Which resort would you pick and why????

• Wilderness Lodge

• Animal Kingdom Lodge

• SSR

• OKW

Results are only viewable after voting.

MMrules

DIS Veteran
We are planning on going to Disney in July 2011 with BIL's, SIL's and their kids, 15, 13, 11, 9. They are all DVC members while we are not. They usually stay at SSR b/c they like going to DTD for dinner everynight. Our dilemma is my boys will be 4 and 6 at the time of travel. I want a resort that will be fun for my boys and is not as expensive as a villa. I also don't like the fact that if stayed in a villa I have to use a pull-out sofa, I am paying so that is too much work for me on vacation!!!!

I am thinking that I would like to try to stay in WL or AKL. I like WL b/c it is close to MK (I would like a monorail hotel, but that is probably out of our budget). I have stayed at AKL before and absolutely love it:lovestruc!!!! I am just wondering if folks here can give me advice on which resort they like out of my choices and why. Also what kinds of activities do they have for little ones. If we choose to not stay at the same resort with family we want to make sure it is because there is plenty for the little ones to do.

In all honesty SSR and OKW seem very large to me (much like CBR which I have stayed at before and did love). I don't want a bunch of busstops and lots of walking around the resort b/c the kids are still little.

I can only vote for WL because out of the 4 that's the only place I've stayed. My little ones were 3 and 14 months and we stayed in a 1bdrm villa. We liked that WL is a smaller sized resort, there is only 1 bus stop (shared by both WL and VWL). The pool was great and the CS restaurant was nice. We often took the boat and enjoyed that (although transportation is no longer a deciding factor for me, we go to all 4 parks so 1 will always be closer and 1 will always be farther).
I can't comment on kids activites as we didn't partake in any.

I now feel that whatever resort appeals to me will be great for my family. I've stayed DVC and value, we made them each work!

Have a great trip!:wizard:

Hmm, well AKL and WL are probably not going to be cheap. You might want to look into renting points and staying at a villa if that is what your family is doing. Honestly, SSR was not our fave. resort, especially for the money. It is BIG, has a ton of bus stops, far from everything and I just didn’t find it ‘fun’ for kids. I know some people like Down town Disney, but it just wasn’t for us. If you can afford a villa, you should not let the work of a pull out couch sway you at all. You will have a lot more room and more privacy which would be nice with your boys. Plus you can’t beat the bathroom for a family of 3.

AKL and WL are great for kids of that age. Couple things to keep in mind; AKL can be just as big as the ones you mentioned (unless you stay at Kidani which is AWESOME, but all DVC units). IT is great for kids and lots to do!! Kidani is now one of my faves! WL is great and we love it there but the pool is not as cool as AKL. It does however have a big draw for boys because of the camping theme.

You will have fun either way but I agree with you on looking for another resort besides SSR for your family!

Good luck, and if you have anymore questions I would be glad to answer!

Jamie

You didn't ask about it, but there's always the Fort Wilderness cabins. They are villas with a lower budget and room service :lovestruc. Plenty for kids to do. Right across the lagoon from MK. However, that might not be what you are looking for in a vacation, and there are a lot of bus stops. Check out the camping at WDW pages if you are interested. :)

Given your reasoning and your needs, I voted for WL. There's plenty for kids to do there, they have easy transportation to MK, and it's not too large. :)

We've not stayed at any of them, but I voted for AKL because it is the only one out of your list that we have any interest in trying and we have visited several times and the kids there all seem to be having a great time.

I voted for the Wilderness Lodge because in my opinion of the resorts you are asking about I think they have the best theme and overall location.

I voted for WL for a few reasons. One, easy trip to MK. Two, the theming is nice, plus they offer activities like boat and bike rentals. Three, it's an easy trip to FW, which has lots of other fun options for kiddos: Chip & Dale campfire/movie, pony rides, petting zoo, fishing, hay ride, etc. Not to mention, if you want to visit/dine at one of the monorail resorts, you can take the boat over to CR for monorail access. Oh yes, and I'm sure your little ones will get a kick out of Whispering Canyon :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the help so far.

I am not leaning towards renting a villa, I am a stay at home so right now that will be too expensive. I am thinking the lodges, b/c they are the cheapest out of the deluxes and the family can use their pools b/c they are DVC members.

I am thinking SSR would be rather boring for my kids while they are young. They loved CBR b/c of the pirate theme pirate: so I need to find a place that will be just as fun.

AKL is appealing to us b/c we love animals and I stayed there when they were 11 months and 2 and had a fantastic trip. The only thing the savanna rooms cost more than standard (obviously) we were upgraded last time for free:cool1:but there is no guarantee that would happen again. So I am going to see if there are any hotel specials for next summer (hoping) and that will help with the decision too.

I did like the WL b/c we could go to the campground which sounds like it has really fun activities for the little ones, however, being the middle of summer it may be rather toasty for a horseback ride ;), but the kids would love it. Not sure about the wilderness cabins. They look great, but kinda out there, and I have read some less than stellar reviews about the buses and getting around the campground. But that is a good option.

Thanks again...I will keep looking forward to advice.

WL is one of the resorts next on my list. The reason is my DS (4). He would just love the rustic theming and I've read Whispering Canyon is a hoot!!

AK not my favorite park, so I would be leery being "way down there" and away from MK, my favorite park. Again because of location, DTD seem like a long bus ride away from everything so those would be out for me as well.

I have stayed at AKV, WL and SSR with my 2 kids aged 3 and 5. We loved all of them for different reasons.
AKV for us had the most walking - our room was very far from the lobby and bus stop and food. But the animals were so great - made it worth it. Great pool too. Great buses.
WL was very convenient with the rooms all being pretty close by - decent food, least favorite pool. Liked the boat to MK. Buses took a bit longer with the sharing, but we did not mind.
SSR was DH favorite - and the kids too! Were were in Grandstand right outside of the quiet pool - very close walk to main lobby and to our bus stop. Not much walking involved at all. Were the 1st bus stop, but had to stop at all of other stops - we did not mind too much. Good bus service and loved the boat to DTD.
Never stayed at OKW, but I don't think you can go wrong at any of them!

I chose WL since you have little ones, and it is at least closer to where the others in your group are staying.
I think you would be very happy with WL if nothing else location. Easy access to MK, and the Contemp, where you can monorail hop to Epcot.
I think the kids will love WL too. And you would even have easy access to Ft W if you wanted.
(I found our SSR stay rather boring for adults too. ;) )

I have stayed at WL,, AKL, and OKW of the three I would say AKL, then WL as a second choice, they each have rooms with bunk beds which my DS loved when we stayed at WL and both have programs for children,, AKL pool is nicer but at WL you have the water launch to MK and can see the ELP from the resort one has a geyser the other animals to see.
I don't think SSR would be on my list nor OKW with 2 lil ones

I've stayed WL, AKL and SSR (although I left SSR and moved to Kidani)
AKL and WL are both great resorts since you are looking for the non-villa experience. I would book AKL/WL with bunk beds so your children will have their own beds:thumbsup2 Consider which parks you plan to visit the most. If you are one to do MK more than once or you find yourselves hopping to MK after another park, I would book WL. You could also go over to FW for the camp fires or to ride bikes or take the children to the petting zoo. The benefit of AKL is that the animals are there all day for the children to view. I wouldn't do SSR. I didn't like it. It is large and there are a few bus stops. We got lost trying to find the bus. The theming isn't what we like. I know some love it but it felt like an apartment complex or time share to me. We didn't stay, we moved to Kidani:cloud9: LOVE it there!!!

WL sounds fantastic!!! I love AKL :lovestruc,but want to stay at each hotel in my lifetime and haven't been to WL yet....maybe that will be the winner. Sounds like it is with fellow Disboarders!:cool1:

I think my boys will love all the cool stuff to do there too....I may have found a winner.

Glad to hear that SSR and OKW may be too "old" for my kids. My inlaws swear it would be great, but I know my kids and think they would be bored there. For them it is the best deal for their points with DVC, but as a paying member, I think I can spend my money better at WL!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter