Help me choose a resort, please!

With all of the people in your party, I would cast a BIG vote for staying on site; if people want to keep vastly different schedules, go back to room for nap, get up early, stay let, have a headache, WDW transportation allows for great freedom and flexibility.

This is an excellent point! I would certainly take the flexibility for travel into account when deciding between onsite vs off site.

Go to POR they have queen beds and the alligator Bayou will sleep 5. Your little one under three will not count in the room numbers. They will do all they can to get connecting or at least adjoining rooms. Wonderful resort. Preferred rooms are in the Alligator Bayou (closet to the bus and food court. Our home away for home. Here is a great website by one of our own DIS member www.por.org

I would love to do this but it seems very costly to me. I am a little intimidated by it too. I need to research it more as well. I feel like I am running out of time though! Thanks for suggestion

It's actually not too costly. DVC points usually rent for somewhere between $13-$15 per point. Check the DVC point charts to estimate how much it would cost you. Keep in mind, a DVC "week" is 7 nights 8 days. I say that because a lot of people say they are staying a week and mean 6 nights 7 days. So, when you compare the per night cost for a non-DVC resort to a DVC resort, make sure you are calculating DVC points based on the correct number of nights.

Which resort offers a 3 BR villa?

The DVC resorts that have 3BR grand villas are OKW, SSR, AKL, BWV, BLT, & possibly PRV&B.

AoA or Pop is my vote.

All of the WDW resorts whisper "Disney"; I like that AoA (and AllStar Movies) YELL "Disney". I've stayed at lots of beautiful resorts in other places, but at my son's age I don't just want a beautiful resort, I want a Disney resort with a capital D!

When he is much older I'm def gonna hit up the Poly though :)

Ok, so now I am contemplating doing a split stay between SOG and a deluxe resort. Two reasons, SOG is booked two of the nights that we need and we get 40% off deluxe resorts and that sounds very appealing since it would only be 2 nights anyway and they are so close to SOG. So, which deluxe would you suggest to a family that has never stayed in any of them? Thank you for all the suggestions!

It's actually not too costly. DVC points usually rent for somewhere between $13-$15 per point. Check the DVC point charts to estimate how much it would cost you. Keep in mind, a DVC "week" is 7 nights 8 days. I say that because a lot of people say they are staying a week and mean 6 nights 7 days. So, when you compare the per night cost for a non-DVC resort to a DVC resort, make sure you are calculating DVC points based on the correct number of nights.

The DVC resorts that have 3BR grand villas are OKW, SSR, AKL, BWV, BLT, & possibly PRV&B.
I am jumping in on this thread, also trying to figure out where we want to stay, party of six. Do DVC rentals only work for week stays? We are only in for two nights. If this is an option, I would consider it, but everything I look at shows weekly stays. Thanks!

Ok, so now I am contemplating doing a split stay between SOG and a deluxe resort. Two reasons, SOG is booked two of the nights that we need and we get 40% off deluxe resorts and that sounds very appealing since it would only be 2 nights anyway and they are so close to SOG. So, which deluxe would you suggest to a family that has never stayed in any of them? Thank you for all the suggestions!

For simplicity sake, I'd choose a MK resort so it'll be easy to transfer from SOG. I'd suggest Poly or Contemporary.

FYI I am answering my own question about whether you can rent DVC points for less than a week. You can. From what I am finding, however, that either in two studio rooms or the 2BR villa, you will still end up with people in pullout beds, which is what I am trying to avoid. The prices seem a little higher (again only looking at AK because it is the cheapest DVC) to quite a bit higher, depending on the current discounts offered at regular mod and deluxe reservations. That is for a July visit...so during other seasons maybe it is actually the same price!

With all of the people in your party, I would cast a BIG vote for staying on site; if people want to keep vastly different schedules, go back to room for nap, get up early, stay let, have a headache, WDW transportation allows for great freedom and flexibility.

This! It's always an issue in my small family, mainly because I poop out before DS17 and DD22. I love being about to go back to the room for a nap and they can keep at it if they must. :)

FYI I am answering my own question about whether you can rent DVC points for less than a week. You can. From what I am finding, however, that either in two studio rooms or the 2BR villa, you will still end up with people in pullout beds, which is what I am trying to avoid. The prices seem a little higher (again only looking at AK because it is the cheapest DVC) to quite a bit higher, depending on the current discounts offered at regular mod and deluxe reservations. That is for a July visit...so during other seasons maybe it is actually the same price!
I think OKW is usually fewer points than AKL (and they may have 2Q-not sure, but some resorts do). If you're looking at the value AKV rooms for this July, they are likely long gone.

Just curious, what kind of price are you finding for 2 nights?

I think that 2 nights, two rooms were around $1000, but again this was for two studio rooms which is one bed and one pullout. I am going mid July and the season actually changes during my two nights, so if you are going after July 12 your rate would be a little lower. I did check OKW, they do have 2Q rooms, thanks. It was higher than the AK rate but, if I can get a 30% discount (back to standard reserving process...DVC cost was higher than AK), 2 rooms at OKW comes back around $1000 which is only 200-300 more than what I am looking at for moderates. For me, I'm just not sure a deluxe is worth it for 2 nights when we will mostly be at parks. The AK lodge, yes, because it is so cool and one of our party has never been to AK (and I don't think we'll make it into that park). If I could get contemporary at these rates I would do that in a heartbeat for the closeness to MK!

I am jumping in on this thread, also trying to figure out where we want to stay, party of six. Do DVC rentals only work for week stays? We are only in for two nights. If this is an option, I would consider it, but everything I look at shows weekly stays. Thanks!

I've never rented out my points before so I cannot speak to the process. But I do know it is NOT something you do through Disney.

I believe there is thread on the DISboards where you should be able to get answers to some of your questions.

I think that 2 nights, two rooms were around $1000, but again this was for two studio rooms which is one bed and one pullout. I am going mid July and the season actually changes during my two nights, so if you are going after July 12 your rate would be a little lower. I did check OKW, they do have 2Q rooms, thanks. It was higher than the AK rate but, if I can get a 30% discount (back to standard reserving process...DVC cost was higher than AK), 2 rooms at OKW comes back around $1000 which is only 200-300 more than what I am looking at for moderates. For me, I'm just not sure a deluxe is worth it for 2 nights when we will mostly be at parks. The AK lodge, yes, because it is so cool and one of our party has never been to AK (and I don't think we'll make it into that park). If I could get contemporary at these rates I would do that in a heartbeat for the closeness to MK!

It sounds like you are looking up a cash reservation rather than trying to rent points. I checked for July11-12, and there are rooms available. As I suspected, no "value" rooms at AKL, but other types. Bay Lake Tower (at Contemporary) has rooms as well. Price would depend on the view and room type, but AKL would be more like $500 for 2 rooms, 2 nights. Bay Lake Tower (BLT) $600-$800 depending on view. All this would depend on your price per point, as negotiated with the owner renting to you.

It sounds like you are looking up a cash reservation rather than trying to rent points. I checked for July11-12, and there are rooms available. As I suspected, no "value" rooms at AKL, but other types. Bay Lake Tower (at Contemporary) has rooms as well. Price would depend on the view and room type, but AKL would be more like $500 for 2 rooms, 2 nights. Bay Lake Tower (BLT) $600-$800 depending on view. All this would depend on your price per point, as negotiated with the owner renting to you.

Tasha, thanks. Can you PM me with details (such as what web site I should be looking at?) I am not very knowledgeable about renting points, but I would consider it. I usually just spend a few minutes going to some sites, doing a "points calculator" and getting some prices, I must be doing something wrong. Thanks!

We have a large family and have rented points from DIS people off of the DVC rental forum here multiple times. Staying in the villas only save money if you rent points and not reserve thru disney. I try to use people that have been members here for awhile and have rented to others here. You do not have to stay for the entire week, the best price will be Sunday-Thurs. Points increase on the weekends.

http://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/

https://www.dvcrequest.com/

First link is the Disboards rent/trade board and the second one is David's vacation rental. Google Mouse Owners without the space and you'll find a website for DVC owners that has both a forum for discussing how to rent (from both owner and renter perspective) and another rent/trade board.

Be aware that when you rent points it's usually non-refundable/non-changeable--it's cheaper than a similar hotel room, but there are restrictions. Hope that helps. :)

Ugh. . . my numbers from yesterday don't add up and everything is more expensive. But anyhow, there are the links.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter