• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help finding some awe for my awesome teenagers!

Chipnpin

Earning My Ears
I'm travelling from the UK at Easter to visit San Diego, LA and San Francisco.
We've been to California before and loved every minute of it, from a Dodgers game to riding the trolleys in San Francisco.
I must admit I almost totally relied on man made entertainment for the entire trip last time except for travelling highway 1.
But this time I want the kids to see some of the inland natural beauty of California on the way from LA to San Francisco.
I was thinking either staying at Yosemite or Tahoe.
But this is where I really need some advice, we'll be driving North from LA on 04/05/10. I've read that the weather closes a lot of roads, and even if open, chains may be needed. We are not winter sports people so really I just want a driveable experience with great views.
I was thinking of going to Yosemite valley floor and doing the tour bus as the "easiest" option?
Maybe staying within or on the borders of the park for one night.
Or at the very least driving straight up to San Francisco, taking a scenic route with a rest stop half way?
Any suggestions very wecome...

I can highly recommend staying at Yosemite. It is truly "awesome." I've only been in May when the waterfalls are running and we came in from the South from San Jose so I don't know how the roads would be in April.

The Discover Yosemite tour company is great and I highly recommend them. We stayed at the Tenaya Lodge which was just outside the South Entrance. Check out my Yosemite trip report if you want more info.

I pretended to be American !
To be clear, we are heading north from LA on 5th April.

are you more interested in the mountain/forrest type "awe" since you live by the coast? Because the opposite route has beautiful scenery too, just more "Beach" based.

Just a coastal drive up from Los Angeles to San Francisco in April is very beautiful and worthwhile, even if you don't visit yosemite. Be sure to take at least 2 days for the drive and preferably 3 or 4. Santa Barbara (our Riviera)....Santa Ynez Wine Country (Michael Jackson Neverland ranch area)....up through San Luis Obispo (stop at Avila Beach?)...then Carmel and Monterey (don't miss Point Lobos State Park on the ocean).

Then once you're up in San Francisco you can make a day trip up to the Redwood forest/ Point Reyes National Seashore.

No worries about snow and chains!

The coast route is gorgeous. But as a wine-afficiando, I'd recommend the wineries near San Luis Obispo over Santa Ynez - better quality imho. Also since Sideways the Santa Ynez wineries charge too much ( more than Napa!). But wineries are pretty boring for kids.

Just north of SF over the Golden Gate bridge is Muir Woods, which has some absolutely drop-dead gorgeous redwoods as well. Big Sur on the coast is also beautiful.

17 mile drive thru Monterey is beautiful. And if you're a golfer you can stop at Pebble Beach and have soup at the 19th hole (about the only affordable thing to do there ) - and enjoy the view of a couple of famous holes.

Definitely no weather issues in April. SF gets a lot cooler than LA though, so you'll need light jackets.

The route straight up the middle of the state ( the 5 fwy ) is pretty boring but takes half the time. 6 hours is plenty that way, but for the coast with minimal stops you'll need 8-10 hours. So 2-3 days is about right to enjoy it.
Enjoy! the coast of CA has some areas as beautiful as the Amalfi Coast.

I-5 and Highway 99 from LA to SF are both rather boring. Highway 101 is the most scenic with lots of wineries along the way.

I love the wineries near Solvang, Edna Valley, Paso Robles etc. along 101. Firestone restaurant in Buellton is great. For breakfast or lunch stop at Fat Cats at Port San Luis at Avila Beach.

Yosemite is in the mountains and even the valley floor is at 4000 feet. I wouldn't expect much snow in April at that elevation but could happen.

If it were later in the year I would suggest highway 395 from LA to Mammoth, Reno and on to SF. Very very scenic through the high mountains but in April could have plenty of snow.

Monterrey has a very large aquarium exhibit kids would like.

North of SF in Vallejo is a Six Flags Amusement park which is 1/2 rides and 1/2 zoo/marine park.

Seems like you are really looking for a distraction.... one day is not much time to see or do anything. Tahoe!?!?! Even Yosemite, I can't imagine it is worth the many miles of driving out of your way without going on an extensive hike. No, I don't think it is a one-day vacation.

Directly on your way, try Pinnacles National Monument. But only if you're willing to go on a hike. They have a couple of spectacular and unusual hikes that go in and out of caves.

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/index.htm

For teen Awe...... Maybe check into seeing the redwoods. Very cool :thumbsup2and brings that awe for many. Could be a few hours stop without needing an entire day. It has been a while since I've been in the area so someone else will have to key in about location in relation to your driving.

:confused3If I remember correctly, there is also an "old style" town near Yosemite. A great look into an older way of life very different from today’s teen "necessities". Holds a great memory with awe from when I was a teen, many years ago:rotfl:, may be even cooler for the younger ones today if it is still in good shape. Again someone else will have to key in with more information and driving.

Have a great time :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter