Help me decide-MK New years eve???

Heidi Lou

The Mouse's Biggest Fan!
This is such a majorly last minute decision, I cant even believe I am considering it haha, I had a friend invite me to Disney this weekend,,,staying off property (which I have never done) and going to MK on NYE. I would leave new Orleans tomorrow after work around noon and get there pretty late. The next 3 days would be non- park hopping for them even though I have my annual pass so I would feel obligated to stay with the group. Now I am the type who does early morning, afternoon nap, and then back to the parks til closing. Staying off property stresses me out about no where to take a break if needed (besides in the park or on a couch at contemporary :P and also...NYE AT MK! I hate feeling stressed! Is this a bed idea...I would have to come back home Monday for work Tuesday. I cant believe I am considering NOT going to Disney haha but man, this anxiety!!!!

Aww, I would go and consider it a bonus trip! Holidays at WDW can be stressful because of the crowd level, but if you go in expecting it to be very busy and knowing you may only accomplish your FP+ attractions, it can also be fun! If you really feel like you need an afternoon break/nap, take an Uber, etc. back to where you're staying, and then again to the park (if your friends won't be taking a break).

I wouldn't try to take an uber or taxi or anything else back to your resort, because the roads around Disney are a nightmare on NYE! I know you like early mornings, but in this case you should probably just relax at your resort and head to MK late afternoon or early evening, depending on when they reopen (if they close due to capacity that is). Sounds like you go a lot since you have an annual pass so go with the flow and don't worry about what you normally do.

I would pass. My reasoning is that if you go, you're going to be at a totally packed park with essentially no escape. I mean the Disney transportation system is going to be slammed, I guess you could walk to CR to get away for a bit. It just doesn't sound all that great to me.

Now I am the type who does early morning, afternoon nap, and then back to the parks til closing. Staying off property stresses me out about no where to take a break if needed (besides in the park or on a couch at contemporary :P and also...NYE AT MK! I hate feeling stressed!

IMO, this is the most stressful park to be in on the most stressful day to be in a park. There is no leaving and coming back because you need a break on NYE :) You get in ASAP that morning and know that you're there for the day, with a capacity, close-the-gates don't-forget-the-deodorant crowd. My vote would be let the offer pass and plan yourself a nice relaxing weekend bonus trip soon.

Thanks for the advice everyone...

IMO, this is the most stressful park to be in on the most stressful day to be in a park. There is no leaving and coming back because you need a break on NYE :) You get in ASAP that morning and know that you're there for the day, with a capacity, close-the-gates don't-forget-the-deodorant crowd. My vote would be let the offer pass and plan yourself a nice relaxing weekend bonus trip soon.

That's the tricky thing... in the office I work in we cant just take days off...we get 2 weeks that have to be taken all at once, not broken up...it's insane. I just happen to have a "floating holiday" my boss calls it I hadn't taken yet so this is my last chance haha. I was in Disney the first week of the month and will be back in July, but man is it hard to pass up!

the first week of the month and will be back in July, but man is it hard to pass up!

If it’s hard to pass up go! You have an AP so it’s not costing you more. If it’s off site I assume it’s an economical place. Go. Hang with friends. Be on their schedule and experience the park at it’s craziest. You’ll then know if you ever want to do it again. :duck:

Hey I am leaving from Baton Rouge at 5 am. We aren’t doing any parks. Budget changes

Do you like crowds and do you get fired up by crowds? My dad for example went with my mom, brother, and his family to the MK for Jan. 31, 1999 and said it was the most incredible experience of his life and that he loved it. He was not able to get home, though, till 4:00 a.m. // There is no way thought my husband would even consider something like this. In his youth, though, he even did Times Square for New Year's though -- so maybe it's just he's an old married guy now lol.

My favorite place to take a very short nap in the MK park is on the Carousel of Progress.

I personally just could not stay "trapped" at MK for so long with so many crowds. There's not much to do when lines for rides are too long, not much seating to just relax and people watch. Any other park, though? Probably.

We did it last yr. On NYE, we went to MK & did our 3 fast passes & sit down ADRs for both meals. We were onsite & APs so we knew the likelihood that we wouldn’t get in would be slim as it would have to be a phase 4 closure so we went later like 1pm. If you want to watch fireworks in front the castle you need to be in the hub by like 4. Last yr they blocked anyone from getting into the hub about then. We watched from the Frontierland bridge.

This is such a majorly last minute decision, I cant even believe I am considering it haha, I had a friend invite me to Disney this weekend,,,staying off property (which I have never done) and going to MK on NYE. I would leave new Orleans tomorrow after work around noon and get there pretty late. The next 3 days would be non- park hopping for them even though I have my annual pass so I would feel obligated to stay with the group. Now I am the type who does early morning, afternoon nap, and then back to the parks til closing. Staying off property stresses me out about no where to take a break if needed (besides in the park or on a couch at contemporary :P and also...NYE AT MK! I hate feeling stressed! Is this a bed idea...I would have to come back home Monday for work Tuesday. I cant believe I am considering NOT going to Disney haha but man, this anxiety!!!!
Also, you said you are leaving NOLA. Have you ever been to WDW during Mardi Gras? I ask b/c I have been 12/29-1/3 & many different Mardi Gras weeks over the years. I find crowds worse for Mardi Gras week than I did 12/29-1/3 other than on actual NYE. So crowds might not be as bad as you think comparatively.

We went NYE a couple years ago. crazy crowded, didn't get back to the hotel til 3 a.m. one of our best trips ever!!! Fireworks totally worth it, loved it so much we are driving straight through Friday to do it again. Happy New year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter