• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help choosing dates...first WDW trip!

Butterfly123

DIS Veteran
I am a DL vet planning our first family trip to WDW. There are five of us, the youngest being 19, so no little ones along. We have limited times when it would be possible for us all to go together, so my choices range from July 1 through the second week in September. So would planning a trip right after Labor Day be smart? I don't know what type of events at WDW might impact a trip at this time. Would there be shorter hours and limited entertainment versus the summer, say July?

Please help a WDW newbie out! I am used to very limited planning for DL. Step one is choosing our vacation dates. Then comes a whole lotta learning about everything else!!!

Thanks, but I am need of the opposite advice! DL is my home park...I need advice for WDW. Any thread like this for the reverse?

Thanks, but I am need of the opposite advice! DL is my home park...I need advice for WDW. Any thread like this for the reverse?

Hence the delete. I jumped the gun there, so sorry! There's nothing as comprehensive in the reverse that I know of. I do know there are Disneyland versus Walt Disney World and first time visit Disney World posts on Disney Tourist Blog that are really good. What you need to be aware of and you'll pick up in the guidance that you do find is how different the weather, the necessity to plan in advance, and the distance that you're going to cover between everything that you visit all are. Also the primacy of advance dining reservations over counter service, and the incredible convenience of FastPass+, the My Disney Experience app, and MagicBands. Unlike DLR (my home park as well), the more you plan your WDW trip, the less stressful it is when you get there. It's kind of the opposite of what you're used to from DLR. Beginning the last week in August, WDW hits one of its low seasons and park hours and entertainment dry up a bit. The third week in September is Epcot's popular annual Food & Wine festival--I know it's just out of your window, but if you can, something to consider.

Last edited:

Last week of August is good because things are pretty relaxed and the parks usually still operate under their summer hours, but if you want to go to the Halloween event in magic Kingdom and the aforementioned Food & Wine Festival in Epcot mid-September would be a good choice if that's plausible for you. (And if you can't do mid-September but still want to go to the Halloween Party early September works fine.)

I love going in July. We have been the last two Julys and I really enjoy the 4th of July fireworks, the extended park and pool hours, and the lower crowds (in the last year we went in twice in July and once in September, February, and April, and both July trips were less crowded than any of the others).

The heat is a killer, but the heat will be there for most of your possible dates.

I imagine that the week after Labor Day will be one of the best weeks to go as far as crowds go, but it will also be a week with shorter park hours. One of the reasons I really like late park hours (like they have in July) is because I just enjoy being in the parks late at night. It is much cooler and less crowded. A lot of the small children and their families are not in the parks late at night. Early September crowds may not be as big, but you won't have an opportunity to stay in the parks as later, either.

In my experience, September weather has not been as good as July weather (September has had more rain and storms. July can have storms, but we have experienced more rain in September than in July). The first week or two in September is peak hurricane season. If you are flying, that is a small risk you take for those weeks.

If price is a big deal, then your August/September dates may be cheaper than July. September tends to have lower room rates.

We do love MNSSHP. It is very special if you can be there during a party date, but it might be a risk to plan a trip for MNSSHP and have them not have one available for your dates. This year they start very early (September 2nd), and it is likely that they will start early again next year, but no guarantee.

Beginning of May would be my first pick but we went July which was a first summer time trip for us ever and loved it. Would not hesitate to go that time again.

September is my least favorite. Have done it many times but eventually realized it is not that great. It is super hot like July but you do not get the long hours to choose from like other times of the year. Also there is usually more down for rehabs. Restaurants are super crowded and you have to jump through hoops to get reservations due to free dining. (not that great of deal imho but as they say your your mileage may vary)

Do the extended park hours shorten after Labor Day, like at DL?
Yes in general but many times they close early all but a couple of nights for the MNSSH party. This is MK of course the other parks have varying hours except Epcot which is always 9 when not an EMH.

ETA: to say that yes the same principles apply to WDW that apply to DL when it comes to going at low season. Lower hours, certain restaurants closed and more rehabs. WDW in July is like DL in July. More people = more things up and running and more workers around. etc.

Last edited:
You can find the current planned park hours on the web site to help you determine what will work best for your family.

Please let us know how else we can help you plan your trip to the world.

We love going in September! Schools are back in session and that automatically makes the crowds more manageable. It is still plenty warm enough for pool time, there has traditionally been "Free Dining" offered during those weeks, but that of course is not guaranteed, and the crowds are easier.

Of the dates you mention, I would also suggest post Labor Day. The heat and humidity are still there but the crowds are lower than July.

The last week of August. You can get some good deals then too. We've done it twice and crowds are low and we've gotten amazing deals on resorts.

We had really good weather and crowds this summer (July 6-13), but there's a BB offer for June 30-July 5 that might bump the crowds up during that time next year.

September is great because kids are back in schools and crowds are (somewhat) lighter. Weather will be hot and humid with rain showers.

I love September just because it is less crowded, a little less hot and humid than summer months and the parks are all decorated for Halloween. Plus you can attend MNSSHP which is lots of fun. I traveled on the second week of september a few years ago and had great weather. Most days we did early morning park visits and took advantage of the pool in the afternoon, then would head back to the parks in the evening. It was great!

I would go as late in September as possible .

I have a neighbor who concurs with this. She says late September and just before spring break are good as it gets.

The last week of August. You can get some good deals then too. We've done it twice and crowds are low and we've gotten amazing deals on resorts.

This, especially this year. We're going 8/25-8/30 and the resort offers, at least for the Deluxes, have been amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter