Help me decide (DCL or RC?)

Jessica0312

Earning My Ears
Hello...

So my husband and I have decided to take a quick 3-night cruise this September for our anniversary. We have not been on a cruise in about 12 years (actually booked our first DCL cruise for next Summer on the Fantasy (and our DD first cruise ever).

I am torn between Disney and RC...I have gone back and forth so many times, I just can't decide.

Disney...is more my level. I am a Disney girl through and through. It would be a different ship (Dream I think) with different shows and it would be during Halloween (not a huge Halloween fan but during our honeymoon we went to MNSSHP and dressed as Mouseketeers and thought we could do that again). My husband does not drink, I drink occasionally. We don't gamble. We don't smoke. I think part of me would feel guilty going without my DD (although I have gone to WDW without her but she had been before). I really want to run the 5K on Castaway Cay though and could do so this trip and not take away from her next summer when she is with us.

BUT...the RC ship (looking at the Navigator out of Miami) looks fun. More activities. A chance to see their private island. And it's about $700 cheaper for the same type of stateroom (balcony) for the same exact dates (but out of Miami as opposed to Port Canaveral).

What would you choose and why???

Thank you!

Hello...

So my husband and I have decided to take a quick 3-night cruise this September for our anniversary. We have not been on a cruise in about 12 years (actually booked our first DCL cruise for next Summer on the Fantasy (and our DD first cruise ever).

I am torn between Disney and RC...I have gone back and forth so many times, I just can't decide.

Disney...is more my level. I am a Disney girl through and through. It would be a different ship (Dream I think) with different shows and it would be during Halloween (not a huge Halloween fan but during our honeymoon we went to MNSSHP and dressed as Mouseketeers and thought we could do that again). My husband does not drink, I drink occasionally. We don't gamble. We don't smoke. I think part of me would feel guilty going without my DD (although I have gone to WDW without her but she had been before). I really want to run the 5K on Castaway Cay though and could do so this trip and not take away from her next summer when she is with us.

BUT...the RC ship (looking at the Navigator out of Miami) looks fun. More activities. A chance to see their private island. And it's about $700 cheaper for the same type of stateroom (balcony) for the same exact dates (but out of Miami as opposed to Port Canaveral).

Thank you!
You said you're "a Disney girl through and through", so to me, that indicates that you should sail on DCL. DCL has strictly separated adult-only areas and activities, and even an adults-only beach on Castaway Cay, that you can more fully enjoy with your husband without your daughter being on the cruise. So you can have an adult-oriented DCL cruise with your husband, and a more family-oriented DCL cruise later on with your daughter.

Hello...

Thank you!

Unless you live equidistant between the port of Canaveral and the port of Miami, you might also take into account the cost to fly into Orlando or Miami. I find that Miami tends to be more expensive, which would add to the cost of that cruise.

Several of the things you mentioned are really only available on the Disney ship. Are the activities that you’re interested in on the Royal Caribbean ship not available on Disney? Everyone’s private islands are nice, but CC really is a step above, in my opinion.

Here would be my thoughts:

RCI-
Might be nice to try this to be able to compare with DCL later
Get to experience all of the DCL firsts with your daughter
Likely lower cost (you didn’t specify but this is typically although not always the case)
Larger variety of activities depending on type/class of ship
Everything will be different so you don’t have to worry about repeats with your next cruise

DCL-
Castaway run
Can explore adult areas you may not do while with your daughter
Can compare DCL ships

Also- three day cruises on ANY line tend to run the risk of attracting a more vivacious crowd. This is least risky with DCL purely due to cost/how they are marketed. The problem is 3 day cruises are appealing to the bachelor(ette) groups and others lookinh for low cost and little time off work. This is less of an issue when school is in and the cruise is not over a weekend, but just something we have noted in our experiences. RCI is NOT a party line, its just again any cruise line will attract more groups like that on the shorter/cheaper cruises. May be better to save your first RCI experience for a nice week long getaway down the line!

It sounds like there are two things holding you back from DCL. One is that RCCL sounds fun. Well are those 'must do' items? Would you be sad if you missed them? Does DCL have something comparable.

Now here's the big one I'm hearing from you, "I'll feel guilty doing DCL without my daughter". How old it your daughter? You weren't going to take her on this vacation anyway, so why do you feel guilty? Sure, you know you'll have fun without her, but you'll also scope out all the things you need to do with her next year, sort of a 'trial run' to make sure you know how to get the right tickets and avoid things that might sound fun, but aren't. Well, you check out other things you're going to do with her, right? Why not this?

To me, the Disney shows/themed dining make a huge difference on a Caribbean cruise (where IMO, the ship experience is the most important part of the vacation.) Since you haven't been on the Dream, you would get to see a new DCL musical (Beauty and the Beast). I also think between Pirates Night and Halloween activities the Disney cruise will just seem like more of a true celebration. Plus, dressing up again in the Mouseketeer costumes that you wore to MNSSHP on your honeymoon seems extra special for an anniversary trip.

For a 3 night cruise, I think you will have difficulty getting to all the things you would want to do on the Dream, so I wouldn't be concerned that RC probably has even more ship activities.

I'm not DCL or bust (and actually lean a bit towards other cruise lines for non-Caribbean cruises), but I think a 3-night Caribbean cruise would be a lot more fun on Disney. I also am a little leery of short, Caribbean cruises on some of the less expensive lines (especially during non-school breaks) because I have heard a few horror stories from friends who unsuspectingly went on long weekend cruises and had to suffer through widespread raunchy, booze cruise behavior from their fellow guests. I'm sure that's not always the case, but for a short cruise Caribbean cruise in September (when most kids are back in school), it's one more reason to go Disney.

It sounds like you'd feel more comfortable doing RCCL first and then do DCL with your daughter on the Fantasy later...

Sounds reasonable to me.

Plus, it's very personal but for us, DCL cruise no 2 and DCL cruise no 3 felt like a repetition of DCL cruise no 1.

If you wait to experience it with your daughter, it will feel 100% new.

Also, I was always told my short cruises on non-DCL cruise lines would be "booze cruises" and it wasn't my experience at all... At this point, I'm really to just deal with it and find ways to avoid it IF it happens but I'm not scared anymore.

Hello...

Thank you!

Personally, I will never do another cruise on RCCL's older ships again. The RCCL fleet is divided into two categories - new ships and old ships. Multiple people at RCCL have confirmed to me that they staff them differently, and treat them differently. Every experience I've had on one of their older ships was a nightmare. Rude crew members, ships in disrepair, awful food. If you were talking about the Oasis class ships or newer, then I'd say definitely give them a try - but there is (IMO) absolutely no comparison between DCL and RCCL especially on the older ships. The $700 price difference is worth it for what you'll get in food, service, and amenities. Don't get me wrong, I like RCCL - they have some very innovative ships and a lot of unique itineraries. But the older ships have been a disaster for me (done 5 cruises on their older ships, the last one to Alaska and I swore I'd never do it again after a crew member started screaming at my mother). Unfortunately, I have seen many scenarios like that on every sailing I've had on the older ships - and would never recommend them to anyone. Just my opinion.

Something else to consider- doing the 3 day Disney would give your entire cabin silver status and the 90 day booking window for activities versus 75. I had a hard time booking things on our first 7 day cruise, I cannot imagine a 3 day would be easier since it has less sea days and just less days in general to spread out activities.

I’ve never sailed RCCL (carnival, princess and DCL) so I cannot compare the two.

I’d love the Halloween on the seas, though.

One thing that is a huge factor for me is that Disney docks at Castaway Cay whereas Royal Caribbean tenders to its private island. I have been on two Royal Caribbean Cruises that we were supposed to go to their island and I have missed it both times. Apparently it has about a 50% miss rate. I don’t know DCL’s miss rate for Castaway but I have seen estimates of 20 to 30% which is a lot better odds. So if seeing a private island is important to you, at least in my experience, I am two for two on Castaway but zero for two on Royal Caribbean.

I’ve done 4 DCL cruises and 1 RC one on the Allure this past fall. Even with an Oasis class ship I preferred DCL. I’m not saying that you can’t have fun on RC, but if you are a Disney lover I would say to go with DCL. As someone else said you’ll then be Silver when you go with your daughter and can book activities earlier.

Personally, I will never do another cruise on RCCL's older ships again. The RCCL fleet is divided into two categories - new ships and old ships. Multiple people at RCCL have confirmed to me that they staff them differently, and treat them differently. Every experience I've had on one of their older ships was a nightmare. Rude crew members, ships in disrepair, awful food. If you were talking about the Oasis class ships or newer, then I'd say definitely give them a try - but there is (IMO) absolutely no comparison between DCL and RCCL especially on the older ships. The $700 price difference is worth it for what you'll get in food, service, and amenities. Don't get me wrong, I like RCCL - they have some very innovative ships and a lot of unique itineraries. But the older ships have been a disaster for me (done 5 cruises on their older ships, the last one to Alaska and I swore I'd never do it again after a crew member started screaming at my mother). Unfortunately, I have seen many scenarios like that on every sailing I've had on the older ships - and would never recommend them to anyone. Just my opinion.

If Pete says sail DCL, that’s all I need to hear! :)

I have been on almost all of the major brands and DCL is by far on of the best. I don’t think we will sail anything else again.

One thing that is a huge factor for me is that Disney docks at Castaway Cay whereas Royal Caribbean tenders to its private island. I have been on two Royal Caribbean Cruises that we were supposed to go to their island and I have missed it both times. Apparently it has about a 50% miss rate. I don’t know DCL’s miss rate for Castaway but I have seen estimates of 20 to 30% which is a lot better odds. So if seeing a private island is important to you, at least in my experience, I am two for two on Castaway but zero for two on Royal Caribbean.

The pier at coco cay is now complete. No more tendering! :-)

Depends what the extra activities you want are. Rockwalls, flow rider, ice skating, decent water slides and ice shows - you wont find them in Disney. If non of that interests you then stick with Disney.

Coco cay looks pretty impressive and will be finished by then, I get to see it in a few weeks. The pier is already finished so no more tendering to get there.

(And navigator is far from old, don't let people scare you. It's only one year older than the dream, which would make the wonder and magic ancient. Haha)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter