day bed (which is pretty comfortable!) I just wonder if that would be a more comfortable set-up for you?

I"m assuming the parents have their own room.

Put the twins on the sofa sleeper and the other child on the murphy bed.

Sounds tight to me; I'd rather have two value rooms with more beds personally, but many folks do just fine sleeping 5 to a room.
I would do the same for sleeping. Twins in the fold out, older in the Murphy and Mom and Dad in the queen.

Although I would stick with DVC. But that is because I would have points to use.

Our 3 yo and 7 yo share a sleeper when needed. DH and I usually sleep in a king, but we'll share a queen over a sleeper sofa any day!

We just stayed at the Poly DVC last month. You and DH take the bed. Put the twins on the pullout and the 6 year old on the Murphy bed. The Murphy bed is really small, but it is perfect for a 6 year old. Our 6 year old daughter loved it. PS There is not really room in as studio for the blow up mattress especially if you plan to have the sofa bed out.

Last edited:
As others have posted, assuming your parents are in a different room (because they can't fit in the Poly room that sleeps 5), you have plenty of beds-- you don't need the aero. Put the two kids who move the least together in the pull-out. Have a tosser or kicker? That one goes on the Murphy. In my family, we even rotate who gets the Murphy, because they all love it. You could also initially put them each down on a separate bed, then move the sleeping kid out of the queen and into the pull-out once they are asleep. And if you parents are on this trip in a separate room, maybe they would like to take the oldest for a night or two of special one on one time! (They likely have another bed in their room.)

You have 3 sleeping surfaces and 5 people in the room. This is easy. Parents in 1 bed, 2 of the kids on pull out, other kid in the Murphy. If none of the kids will share a bed, bring one blow up mattress.

Perhaps your parents will allow one of the kids to stay with them for a night or 2 as well.

Forget trying to shove a blow-up mattress in there in addition to all of your gear. I love the space of the Poly DVC room but it lacks storage so you'll still have stuff out and trust me -- gets tight real fast. Agree with PPs -- twins on the pullout sofa bed -- the arms of the sofa will help to act as guard rails, you should be fine. 6.5 YO on the murphy bed.

Parents in regular bed, 6 year old on Murphy and twins on pull-out BUT put the twins to sleep initially with one in your bed and one on the pull-out and then move the child from your bed to the pull-out once asleep.

We are a family of 5 and so my kids always share beds when we vacation, though they don't at home. We have had issues with one child making this challenging. Starting him off in our bed and then moving him has helped immensely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter