Help I can't believe the prices of plane tickets in August

Peace Mickey Lovers

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,
I am the early bird I always book my plane tickets with Jetblue the day they open up the blocks. Well I never travel in the summer I only go to Disney in October, November and May. So next summer I am taking my girls on a Disney Cruise and boy did I get sticket shock on the ticket prices, They are $179 one way from JFK to MCO, I even tried to do JFK to Tampa and they are just as expensive. Is this normal for summer travel? Or should I wait it out and keep looking.
THanks
Lisa

I don't think summer fare sales are out yet. We usually travel on Delta and their good fares only go through 4/30 right now. Just keep checking back.

We have travelled to Orlando the last two Augusts via Jetblue.

August 2012 - 3 round trip tickets (non-stop both directions) from SYR were $868 taxes included

August 2013 - same as above, flights were $950 taxes included

August 2014............$1500+ :scared:

I have not booked yet (though I was prepared to yesterday when the schedule was opened up), nor will I at that cost. We can fly from home (Toronto) for that price, even with our ridiculous taxes and fees.

I will hedge a bet that the Jetblue prices will decline when both Southwest and Airtran open up their schedules for the same time period. I, for one, will wait and hold out for something better.

Fare sales for the summer usually start in March or April if I remember right.

But waiting for them is a crap shoot of sorts - it used to be I could get $300 roundtrip from the West Coast to Orlando if I caught the fare sales just right. But last year there ended up being no real sale because demand was up.

Unfortunately, there is no crystal ball when it comes to airfares!

When do these usually come out?

Early February-ish, if memory serves me correctly.

We have booked for the past two Augusts each January prior, and both times the SW/AT schedules had not yet been released at that point. But prices were good enough to warrant booking anyway (and we are not fans of either SW and their open seating policies or AT and their lack of TV's).

wait. I went this past August and got my tix around May. I monitored for a bit and ended up paying $250pp from JFK on Jet Blue with good flight times (am going there, afternoon coming back). That was the lowest I was able to find though, they ended up going up about $100pp a few weeks later and stayed at that price.

Heading to Disney last week of August. Was surprised to find an awesome price for a flight this early. $228.00 round trip Providence - Orlando with Delta.
Didn't intend to buy this soon but knew it would not get much cheaper.

I am from NJ, only travel in August and will add my findings.

We always book when flights come out. Historically, on United (Continental) we could always get $2229 to $269 per person from Newark to Tampa. The prices always went up. Last year, prices were high and stayed that way so we waited for Jet Blue. We had to fly JFK to Tampa and then home to LGA. No biggie, got great price of $248, again on the day the flights came out and again they never were that cheap.

This year we need to fly to Miami August 2014 for a cruise. I have been watching the fares and they are so expensive, high $400s to low $500 at some times. We thought we would wait for Jet Blue and found the same things. Super expensive.

I am not paying those prices. We may have to skip the cruise if the prices don't come down. We are travelling with other families , some that need 4 and 5 tickets per family.

Way to early. Also if you are willing to do Tampa, how about flying out of as Philly?
It's weird over the years I've found JFK is significantly cheaper on international flights but Philly is better for domestic flights. I never know why.

Hi Everyone,
I am the early bird I always book my plane tickets with Jetblue the day they open up the blocks. Well I never travel in the summer I only go to Disney in October, November and May. So next summer I am taking my girls on a Disney Cruise and boy did I get sticket shock on the ticket prices, They are $179 one way from JFK to MCO, I even tried to do JFK to Tampa and they are just as expensive. Is this normal for summer travel? Or should I wait it out and keep looking.
THanks
Lisa

We flew SW last August for $99 each way. Normally we look at all the airlines and compare to see what the best deals are. I haven'e even started yet as SW, AirTran and Delta are only open through mid-June from what I saw this morning. Didn't check jetBlue as I won't book until I get something to compare it to.

I'm sure it depends on your dates and what days you are flying as well. Can you fly out of a smaller airport that is within driving distance? Maybe they have better pricing at a smaller airport.

We flew SW last August for $99 each way. Normally we look at all the airlines and compare to see what the best deals are. I haven'e even started yet as SW, AirTran and Delta are only open through mid-June from what I saw this morning. Didn't check jetBlue as I won't book until I get something to compare it to.

I'm sure it depends on your dates and what days you are flying as well. Can you fly out of a smaller airport that is within driving distance? Maybe they have better pricing at a smaller airport.

Delta is open for August 2014

This is an interesting thread. As a west coaster, that price is right in line with what I would expect to pay for a flight of about 1,000 miles, not high at all.

I agree, that's actually not a bad price. The airline might make $5-10pp on that fare.

Wait until SW and others release their prices for August. Then the prices already posted should come down. Right now because some airlines haven't released those dates yet, there is no competition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter