Help a fella out please

burnaroonie

Happy Together!
Hello everyone! Just pulled the trigger on a new Thor motorhome and would like to have some feedback on all the important things I'll need to know 2 make our camping experience as pleasant as possible. I am a complete newbie so any information will be appreciated. A to Z it's what I will need and nothing is to an important to mention. I know I always get good feedback here I would really appreciate your help once again. Our unit is 23 feet long with all the bells and whistles that I'm not used to using. Thanks in advance! :-)

Best advice I can give is to take it for a trip locally to make sure you have what you need. (Hoses, cables, utensils, blocks, chairs, etc..). Even outside the house in the driveway (resisting the temptation to go in to the house). That is a good way to test it out before you travel hundreds (or thousands) of miles from home.

Accept the idea that stuff will break. And that it will usually be your fault. Tensions/stress may get to you but don't let anyone around you know. Bury the pain deep inside lol.

When you have a spouse or loved one spot for you while you back up, exercise patience.

I like the close-by trip ideas, or even driveway camping. First camping trip should be to a nice park, with level pads. Book a pull through for your first few times out.

Don't bother buying a bunch a stuff that you think you may need. Use the RV for a bit first.

When you have a spouse or loved one spot for you while you back up, exercise patience.
A double "Amen" to this. ::yes::

I will also say that our first few trips out we had nothing but disposable dishes/utensils (Forks/knives/spoons). We have since bought durable dishes but still bring the disposable stuff.

Also, for us, it was worthwhile to get a separate set of pots/pans. We did not go on the cheap either. (we did early on, which is why I don't do it now).

Don't bother buying a bunch a stuff that you think you may need. Use the RV for a bit first.
adding to this, if you think you need it, take it from the house first before you buy it. See if you truly need it (or want it) before you go out and buy it.

Great posts so far. Definitely take it to a state park or something close by for a long weekend. Just make sure you have the proper electrical adapters. Your motorhome is most likely 50A and most state parks are 30A so you'll need a cheap adapter: 50A female to 30A male.

Wal-Mart camping section is your friend.

What is the brand name of your motorhome?

Great posts so far. Definitely take it to a state park or something close by for a long weekend. Just make sure you have the proper electrical adapters. Your motorhome is most likely 50A and most state parks are 30A so you'll need a cheap adapter: 50A female to 30A male.

Wal-Mart camping section is your friend.

What is the brand name of your motorhome?
We went for a Thor Freedom Elite 23 H. Figured the smaller size and lower cost would be a great place to start. Mostly just the wife and I, so we won't need too much space. Lots of our regular camp supplies will transfer, just not wanting to be too surprised about the things everyone deals with.

Looks like a beautiful camper. I remember 12 years ago when we bought our first travel trailer. It was a fantastic investment for a ton of wonderful memories for our family. Five campers later, we still love the RV life.

The reason I ask is some manufacturers have their own forum websites that can be quite helpful. Thor may have one which includes your unit if you search. I'm a member of the Forest River forum and its quite helpful.

You can join www.rv.net/forum and get some help there as well. But just be warned. In all honesty, there are a lot of rude, obnoxious people there. Its weird. But its true. Plenty of wonderful people there to help you out but also plenty of old, stuffy, "Get off my lawn!" types as well.

Looks like a beautiful camper. I remember 12 years ago when we bought our first travel trailer. It was a fantastic investment for a ton of wonderful memories for our family. Five campers later, we still love the RV life.

The reason I ask is some manufacturers have their own forum websites that can be quite helpful. Thor may have one which includes your unit if you search. I'm a member of the Forest River forum and its quite helpful.

You can join www.rv.net/forum and get some help there as well. But just be warned. In all honesty, there are a lot of rude, obnoxious people there. Its weird. But its true. Plenty of wonderful people there to help you out but also plenty of old, stuffy, "Get off my lawn!" types as well.
Hey thanks for the info on the references about other forums! I like it here for that reason that not everybody is out to prove that they're better than anybody else and seem to be extremely knowledgeable. we have several local trips planned the kind of get used to the camper and figure out some of the do's and don'ts. I know things are different on various campers but everybody seems to deal with one or two little things together. To be honest it's kind of overwhelming but I think I'll get over but pretty soon. Thanks again for your info and hope to see you down the road somewhere. taking her to the Fort from Tennessee in February and hopefully one of many trips in the following years. camping seems to bring out the best in my wife and myself and we always have a good time no matter what the weather or trip or anything that goes right or wrong.

Here is an list to check out and see what you might need.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/packing-list-for-campers.1115732/
Oh thank you so very much! That's a big step forward and a lot different from what we used in our small camper. I know we always leave something behind and now with different lists on different storage areas will be able to keep a lot of the things intact and refill as needed and not be running around at the last minute I'm forgetting something. everybody on this board is really great and I appreciate all the helpful tips and information that I get.

Okay... .Time for the "Crappy" tip (Pun intended).

Bring gloves... Rubber or similar preferred. Even the cleanest of black/grey water drain systems can still get messy. It's always nice to have a pair of gloves appropriate for connecting/disconnecting the hoses and what not. Even in the end, still wash your hands.

Also, if you are hooked up to sewer, it is NOT a good idea to leave the drains open, particularly for the "Black" water. Sewer gas can come back up into the tanks if you do. The grey water is not as bad to leave open as most grey water drains have a "Trap" to keep out the gases, but the toilet is usually just a valve (or double valve) that opens up to drop the waste into the tank.

When at the fort, because my DW and DD's can't take brief "Camping" showers, our Grey tank fills up quickly. (in 1 day, easily), so I leave the grey water drain open. When it's time to empty the "Black" water tank, I close the Grey water tank in the morning (at least until the showers are done), then I empty the BLACK water tank (solo). Once it's done, I then close the black water tank valve and follow by opening the grey water to flush the hose clean.

Next important tip. NEVER EVER use the green hose. Okay, I know you may have used the green hose to drink out of at home when you were a kid, but here.... The green hoses at the fort may also have been used to flush the sewer hoses or worse. ALWAYS use a Potable Water (typically white) hose for your clean/potable water needs. I also use a filter on my line as well.

Okay... .Time for the "Crappy" tip (Pun intended).

Bring gloves... Rubber or similar preferred. Even the cleanest of black/grey water drain systems can still get messy. It's always nice to have a pair of gloves appropriate for connecting/disconnecting the hoses and what not. Even in the end, still wash your hands.

Also, if you are hooked up to sewer, it is NOT a good idea to leave the drains open, particularly for the "Black" water. Sewer gas can come back up into the tanks if you do. The grey water is not as bad to leave open as most grey water drains have a "Trap" to keep out the gases, but the toilet is usually just a valve (or double valve) that opens up to drop the waste into the tank.

When at the fort, because my DW and DD's can't take brief "Camping" showers, our Grey tank fills up quickly. (in 1 day, easily), so I leave the grey water drain open. When it's time to empty the "Black" water tank, I close the Grey water tank in the morning (at least until the showers are done), then I empty the BLACK water tank (solo). Once it's done, I then close the black water tank valve and follow by opening the grey water to flush the hose clean.

Next important tip. NEVER EVER use the green hose. Okay, I know you may have used the green hose to drink out of at home when you were a kid, but here.... The green hoses at the fort may also have been used to flush the sewer hoses or worse. ALWAYS use a Potable Water (typically white) hose for your clean/potable water needs. I also use a filter on my line as well.
Ooooooo jeez, I knew we would get to this. Yes I have a big package of disposable rubber gloves I used to run a cleaning service so I have plenty of those to spare. I promise I won't drink from the green hose! LOL I prefer my water from a food grade thank you! I'm glad somebody brought this up because my wife was just kind of looking at me funny when I started discussing it. I have a feeling that's my job. I appreciate all the tips and we have a lot of camping gear already so I won't be buying the whole lot to begin with. Just the hoses and things like that. Now I do love to cook so I may have to invest in a good sturdy stainless steel set of pans. Or that will be my excuse anyway! Thanks again and if you think of anything else why throw it out there! Of course learning is the adventure but I was never good at Learning. My wife will tell you this is a fact!

Ooooooo jeez, I knew we would get to this. Yes I have a big package of disposable rubber gloves I used to run a cleaning service so I have plenty of those to spare. I promise I won't drink from the green hose! LOL I prefer my water from a food grade thank you! I'm glad somebody brought this up because my wife was just kind of looking at me funny when I started discussing it. I have a feeling that's my job. I appreciate all the tips and we have a lot of camping gear already so I won't be buying the whole lot to begin with. Just the hoses and things like that. Now I do love to cook so I may have to invest in a good sturdy stainless steel set of pans. Or that will be my excuse anyway! Thanks again and if you think of anything else why throw it out there! Of course learning is the adventure but I was never good at Learning. My wife will tell you this is a fact!
Also thanks for the tips on the tanks and the opening and closing thereof. I never thought about gas backing up. I don't think I want to be blamed for every smell that comes out of there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter