Help Choosing a Resort

StephC1217

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip for Nov/Dec. 2017. The last time we went to WDW was October 2011 with my parents and we stayed at Port Orleans FQ with free dining. We have our fingers crossed to get Free Dining again this time but heard you are not eligible at POFQ anymore so trying to decide where to stay this time.

Background Info- it is me, my husband, my son who will be 11, and our new son that we are expecting in April 2017 so he will be about 6-7 months old. We are also traveling with my parents again who will be 80 this time around. They are in great shape- we go away with them every year- but they do get tired from walking and need to take more breaks these days.

I am currently trying to decide between two resorts- Pop Century and Coronado Springs. I am looking into a Value as more affordable (we are paying for my parents as well) but if we got free dining, we would upgrade to regular dining plan. We are looking into Moderate as a better pool for my older son/ better accommodations. However, we do spend a lot of time at parks so pool is not a deal breaker but would probably try to fit in some swimming here and there. We are unsure at this time if we would use buses or rent a van like we did last time.

Just wondering which one everyone would choose based on cost, easier time for my parents to walk to food courts, having an infant, etc. Is one better than the other? I would try to get a room with preferred location to minimize walking when possible. Is the moderate worth the extra cost?

POFQ. Although its been excluded from FD its such a small resort, its perfect for getting back to the room quickly after a long day at the park and having everything nearby.

I think a moderate would be good for having your parents along. They are more peaceful in general than the values. I'd go with CSR in a preferred room if you don't want to stay at POFQ again.

I would vote Pop because I've only been there and it's cheaper and more fun for kids because of the theming. However, having your parents with you, they would probably prefer Coronado. Discuss it with them to see if it matters to them. We took my MIL to Sports and she actually enjoyed it. She has arthritis bad so we did get a preferred room. Have fun!

I would like to point out that Free Dining is unlikely to happen in Nov/Dec

As far as a resort, have you looked into pricing the Art of Animation Family suites. It might be a viable alternative for you.

Also remember that CSR is a big convention resort and the Disney theming isn't as abundant as it is at other resorts

I would choose CSR in a preferred room or in business class. That would be easy for your parents getting around. The difference in cost would be relatively small because you don't have to pay to upgrade the dining plan at a moderate like you do at the value resorts. The pool is better for your son, there are more facilities, better dining options, a nicer atmosphere, and better rooms than at Pop.

POP is our favorite Value and CSR our favorite moderate.

It would boil down to end cost:
CSR with Free DDP
vs
POP with Free QSDP upgraded to DDP (upgrade a must for us)

If it's not a huge amount I would go with CSR:
- On DDP, CSR has LOTS of options for dining
- Queen Beds (I sleep better there than any other WDW hotel so far)
- Doors to shut off bath area
- Totally relaxing and enjoyable main pool if you or folks want down time

If it's in budget, choose CSR. It meets a lot of your criteria...
- great pool + slide for your son
- plentiful dining options
- queen beds, upgraded mattresses
- central location w/ great busing
- each section is close to a bus stop, plus food and drink refills at the Dig Site mean you are always a close walk to whatever you need

Thank you to everyone for your replies!! I think I am definitely leaning towards CSR!

Also, I am curious Corky- why you think it is unlikely that there will be free dining offered in Nov/ Dec.? I have researched the dates that it is historically offered (week after Thanksgiving/2nd week of December) as well as the current bounce back free dining offers that are being received...

Last edited:
Have you considered Art of Animation? We were there in a standard room on our last trip. The pool was pretty awesome... the best of the value's by far. We've done Pop and All Stars in the past as well.

the first time we went with free dining the price for value and upgrade to regular dining plan vs moderate resort including regular dining plan was only $40 difference for the whole week total. So we chose the moderate (coronado) and have since stayed at the other moderates since. We are staying at CSR again this summer. For the small difference in price I would choose a moderate any day over a value. Nothing wrong with a value resort but Moderate resorts are where it's at for us! More relaxing.

Just wrote to my travel agent and had her book CSR! Thanks for all of the help. Any particular location that we should request that would be good for my parents?

Just wrote to my travel agent and had her book CSR! Thanks for all of the help. Any particular location that we should request that would be good for my parents?

Depending on the rehab construction...
- ask for Ranchos 7B if you want a renovated room that is close to the pool & a bus stop
- Cabanas 8A or 8B may be under construction, but they are the closest to the foot bridge, pool, and a bus stop
- Casitas 4 is close to the first park pick up bus and one of the closest non-preferred rooms to the food court/main building

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter