Hello

ilovedisneymm

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Fort Wilderness Campers. I have been thinking of you all and been lurking every now and then. Life has been busy here inu central Illinois. Baby Charlotte arrived 6 days early on July 12. We labored at the hospital for less than 3 hours and I was able to stay in my own clothes, stay walking and moving through contractions until it was go time. No epi, no meds. A wonderful delivery! Charlotte is beautiful, healthy, and perfect in every way. Last time we were at the fort was when I was just at the end of my first trimester and was having difficulties with nausea and fatigue. Those continued throughout the entire pregnancy. I don't think I stayed awake past eight pm on any given night. The last six weeks of the pregnancy were the best! I finally felt good and took the kids to the pool daily. I swam 20 laps the day before she arrived and watch my Grace jump off the high dive for the first time too. We really packed a full three months worth of summer fun into those last few weeks. Kids are doing well. My oldest is still in college and still driving me crazy! The Grace & Daniel challenge each other daily, but both doing great. Both doing well in their homeschool work this year. We finally started on our forever country home this past fall. I have been playing general contractor and this has proven to be more time consuming than I ever expected! We hired out a company to dig the basement and do the foundation. Between our builder (who has been a family friend for thirty years and also hubby worked for him for 10 yrs though high school/college) and hubby it has been about 50/50 on the work load. We are now at insulation stage. We had a few people bid the job and since this is our "to death do we part home" six inch exterior walls and superior insulation were a must. Long story short...after a few bids on closed/open spray foam, hubby decided that he is just going to do that part himself too. So he look off to Michigan on Friday and we are now proud owners of a closed cell/open cell commercial grade foam machine. Oh boy. He sold me on it when he said the machine will pay for itself once we do our home and our future farm shed. Plus any friends/farmers/family that are to put up future home or insulated sheds would be potential income. The drywallers come in on Thursday and from that point forward, all the interior work we will do including building the cabinets. I didn't book a trip this January cause I didn't know where we would be with the house. Plus, I never thought I would want to camp with a baby. Charlotte has proven to be our best baby yet. She is a SLEEPER. Thank you Jesus! Well, she sleeps all night in her crib. I can't believe that. I never had a baby do that before. Sleep not attached to the boob. It is fantastic! Although, I can't put her down in the day. She won't nap unless I'm holding her. I don't care though. I'll hold that baby all day long cause she is adorable and she sleeps at night. I call that a win. Who cares I can only do 90 minutes of work in a given day right?!?! I looked at several campers again over spring & summer and still unable to pull the trigger on anything. For as much as we camp, which is only once a year at the fort, it makes since to stay in tents. I haven't booked anything because I didn't know where we would be with the house. I would like to be in a good place by the end of February with eveything and take a trip. One thing we have been tossing around is just doing one tent instead of two. Simplifing things a bit with our set up and having hubby drive down with the van and golf cart and set things up. I could leave with the kids the next day and fly in. Flight are pretty cheap in Feb. I think I would choke the kids if I had to drive with them for 16 hours. They use to travel so well....now I can barely go 30 minutes with them in a vehicle. Maybe it's that age, they like to fight about everything right now. Bless their little hearts!!! So that is an option I have been tossing around. I think I'll wait until first part of January before finalizing our vacation plans. I know one thing, if we do come down this winter, I'm just not going to do any preplanning on ressies or fast passes, I'm just not! I really need to be in a good spot with the house before I could comfortably go away and relax. We certainly won't be done done with the house but it could be comfortable and we could be living there by mid February. Really miss the fort & really miss interacting in this group. I hope the whirlwind of 2016 is winding down and 2017 will prove to be a little less chaotic. We built a smaller home. I call it my Goldie Bear home "not too big and not too small....just right" and my Little House of the Prairie home. Here are a few pictures of Miss Charlotte and the new house. Our staircase is an open concept and what is there now is temporary. The Amish are building us an alder staircase as we speak. That cut out is our alcove and we will be putting in a wood stove soon.

baby.jpg
bed.jpg
charchar.jpg
Screen shot 2016-12-18 at 11.00.29 AM.png
Screen shot 2016-12-18 at 10.59.59 AM.png

Last edited:
Your daughter is so precious.

Really hope you aren't running that heater inside the house while working on it. That type of heater should be vented with the back end to fresh air. All it is doing, if running in that picture is burning off all the oxygen in the house and then you will get carbon monoxide once all the fresh air is gone. I work construction and see a lot of these and the round pot heaters that hook to propane and the contractors have them hanging in the basements with no fresh air. We open the access to get down in the basements and it's just instant carbon monoxide. We still work in those types of conditions knowing that it is not safe, but we have a job to do. Have seen a few people go to the hospital because of it. Once you get carbon monoxide poisoning you are out to get it quicker than someone that has not had it.

Once again your daughter is adorable, congratulations.

Thank you Vince both for the complement on our new baby and your concerns.

The first pic with the kids was taken a few weeks ago prior to needing heaters. The second is with hubby only working in the house. Yes, it would not be a good idea to run them inside if the house was sealed up, but it's not sealed up. The heat is escaping through the eves as fast as those heaters are sending it out.

Melissa,

Your daughter is beautiful and of course the photographer does a great job. Glad to hear you and your family are doing well. I was thinking about you as we close in on our Jan trip.

Happy holidays.

Melissa,

Congrats on starting on the new house. If this is where you see yourself staying for many years, then it's worth it to do it right and not rush things.

Charlotte sure is cute. And a sleeper? Boy you are really fortunate - were your other kids early sleepers like that? Only one of our three was.

February is a great time weather wise at the Fort. January is probably the coldest month but it can have big swings between warm days and cold days. February is a little more stable in that regard. You'll enjoy it. And the "hubby drive, you fly with the kids" strategy is probably a good fit - the best of both worlds (as long as you don't have trouble when it's your time to get to the airport).

We know you got your hands full but it's good to hear from you.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Melissa, so good to hear from you. Congratulations on your new home. We used spray insulation on our new home, and last year,applied it to a new machine shed/shop. Great investment, and great for this bitter cold we are having now. Love the pictures. We are heading to the Fort in 9 Days. Sorry we will not see you this time. Blessings to you and your family. Have a healthy and happy 2017, and good luck on your next camping trip.

Great to hear from you again, Melissa. I was wondering how the rest of the pregnancy went. Glad the last 2 months were better. Congrats on Charlotte. She looks adorable and those are wonderful baby pics.

The new home is exciting. I like that "Goldilocks" description. It sounds perfect. My first house, when we lived in the country, had 2X6 walls. It comes in handy on the winter nights like we are having now.

We have done the drive and fly thing before when I had a conference in Orlando. It works well with tight schedules or little ones that don't travel well. Since I do all the driving with the camper, it doesn't make any difference if DW and DS fly down. Now, if I could just figure a way to fly the camper down too. :D

Enjoy the new baby and post as you can. If you manage to get a winter/spring trip to the Fort in, let us know how it's going.

j

Merry Christmas to you, Kris, Bert, and the rock stars. I have been thinking of you all too. Bummed to not be coming down in January. Looks like so many of you are. I will miss the three other families on the 1500 loop that are their annually. Hope you have a great trip and I will be looking forward to your report and photos!

Melissa,

Your daughter is beautiful and of course the photographer does a great job. Glad to hear you and your family are doing well. I was thinking about you as we close in on our Jan trip.

Happy holidays.

Hello Ed.

Things should be winding down now and I look forward to hearing about your upcoming trip. January was a bit cool last year. I was hoping the end of February would bring better weather. I looked into the last week in February & the first week in March and according to the internet, crowds are low. Prices however, are running at $128 - $139 for full hook up. Ouch! But for the better weather, more pool days, and lower decimal noise level...I guess the price would be justified.

Kids have never been on a plane, I think (hope) they would be fine. If they can do Space Mountain, surely they can do a plane too. Flying out of Chicago would be cheaper, but it also would be a three hour one way drive. You never know what end of February weather can bring and don't want to risk ice or snow. I wont drive in that. Right now we are having an ice storm. Mass was canceled today and schools closed tomorrow. Bloomington is a small little airport, only an easy hour drive from here and free parking. Flights are a bit higher, but would be so much easier to do.

Yes, a sleeper! God Bless her sweet little heart. 10 pm - 7 or 8 am. All three kids before her would not sleep in their crib and never more than 2 hours at a time untill they were close to one year old.

Melissa,

Congrats on starting on the new house. If this is where you see yourself staying for many years, then it's worth it to do it right and not rush things.

Charlotte sure is cute. And a sleeper? Boy you are really fortunate - were your other kids early sleepers like that? Only one of our three was.

February is a great time weather wise at the Fort. January is probably the coldest month but it can have big swings between warm days and cold days. February is a little more stable in that regard. You'll enjoy it. And the "hubby drive, you fly with the kids" strategy is probably a good fit - the best of both worlds (as long as you don't have trouble when it's your time to get to the airport).

We know you got your hands full but it's good to hear from you.

Bama Ed

Hello Barb!!! You tell Bill we say hello! Sure will miss your golf cart drive byes. Good to know on the foam insulation! Nine days...hurray for you all. I take it this trip will be in the new 5th wheel? Nice. Safe travels and pray the weather will be on your side or should I say behind you both ways. I will look forward to your report.

Melissa, so good to hear from you. Congratulations on your new home. We used spray insulation on our new home, and last year,applied it to a new machine shed/shop. Great investment, and great for this bitter cold we are having now. Love the pictures. We are heading to the Fort in 9 Days. Sorry we will not see you this time. Blessings to you and your family. Have a healthy and happy 2017, and good luck on your next camping trip.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Jim. I sure will keep you updated if we go. Last time we talked, you just purchased yourself a nice new 5th wheel. How did it treat you this summer?

Great to hear from you again, Melissa. I was wondering how the rest of the pregnancy went. Glad the last 2 months were better. Congrats on Charlotte. She looks adorable and those are wonderful baby pics.

The new home is exciting. I like that "Goldilocks" description. It sounds perfect. My first house, when we lived in the country, had 2X6 walls. It comes in handy on the winter nights like we are having now.

We have done the drive and fly thing before when I had a conference in Orlando. It works well with tight schedules or little ones that don't travel well. Since I do all the driving with the camper, it doesn't make any difference if DW and DS fly down. Now, if I could just figure a way to fly the camper down too. :D

Enjoy the new baby and post as you can. If you manage to get a winter/spring trip to the Fort in, let us know how it's going.

j

We are so glad to hear from you again. Charlotte is beautiful. The new house is gonna be awesome.

Your baby is gorgeous! Only one of mine slept well and I remember waking up in a panic at night wondering if he was alright. I miss the nursing years:( We arrive at the Fort in two weeks and can't wait! Good luck with the house build!

Merry Christmas Jim. I sure will keep you updated if we go. Last time we talked, you just purchased yourself a nice new 5th wheel. How did it treat you this summer?
Merry Christmas to you too. We celebrated with my family this weekend. My dad lives at Lake of the Ozarks and is involved with Salvation Army and a number of other volunteer/not for profit groups. It was just easier for him to do things away from the actual weekend. Ian's birthday was this week, so we did both things in one.

The camper was great. Everything we wanted. We camped 40 nights in it this season. A full week at Gulf State Park with a number of the DIS'ers on here. A week in Gatlinburg and numerous weekends all over the Midwest. We did one weekend at Sangchris SP and hit the Springfield/Lincoln things. I was thinking about you since we were so close.

We did have a little excitement/disappointment/frustration with the camper. On the way to Gatlinburg the trailer got hit by a car trying to avoid rear ending someone.

20160730_133319-640x360_zpsi7r7ym2v.jpg~original
20160730_133425-640x360_zpsx4fggny1.jpg~original

We were able to continue and enjoy our vacation (and the rest of the camping season). The poor girl's car that hit us was totaled. One good thing that came out of it was I made it to Indiana Dunes State Park on the way to the factory to get the damage repaired. I have always wanted to stay there since we drove past it racing. The campground is fantastic (almost as good as the Fort) and the lake reminds me, so much, of the ocean. I'm already planning a birthday trip in July. It's 6 hours closer than the Gulf coast.

j

Beautiful Baby. I remember when mine was that young. Mine wouldn't go to sleep without me or the DW holding her until she was about 5 months old, but we took turns and made it through.

Congrats on the progress on the house. I have to admit, I am a bit jealous. Our current housing situation right now is not what we would call "Ideal" and we have been looking for our own "Forever Home". Problem is, is that the ones we both like (and can agree on) are WAY too expensive (both in cost and property taxes). To that end we have been looking for some land (ideally in the country) and considered building a house to our liking (instead of someone else's tastes). Haven't found the right one yet, but we keep looking.

I will say, that I am in the process of using Spray Foam to do our attic Ceiling. I am very happy with how well the stuff works and the cost of the foam is definitely worth the heating (and cooling) it saves.

Good luck on the house, the trip and once again congrats on your little bundle of joy... She is gorgeous!

Merry Christmas to you too. We celebrated with my family this weekend. My dad lives at Lake of the Ozarks and is involved with Salvation Army and a number of other volunteer/not for profit groups. It was just easier for him to do things away from the actual weekend. Ian's birthday was this week, so we did both things in one.

The camper was great. Everything we wanted. We camped 40 nights in it this season. A full week at Gulf State Park with a number of the DIS'ers on here. A week in Gatlinburg and numerous weekends all over the Midwest. We did one weekend at Sangchris SP and hit the Springfield/Lincoln things. I was thinking about you since we were so close.

We did have a little excitement/disappointment/frustration with the camper. On the way to Gatlinburg the trailer got hit by a car trying to avoid rear ending someone.

20160730_133319-640x360_zpsi7r7ym2v.jpg~original
20160730_133425-640x360_zpsx4fggny1.jpg~original

We were able to continue and enjoy our vacation (and the rest of the camping season). The poor girl's car that hit us was totaled. One good thing that came out of it was I made it to Indiana Dunes State Park on the way to the factory to get the damage repaired. I have always wanted to stay there since we drove past it racing. The campground is fantastic (almost as good as the Fort) and the lake reminds me, so much, of the ocean. I'm already planning a birthday trip in July. It's 6 hours closer than the Gulf coast.

j

So how'd the repair turn out?

So how'd the repair turn out?
The repair came out great. Here's a pic the day we picked it up and drove to Ft Wayne, IN to see some friends. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the panel that wraps from the pin box to the front basement. The original was smooth and shiny. The replacement is a rough sheet plastic. I'm sure it handles rocks and bugs much better, but it looks out of place, especially since the basement door is still smooth and shiny. The factory said it is what the supplier makes now for this model. It would be interesting to see a 2017 and confirm it has this type of panel now.

20161021_131325-1280x720_zps782lsxcg.jpg~original

j

The repair came out great. Here's a pic the day we picked it up and drove to Ft Wayne, IN to see some friends. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the panel that wraps from the pin box to the front basement. The original was smooth and shiny. The replacement is a rough sheet plastic. I'm sure it handles rocks and bugs much better, but it looks out of place, especially since the basement door is still smooth and shiny. The factory said it is what the supplier makes now for this model. It would be interesting to see a 2017 and confirm it has this type of panel now.

20161021_131325-1280x720_zps782lsxcg.jpg~original

j

Great to hear. That rough stuff is likely TPO of some sort. A bit more durable than the smooth filon. Looks great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter