Help...I've never booked a dining thingy...

raysnkaysmom

<font color=coral>I don't think I'd mention I was
We are going in May of 09 with 4 kiddos, ages 13, 8, 15 months and 6 weeks.
And... my parents...who have NEVER been!!! I was thinking it might be really cool for all of us to make a reservation for a character dinner or something.. .but I have noo idea where to start, where to go or approx costs. Besides the typical places in the parks, the only thing we ever reserved was Hollywood and Vine in MGM.. but I mean the 'real deal' like everyone else talks about..

How do I go about planning this??

Are you doing the dining plan or just making one reservation?

I know you said your kids ages, but which are boys or girls because it will make a difference in suggestion:thumbsup2

Also when you read suggestions and reviews remember they are based on what type of food or enviroment THAT person likes, so take it all with a grain of salt.

With that said. We are sad Liberty Tree Tavern, is no longer going to be a character spot because the food there is so good!!!! It is also fun to the characters in those outfits! they are too cute!

Garden Grill we did and food was ok, but the character interaction was terrific. We saw Mickey Mouse, Chip and Dale, and I think Pluto.

Now 1900 Park Fare was just AWESOME! Great food and the interaction there was my favorite. These are all face characters. (which means no big head on) All Cinderella characters. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine (evil stepmother) Anastasia and Drisella (the evil step-sisters) and usually the Fairy Godmother, however she was not there the night we were.

These were the ones we did just two weeks ago! Hope it helps.

I'm on 'allears' right now :)
Thanks!!
Tell me about Ohana for those who know....it sounds cool for kids and adults!! We love Lilo and Stitch....does that mean we'll like it?? lol

Are you looking to just make some ADR's (advance dining reservations) or are you interested in the DDP (Disney Dining Plan)?

If you're just looking for ADR's, look at the menus here on the Dis and/or allears You'll be able to see all of the TS restauants & CS, by park & resort.

If you're interested in the DDP, you need to book a package or be an AP holder or staying on DVC points.

Hope that helps :goodvibes

my older two are the girls... they of course like the princesses... but I'd say my youngest DD8 has Pluto as her fave... pooh characters might be a good choice for us too.
My little DS (at 4 months) saw Chuck E Cheese...and he didn't get scared...so of course my first thought was YAY>>>MICKEY WONT SCARE HIM :) lol

I dont plan on using the dining plan..because I feel it seems too expensive when we'll be eating cheaper meals otherwise...and even cooking at the resort...
but..if a GREAT deal came around I might consider it...

Are their characters at Ohana?

I'm on 'allears' right now :)
Thanks!!
Tell me about Ohana for those who know....it sounds cool for kids and adults!! We love Lilo and Stitch....does that mean we'll like it?? lol

Lilo & Stitch are only at breakfast, not dinner. Supposed to be a pretty good character meal, but I haven't been to it.

I think for a family with a large range in age, Chef Mickey's is really fantastic. We had a group in January that ranged from 2 to 65 and everyone had a blast. The characters are classic and the atmosphere is that of a big, although loud, party. The food is fantastic. We did it the night we arrived which worked great. We had an early dinner, went to Magic Kingdom for a couple of hours, and retired early.

Crystal Palace is also good for Pooh Characters but I still prefer Chef Mickey's.

The Princess Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table is fun for girls but VERY expensive and the food is So So. We took just the girls and had fun. princess:

Hope this helps!!

ok...so I've been browsing the restaurants n stuff (this is soo fun :goodvibes )
Here are the ones I am leaning towards...
opinions? advice?
And...when I was asking about ohana....I bet I was thinking more along the lines of the Spirit of Aloha dinner show..... but with a large group and babies, that might be too much??

Anyways...this is what I like so far :

Coral Reef in Epcot for lunch??? Dine with the fish!! Only downside...no characters, but still seems cool. We actually wanted to do something similar when we went to SeaWorld

Crystal Palace at MK has Pooh and friends..... seems simple and very reasonably priced..

Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary - Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, Donald and Minnie starts at 5pm - This is probably a winner :) Has the staple characters !!!

Ohana's Best Friends Breakfast featuring Lilo and Stitch. Our Polynesian friends invite you to join Mickey and Pluto for autographs and pictures.
Breakfast 7:00 - 11:00 a.m.
We LOVE Lilo and Stitch :) ANd...Mickey AND Pluto?!?It's like a 2 for 1 winner for us!!

Garden Grove Cafe-WDW Swan

Weekend Character Breakfast Buffet

Saturday Character Buffet 8 - 11 a.m.

Pluto and Goofy - We are checking out Saturday morning...so this might be a good 'goodbye' for us...
But...if we do this one...we wont do Ohanas breakfast... We'll do a lunch or dinner... I'm thinkin just 2 booked meals..

I think for a family with a large range in age, Chef Mickey's is really fantastic. We had a group in January that ranged from 2 to 65 and everyone had a blast. The characters are classic and the atmosphere is that of a big, although loud, party. The food is fantastic. We did it the night we arrived which worked great. We had an early dinner, went to Magic Kingdom for a couple of hours, and retired early.

I like this idea....maybe we WILL do 3...
Chef Mickeys the night we arrive...
Epcots Coral Reef lunch on our 3rd day (the day we visit Epcot)
and end Saturday morning with the character breakfast at the Swan...

Wow...this was easy..I think I have my plan :)

Thanks!!!

The Ohana dinner is a family buffet. They bring 3 foot skewers of meat to your table and cut pieces onto your plate for you.. There are also a number of side dishes that is served family style, you can get as much as you want. Additionally, there is a "cousin" that leads all the kids in hula lessons, coconut races and the limbo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter