Hello!! Long time no see Disboards!! Need some advice

Mom of 3 Princesses

Mouseketeer
Well, since I was last here and planned a trip, I have had more babies and more excuses to keep going to Disney.

I could use some advice though. This Nov, I am planning to rent (or try) some points and go DVC. So I was looking at 2 places.. OKW and AK.

Here is the thing, this is the first time I will go to Disney alone with my then 4 and then 9 year old children. I have never stayed on the OKW or the AK property. I would love to hear your opinions on which on you think might work out best.

We are 90% exclusive MK peoples. My kids are NOT morning people. I am pretty good with knowing that they have had enough and putting the kybosh on activities and returning to the resort for downtime. I plan to go 8 days or so, I can bet that about 2 of those days, we will not go to the parks.. or maybe even 3 of those days. We don't shop, so they craziness of Disney Springs may be a little overwhelming. My daughter is also gets overstimulated (she is 9) but we usually are able to keep it low key, and she does well..

They are pretty close to Mommy, so they will behave and stay close, but I want them to have fun even in their down time. I have thought about the whole "see the animals" and I am not sure if it warrants a stay somewhere just for that.

I have stayed at mnay other resorts.. but my FAVORITE is Port Orleans FQ.. even over the Poly and Cont. and WL (ducks down). I love it cause it is fun, but low key, but also really fun ;).

WOULD LOVE opinions...!! (about the resorts if not necessarily the DVC ;) But I will take opinions on the standard deluxe rooms t00)

We really love AKL. It's a beautiful, unique resort. You will hear complaints about the bus rides times (esp to MK) but I have never had an issue. Yes, the ride is a bit further. No, it's not a big deal. There are always things going on - take advantage of the kids crafts, story time, etc. There is a decent pool with decent quick-serve. I thinks its worth the extra $$ for a savannah view - especially if you will spend time in the resort. So nice to wake up with giraffes right outside your window.

Regardless, a Disney trip is what you make it - with some planning and a good attitude, you can have a magical time no matter where you stay. Enjoy.

Hmmm... is there a reason why you have limited yourself to OkW and AKV? If I was looking for an affordable option with lots of activities I would actually choose option 3, SSR. And here's why...SSR has two great feature pools, meaning two great water slides to try. SSR also has an amazing club house that offers all sorts of activities including pool, shuffle puck, shuffle board, fuseball, corn hole, pretty much any kind of outdoor game you can imagine. We've spend full days just enjoying the various clubhouse activities. You can also easily walk to Disney springs for dinner.

If you plan to stay in a studio, you should know that OKW has two queen beds, but AKV will have a queen and a sleeper sofa. The pools at AKV are way better than OKW, especially the pool at Kidani. I would stay at AKV over OKW, the atmosphere is better, and the pools are nicer plus the animals are pretty cool. OKW is mostly like a Florida apartment complex, kind of blah, but the rooms are huge.

I haven't stayed at either resort you mention, but it seems like your interest in those resorts is a bit at odds with what you are describing looking for. I immediately think of you returning to POFQ, or looking at an MK area resort. WL or FW would be great for easy access to MK and lots of fun activities for down time. I understand if cost is prohibitive for the monorail resorts, but I would widen your search a bit based on what you are describing. Or, maybe book 1/2 the stay at AKL, and 1/2 the stay somewhere closer to MK.

Florida resident here, we have actually done two trips to AKL where we didn't even go to the parks and just hung out with our kids at the resort. My kids are now teens but even when they were younger they loved staying here. Both pools areas are great and unlike the other so different experiences at each. When my children were younger they loved the pool games/activities that the cast members lead at the pools. The animal viewing areas are cool and different experiences at night and day. There are so many neat things to partake in at this resort. My family loves staying here.

Florida resident here, we have actually done two trips to AKL where we didn't even go to the parks and just hung out with our kids at the resort. My kids are now teens but even when they were younger they loved staying here. Both pools areas are great and unlike the other so different experiences at each. When my children were younger they loved the pool games/activities that the cast members lead at the pools. The animal viewing areas are cool and different experiences at night and day. There are so many neat things to partake in at this resort. My family loves staying here.

Great news!! I showed my kiddos the pictures last night and they both (well the 3 year old KINDA) were very into the colors and rooms at AKL. I think that is going to be my choice! Thank you everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter