Hello-It'sSmee! A July 2020 "It's Good to Be Bad AND Back" TR *Link to new TR 2/21*

Yay...I'm finally caught up too. Read your Ricky story...this will be me next year when I think I'll most likely have TWO kids leaving. My 20yo is living at home this year, as his college is only a 15-20 minute commute and all the classes are likely to be online, at least the ones he has managed to register for at this point...which isn't many...another story. We want him to get out of the house have that true college experience at some point so hopefully next year he will leave...and my daughter will also likely be going somewhere. We shall see about her. I like all of your ideas with the cutout though...can't wait to see what you do. Maybe change it up every week?

So knowing I had no plans really to visit the World anytime soon I have been avoiding visiting the boards too much...but tonight things have changed. I'll update my TR soon! :)

I took a break from the boards but needed some Disney to cheer me up. I was thrown by the new name but so glad I found your report. I love to hear about your trips. Can’t wait to hear about all the fun.

Ali's actually coming home today. She lasted 5 days, lol!
Is she in residence already? Do they start back soon? Jack doesn't start the new semester until September 8th so isn't moving back until the week before which makes me a happy momma!
Due to all the new COVID restrictions only one parent can attend the orientation and that same parent can help with the move in, and while it would really be better for Steve to be there to help move stuff in, I need to be the one doing orientation if I want to know anything! Ricky will then go for good between the 21st and 23rd and we should have that date later this week.
You have to be the one to go.....mothers need ALL the details!
You may be saying "ah that's only 6 months....." but in 2019 the longest I went between my 8 trips was 3 months. Even more so in the midst of the pandemic I, as I'm sure many of you did, wondered when we'd get to return and if indeed it would be in 2021. Shake your heads if you want but when the parks closed back in March it hit me how serious the whole virus situation was and really was the first time I felt uneasy and nervous about what was ahead. With good reason we know now! So getting up early today and being able to walk down Main St. was something I needed!
I shake my head at the fact I once went five years between trips!!! I went three time sin 2019 and my sad Disney free year now is just unacceptable. But I will make u for it in 2021!
Let me tell you how wonderful it was to step off the bus at the park :love::love: Neither the signage telling guests about physical distancing and temp checks, the hand sanitizer stations by the tapstiles nor the signs only letting you go in one entrance of the Emporium and out the other could take away from my feelings when I saw this:
Just the best! :love:
Funny you still need to wear your mask when hanging with 999 Happy Haunts but I guess nobody is safe from the virus: ( It's a joke friends!)
Cute pic!
YAY! It was so cute and exciting and tons of the very few guests present were waving to him and yelling. If you're curious he did have an attendant with him up there as well who was wearing a mask :thumbsup2 As we were waiving I heard some tinkling; assuring myself it was not me (or my husband) doing the tinkling I instead put some thought into it and then realized we had another friend coming :tink: I only took a video and it's more bad than good so I'm not posting it but it was Tink on her Festival of Fanstasy Float. She came from the same place in Frontierland where the parade starts and had attendants with her and they played all sorts of songs from PP. I think she went all the way down to Main Street! She isn't usually a favorite of mine but this trip any character I saw was my favorite and she waved and waved to all who waved to her.
Love this!

We found out we move Ricky in on Wednesday😯 but luckily he comes back home with us! It's freshman orientation with a shorter orientation for parents,

Good luck! That stinks that you can't split up and you go to the orientation while Steve does the moving, but it is what it is, I guess. I wouldn't be able to not be there either. Is Steve driving with you and waiting in the car or something? Hiking up Sleeping Giant while you lug Ricky's furniture and boxes in? :P

So getting up early today and being able to walk down Main St. was something I needed!

I need that too ::yes::

We split up for the time being and as we walked back through Frontierland we saw our first Post-COVID character from a distance!

I'm loving all the spontaneous cute character sightings. It makes for kind of a fun, scavenger hunt!

Even more so in the midst of the pandemic I, as I'm sure many of you did, wondered when we'd get to return and if indeed it would be in 2021.

When they closed the parks down I was very worried. My daughter was there for the DCP and did not want to leave. So much uncertainty.

Unfortunately this was also the morning I learned some rough information: NO DISNEY DANISH.

I'm worried about all the things I'm going to look for and not find on our trip in October.

Safety check in! You can either consider this the boring part of the update or the good-to-know part depending on you. Either way it's cool!
By the elevators in the Villas were these wipe stands. Two days they were empty but otherwise they were full. While we did go to a couple other resorts I didn't notice them anywhere else but I may not have paid enough attention

Thanks for the information. I hope they have these at all Resorts open.

Let me tell you how wonderful it was to step off the bus at the park :love::love: Neither the signage telling guests about physical distancing and temp checks, the hand sanitizer stations by the tapstiles nor the signs only letting you go in one entrance of the Emporium and out the other could take away from my feelings when I saw this:

I can't wait to experience this. So happy you had your time in MK.

We split up for the time being and as we walked back through Frontierland we saw our first Post-COVID character from a distance!

I'm looking forward to these sightings too!

Over from Jenny Sanders trip report and all caught up!

Sending your first off to college is such an emotional time. Good luck and I hope all goes well with his move in and orientation.

There's nothing like being on Disney property and I'm glad the parks have reopened. It's good to read positive reports coming out of that area.

Are you doing a report on your Universal trip in June? I'd love to hear your thoughts of each and how things are being handled.

So glad I found this. I always enjoy reading your trip reports. My daughter and her boyfriend just left today for a week in Disney. I hope they get the short wait times but I'm not sure how I'd do with wearing a mask in the heat. Just how bad was it?

No useful advice on the college kid leaving home. My daughter moved to Denmark for a year (hubby is Danish) when she got married and I howled! Frequently!
Now they live about 5 minutes drive away and everyone is happy :goodvibes
Aw that's great! My granddaughter is also 5 minutes from us, we were thrilled when they bought the house. Steve talks about moving to Florida when Chris graduates but I just don't see him leaving grandkids :D
Quinnipiac , which I only know because of their Presidential Polls of Gravitas, has the division of labor all wrong. Dads or the bulkier figure of the parental unit heft the futon and mini-frig up the stairs and moms go to orientation and learn stuff they will never extract from their college student. What I learned at orientation: don’t be a helicopter parent. Let them solve things on their own. Don’t email professors. Make them try 3 times to solve things before you step in. Don’t email the Dean. Arrange for a 5 minute phone call every Sunday night and leave them alone. Don’t email the President. Don’t hover. And always know how much they owe, and make sure the bills are paid and stay in frequent communication with the Business office because we don’t trust your kid to read their emails.
Well that's all great advice, I don't remember my parents ever getting involved with teachers when I was in college! Of course it's easier now with emails and such, none of which we had "back then" lol. I do agree on needing the dads in many cases to help move in; stinks but on the other hand I'm so glad they're going on campus as some colleges aren't!
Mum's the word.

Oops! Poor choice of words.
Haha.......ha :P
Hours? Might be years. :sad1:
:sad:
Understandable; but I do hope it doesn't end up being that long!
Yeah... kinda taking the social distancing aspect out of the equation, there.
For sure. You would have thought they'd open another terminal area once they had THREE flights waiting in the same spot especially since other than a few stragglers the two Air Canada terminals next to JetBlue were empty! Really the one and only time I felt uncomfortable
So... you're probably not interested, but the plane must carry enough fuel to fly to it's destination, and then to its alternat airport and then for an additional 45 minutes. So why not just fill the tank? Because it costs more money to carry more weight.
You know, someone else explained this to me here! Being so schooled in aeronoautics it makes sense to me while at the same time.......it does not :crazy:
..through a face mask.
It's sad that now we think about that moment we're able to remove our masks and go "ah!!!!!!" as a good moment.........
Ah! I wonder if they'll keep that. I think I'd like that too.
We liked it; it would be nice if they kept it. Especially as long as it keeps them on a good schedule of not getting backed up with seating folks.
I'm glad to hear it's kept some soda shop vibe!
It did! I was afraid it wouldn't be neat and cute anymore either but it is and should be easier to get a reservation now!
Best? Better than 50s?
I think so! @kastoney may disagree :)

Really! Surprised. Was it good? What was it? Pianist? Singer?
It was last July and it was a guy playing guitar? One guy. We were only there for like 2 songs and he wasn't loud, kind of like.....background noise lol? I know that sounds bad and we were totally surprised.
what???? I am shocked! Shocked!!!
Even more shocking it wasn't the last time I got sangria this trip 🙀
This is NOT a criticism, but a genuine question. Did you feel odd at all about not social distancing between the two couples?
No no it's ok! And no.
I know it's not the same for everyone. I've hugged my 2 best friends the last couple months; at Ricky's graduation I hugged his friends whom we've known since they were babies/in pre-school and their moms hugged Ricky. When we first saw Renee and Chad I wasn't sure if they'd want to hug? But we all were like "heeeeeeyyyyyy" and they reached out and it felt fine and like we should ::yes:: and I've been in restaurants here sitting with friends next to me so that wasn't new. It was the same with Jenny and Joe, we did what we'd do any other time and felt fine :thumbsup2 Not that this really matters or makes a difference as far as getting sick but I have also been in touch with Renee and Jenny throughout this whole thing and know what they've been doing and how they've been, so felt no reason to worry.
totally get that. I cannot, for the life of me, understand people who wear them... while driving alone in their own car.
Ugh :thanks: for not doing this!!!!

I get that. Completely.
If it'd be me, DW would've said "So? How did it go? How was the move? What's the room like?" Plus one point three six million other questions.
Of which my answer would've been "I dunno. Okay I guess."

Just one answer. For all one point three six million questions.
EXACTLY why I am going, because you speak the truth my friend! You speak for all men.
Awesome title! :laughing:
Sometimes I hit it out of the park! Other times :sad2:
Ah! Wondered how that'd work.
That was one area I was super unsure they'd get right but they did
Wondered about that too. I mean... you are socially distanced automatically once on the ride.
Yeah well, as much as I'd love to be able to take the masks off it's probably because of any particles or bodily spillage that could be left on the rides? Plus if they allowed you to take them off on rides it would probably be harder to get guests to comply where they did have to wear them, sadly
Well, you had just passed the Tangled Tinkle Spot...
🚽
Have you forgotten that I'm a man? We don't get hints. You basically have to say "Hey pkondz! Yeah! You! I. HAVE. STARTED. A. NEW. TR.
You can find it here: CLICK HERE! RIGHT HERE!
Click the link! Click it! Cliiiiiiiick itttttttt!"
:rotfl:
I love that picture you posted of us! I need to print it.
You should and so should I!
:sad2:
Well any sangria sold in a HUGE JUG must be really high quality stuff 😂
That is always a good predictor of sangria goodness 🍷
Good job on the selfie! (Steve must not have taken it but don’t tell him I said so):sad2:
I won't tell him but you are correct lol Chad is the good selfie taker here!
Good luck with Ricky’s orientation this week. I know that will be a happy milestone but still tough :hug:
Thank you 😘 It's hard when you're looking forward to something and dreading it at the same time 😢
Read your Ricky story...this will be me next year when I think I'll most likely have TWO kids leaving. My 20yo is living at home this year, as his college is only a 15-20 minute commute and all the classes are likely to be online, at least the ones he has managed to register for at this point...which isn't many...another story. We want him to get out of the house have that true college experience at some point so hopefully next year he will leave...and my daughter will also likely be going somewhere.
:laughing:
You know it hit me just the other day that Chris will graduate college the same year Ricky graduates college. So first I thought "yay I'll get one back when the other leaves!" But then I realized Ricky will more than likely go on to grad school and I'll be out two. So now I need to work on convincing him to do grad school right here lol
The random characters does look like something I would really enjoy!
One of the best parts! You'd love it! I think it would be neat if that sticks around for your January trip but on the other hand I want things to go back to normal.................
I took a break from the boards but needed some Disney to cheer me up. I was thrown by the new name but so glad I found your report. I love to hear about your trips. Can’t wait to hear about all the fun.
Well hello! Welcome back to the boards and :welcome: to my report! I'm glad you found me 😊 Yup had to find a new name but wanted friends to be able to find me and I'm so happy when they do. I actually stayed off for about 3 weeks back in late March/April but then found that stopping in cheered me up; I hope it does for you too!

Jack doesn't start the new semester until September 8th so isn't moving back until the week before which makes me a happy momma!
Lucky! Ricky JUST got his actual move in date and it's 8/22 :scared: Hearing it and seeing it in writing - don't like it.
You have to be the one to go.....mothers need ALL the details!
ha ha that's what we decided so I have an early morning tomorrow and a long day!
Good luck! That stinks that you can't split up and you go to the orientation while Steve does the moving, but it is what it is, I guess. I wouldn't be able to not be there either. Is Steve driving with you and waiting in the car or something? Hiking up Sleeping Giant while you lug Ricky's furniture and boxes in? :P
I guess it could be worse since other schools aren't letting any parents help; but the SUNY schools for the most part are letting 2. It is what it is, hoping by the 22nd when he goes for good maybe they change it so we can both drop him off.
'm loving all the spontaneous cute character sightings. It makes for kind of a fun, scavenger hunt!
It does! I'm looking forward to finding the ones I missed this time!
My daughter was there for the DCP and did not want to leave. So much uncertainty.
You know I feel like I remember you saying that either in someone else's TR or in a thread; that stinks :( @Jenny Sanders son was supposed to go in the spring, I felt so bad for all those kids. Will she be able to go back again when they start the program back up?
I'm worried about all the things I'm going to look for and not find on our trip in October.
I know; but try focusing on the GOOD aspects of what you'll see! Hopefully still low crowds, the neat character cavalcades, just the ability to take it slower. We go next month and are also planning November and I'm looking forward to both!
I'm looking forward to these sightings too!
Yes!
Over from Jenny Sanders trip report and all caught up!:scared:
YAY :welcome:So glad you're here!
Sending your first off to college is such an emotional time. Good luck and I hope all goes well with his move in and orientation.
Thank you :) I'm glad we get to go tomorrow for orientation but bring him back for 10 days
Are you doing a report on your Universal trip in June? I'd love to hear your thoughts of each and how things are being handled.
I wanted to! I had a bit of a....."hiatus" from the boards right after our trip lol. I was thinking I'd add it on when I finish July because it was our best time ever at Uni!
So glad I found this. I always enjoy reading your trip reports. My daughter and her boyfriend just left today for a week in Disney. I hope they get the short wait times but I'm not sure how I'd do with wearing a mask in the heat. Just how bad was it?
Hello there! It's so good to see you and I'm thrilled you found me! Hiding but in plain sight lol.
We've had to wear masks in public here in NY since April so in that respect we're used to it. Being out for hours in the heat not so much but honestly it's not as bad as one imagines. It's not pleasant and of course if I had it my way we wouldn't need to wear them, but it will not stop us from going! I mean the summer is hot there anyway so this just adds a tiny little layer of sweat to what will already be there :sunny:

Haha.......ha :P
I see you laughing through the tears...
Understandable; but I do hope it doesn't end up being that long!
yeah... :(
You know, someone else explained this to me here!
Saw that... after I posted. You can expect an official apology from the department of redundancy department which will send you an official apology.
It's sad that now we think about that moment we're able to remove our masks and go "ah!!!!!!" as a good moment.........
:sad2:
I think so! @kastoney may disagree :)
Well! In 25 years or so, when I can go again, I'll have to give 'em a try.
It was last July and it was a guy playing guitar? One guy. We were only there for like 2 songs and he wasn't loud, kind of like.....background noise lol? I know that sounds bad and we were totally surprised.
But I do appreciate the effort.
Even more shocking it wasn't the last time I got sangria this trip 🙀
:faint:
I know it's not the same for everyone. I've hugged my 2 best friends the last couple months; at Ricky's graduation I hugged his friends whom we've known since they were babies/in pre-school and their moms hugged Ricky. When we first saw Renee and Chad I wasn't sure if they'd want to hug? But we all were like "heeeeeeyyyyyy" and they reached out and it felt fine and like we should ::yes:: and I've been in restaurants here sitting with friends next to me so that wasn't new. It was the same with Jenny and Joe, we did what we'd do any other time and felt fine :thumbsup2 Not that this really matters or makes a difference as far as getting sick but I have also been in touch with Renee and Jenny throughout this whole thing and know what they've been doing and how they've been, so felt no reason to worry.
And I'm okay with that. While so many are ill, the chances of contracting it from someone who isn't showing any signs is still fairly low. Higher in the US and higher in certain parts of the US, but...
Everyone needs to be semi-intelligent (a tall order for some, I know), and judge for themselves as well.
EXACTLY why I am going, because you speak the truth my friend! You speak for all men.
Speaker for Men! I like that. I'm gonna print that out and frame it and post it over my throne 🚽

If DW says it's okay.
Yeah well, as much as I'd love to be able to take the masks off it's probably because of any particles or bodily spillage that could be left on the rides?
I guess. A bit surprised they're not cleaning the buggies between use, but maybe that's not possible on a constant loader.
Plus if they allowed you to take them off on rides it would probably be harder to get guests to comply where they did have to wear them, sadly
True.

So glad I found this! I've been in SUCH a funk over cancelling our Sept trip & marathon weekend and your report is making me happy for a bit. Can't wait to hear more!

(and we also had to cancel a Disney cruise when Irma came, so this is old hat for us at this point :sad: Thank the Lord for trip insurance!)

You know it hit me just the other day that Chris will graduate college the same year Ricky graduates college. So first I thought "yay I'll get one back when the other leaves!" But then I realized Ricky will more than likely go on to grad school and I'll be out two. So now I need to work on convincing him to do grad school right here lol

Yeah...try not to think about it. I still have a 20yo at home, he's done 2 years of community college so far and is on par for 3.5 more years (undergrad) at a 4-year school next. Last night's discussion about this did not go well, but I get it...he is trying to do two very different things but I think they are good things. The plan was to have him live on campus this year (even though he's only 15-20 minutes from the college) but with the current atmosphere it just didn't make sense. All of his classes are online and now he can work too, which is only 2 minutes from our house. HOWEVER that likely means next year he and his younger sister will BOTH go off to college at the same time. Well maybe Ricky will definitely be up for Grad school at home and maybe working as well? You never know!

You know I feel like I remember you saying that either in someone else's TR or in a thread; that stinks :( @Jenny Sanders son was supposed to go in the spring, I felt so bad for all those kids. Will she be able to go back again when they start the program back up?

I'm sure I put her sad story all over. She's still sad about it. She is starting her senior year this month and plans to apply once she's done. Two of her roommates had already graduated. Disney has told them they will have their eligibility extended.

I know; but try focusing on the GOOD aspects of what you'll see! Hopefully still low crowds, the neat character cavalcades, just the ability to take it slower. We go next month and are also planning November and I'm looking forward to both!

Very good points and I'm really looking forward to these too.

So nice that you got to go back and I'm loving seeing it vicariously.

At least you get to go help Ricky move in....Carter has to travel by himself across the country and then move in all alone to his dorm, at least he is going back to a familiar place though. I am glad to hear that Ricky's school is taking precautions though.

Funny you still need to wear your mask when hanging with 999 Happy Haunts but I guess nobody is safe from the virus: ( It's a joke friends!)

Love it lol.

That pineapple hard cider was so good and not overly sweet like you'd think.

Oo sounds delicious. It's on the list to try after I evict this baby lol

Martha's Vineyard was convenient for both of us and open until 10 as opposed to Abracadabar that was closing at 9.

I never realized that Martha's Vineyard was a lounge. Good to know.

We got it worse than we thought and there are thousands of power outages all over NY; we lost it for about 10 hours Tuesday but luckily got it back around 10:30pm.

I was surprised how bad the damage was. We were lucky and never lost power but a lot of my coworkers did for days and there were trees down everywhere.

4. As Ricky said when I suggested all these to him, get myself some professional help or a new hobby 😂 :crazy:

:rotfl: :rotfl: spoken like a true teenager

He was great and when he was done with his shift he wished us a fond good-night and told us to stay as long as we wished, which we did! I think we left around 11:30?

Lol that's awesome! I feel like only in Disney would the bartender be like ok have fun I'm leaving now :rotfl:

You can expect an official apology from the department of redundancy department which will send you an official apology
:laughing: Thank you!
And thank you.
Thanks.
:thanks:
Well! In 25 years or so, when I can go again, I'll have to give 'em a try.
Noooooooo! No no. Has to be sooner or we're all scr--ed!😁
Everyone needs to be semi-intelligent (a tall order for some, I know), and judge for themselves as well.
Speaker for Men! I like that. I'm gonna print that out and frame it and post it over my throne 🚽

If DW says it's okay.
It's great that you have your own thoughts and ideas! For the toilette area.
And even better that you realize the bolded 😁
A bit surprised they're not cleaning the buggies between use, but maybe that's not possible on a constant loader.
This is one thing that is weird and possibly inconsistent? We definitely saw the ride vehicles being cleaned more often at Universal in June. At Disney there were a good # of times we were on line and they announced a short delay in boarding due to cleaning. So they ARE cleaning them albeit not in between all guests but I think that would be too hard. At Uni there was more using every other vehicle when possible and cleaning ones that had just been used as opposed to Disney where they were loading the same cars. Again I think it may just be too hard? And even with low crowds the "crowds" were higher at Disney than Uni
So glad I found this! I've been in SUCH a funk over cancelling our Sept trip & marathon weekend and your report is making me happy for a bit. Can't wait to hear more!
Hello and a great big :welcome: ! Ugh I know the feeling on cancelling; we cancelled the April Disney cruise and 3 trips before we finally got to Uni in June. For most of the worst part of the pandemic it made me feel better being on the boards. I hope you enjoy my report!
Thank the Lord for trip insurance!)
YES ::yes:: I always highly highly suggest travel insurance!!
The plan was to have him live on campus this year (even though he's only 15-20 minutes from the college) but with the current atmosphere it just didn't make sense. All of his classes are online and now he can work too, which is only 2 minutes from our house.
Totally makes sense not to stay on campus, if Quinnipiac was going all online we'd have had him stay home too. While they're doing a hybrid both, I'm happy 4 of his 5 classes are in person! But fingers crossed because we know that could change at any time.......
. She's still sad about it. She is starting her senior year this month and plans to apply once she's done. Two of her roommates had already graduated. Disney has told them they will have their eligibility extended.
Poor girl, and I'm sure it's hard seeing her sad over it 💔 That is a good thing that Disney has said her friends' eligibility will be extended and I honestly hope all of them, along with Timmy @Jenny Sanders son, get to go back.
Very good points and I'm really looking forward to these too.
I know you'll have a really great trip!

At least you get to go help Ricky move in....Carter has to travel by himself across the country and then move in all alone to his dorm, at least he is going back to a familiar place though. I am glad to hear that Ricky's school is taking precautions though.
True, there are other colleges around who are not allowing parents to drop off while others are allowing both. All depends on where the school is, what particular state it's in, etc. Bottom line I just hope all the kids going off to college, first year or last, are safe and have an enjoyable year!
Oo sounds delicious. It's on the list to try after I evict this baby lol
LMAO! Speaking of I am almost caught up with your report :) Love the name you chose! Before you know it you'll be taking him on his first trip to Disney 💙💕😍
Lol that's awesome! I feel like only in Disney would the bartender be like ok have fun I'm leaving now :rotfl:
Right? Don't think it would happen in a lounge like Nomad but I guess since the seating area is technically always ope? I mean if we wanted to we could have gotten to the beverages too lol

I'm so excited for our September trip in 40 days and writing this TR is making me more excited to go back! To that point I want to thank all of you again for following along; after my.....brief hiatus from the boards I wasn't sure if anyone would "find" me, recognize me , etc and each time an old friend joins here or a new friend says they remember my old reports, I feel like this :dumbo:

On another topic, we moved Ricky in to his dorm room yesterday and had parent/student orientation. I'M OK! He's home until the 22nd :goodvibes On the one hand, some of the social restrictions and changes that will be in place when they begin the year are not ideal at all for what one wants for their child's start of the college experience. Some are necessary; others seem a bit much but all colleges are handling things differently and all doing what they feel will keep the kids as safe as possible. Ricky enjoyed orientation and has also been talking to a few of his roommates and so I feel good about him going. Oh and for those of you who attended college; remember how tiny your freshman dorm was? Well for distancing purposes they have put freshmen in upper class dorms so instead of a small, regular room with 1 roommate he's in a freaking apartment size suite with 5 other guys! Three bedrooms, 2 to a room, bathroom with 2 stalls sinks and showers (I can't think about the condition this bathroom will be in like 3 weeks after they start) a huge closet and a HUGE common room where they can fit 2 couches, TV and stand, 4 person dining table and more. It's 3 levels!! Common room down, 2 bedrooms, bath, hall closet on 2nd and the 3rd bedroom up a few steps to a 3rd level.

:sad1:

On the other side of the bedroom is another bed, dresser, etc. The bedroom alone is twice the size of my dorm room! So now I have to get as much time as I can with my boy before he goes :sad1: But Chris won't be leaving at all since our district went from hybrid remote/in person school on Monday to all remote on Tuesday. We are all entitled to our own feelings on school resuming and I don't think at this point anyone is right or wrong in their opinions, but I do really, really want Chris to go to school and so does Chris. Given this I am trying to talk him in to coming to Disney with us in September! We'll see, it IS Chris..............

Day 2 Part 2: A Spoonful of Sugared Basil Makes the Heat Go Down

After our awesome character sighting we walked on to New Fantasyland for quick rides on Little Mermaid, Dumbo, and Barnstormer. Wading through crowds by Ariel's (empty for now) Grotto:

Yeah don't know here even though she appears to be looking right at me, but I feel ok posting since we can't see her face anyway! Same by Gaston's and man did I miss having a cinnamon roll there! But you can still tinkle FYI @pkondz :

Now it was definitely time for lunch and as we made our way to Adventureland we "checked in" for our lunch reservation at Skippers and were alerted that we'd get a message when our table is ready. By the time we got there we'd gotten that message and walked right in! I didn't take pictures of the physical distancing in there but it was great we thought. Interestingly enough we've never seen the restaurant as crowded as it was this day! So good to see something "busy" in Disney but still safe. This was our 3rd visit and we enjoyed it so much! Our Skipper made enough jokes to make it funny but not annoying in any way.

We both went a little different this time for our food other than my app. I got the

Orinoco Ida's Cachapas
And you thought our jokes were corny! House-made Corn Pancakes, Beer-braised Pork, Roasted Corn, Fresno Pepper Salsa, and Avocado Cream

I've had these before and love them! The pork is tasty, not too salty, and the avocado cream is delish. Steve got the salad and he was in LOVE with it; everything he said was extremely fresh. I don't like half of what was in it but it looked pretty:
Jungle Green Salad
From the depths of the Jungle...Skipper Bill's Iceberg Wedge with Shishito Peppers, Radish, Hearts of Palm, Cucumbers, and Pistachios with an Ají Pepper-Yogurt Dressing

For our entrees Steve got the
"Hardy Har Char" Siu Pork
Char Siu-marinated Pork served with Seasonal Vegetables and Jasmine Rice

He loved this as well and cleaned his plate. Now, both times we ate here previously I got the "Tastes Like Chicken Because It Is". And it's good but I wanted to start out being a little adventurous so instead I got the
Perkins Thai Noodles
Tofu, Seasonal Vegetables, and Rice Noodles tossed in a Spicy Soy-Chili-Garlic Sauce. A favorite of our friend Pamelia Perkins, Adventurer's Club President. Available with Chicken

And as it's available with chicken I got it with chicken 🍗 Now. I like spicy. You may remember (or may not) that I enjoy the "Anything goes" from Jock Lindsey's with the in it; I also love me a dark chocolate chili Mickey head from Zuri's Sweet Shoppe. I like spice. I could totally be a spice girl; like "magic bar Spice". But I was not in any way ready for these noodles, this was delicious and my fabulous Dr. Loosen Reisling helped in between bites but an hour after we left dinner my CHIN was tingling from the heat. Not tinkling but tingling to the point I wanted to rub aloe all over it. Steve wanted to try it so I told him go ahead and he loaded up his fork; I watched in wonder and fascination as he burned the **** (I starred myself out, no worries) out of his mouth. Moral of the story: sometimes hot, is TOO hot. But not usually 🧨

To help the wine cool down my mouth I HAD to get dessert. Plus I'd skipped it here the last 2 times and there are a couple things on the menu that sounded good. Instead of trying the Kungaloosh - next time - I ordered something with 2 of my favorite fruit flavors in it:
Coconut Bar with Pineapple-Basil Compote and Vanilla Cream
Vanilla Chiffon Cake with Coconut and Lime-White Chocolate Ganache

Not sure coconut is a fruit - @pkondz? Would you know 🥥 but for the purposes of this TR it's a fruit! And this thing is now one of the Disney desserts/snacks I dream about and now as I'm writing this I want to book Skippers again for next month!
Taking a cue from @Jenny Sanders I'm posting all food pics in a row here:

You see the darker globs on the dessert plate? The yellow ones are obviously pineapple. But those darker ones are, get this, sugared basil. Yup. And sugared basil is absolutely scrumptious. I knew the taste when I ate the first one but couldn't place it so I had to ask. the pineapple and coconut flavors were both so light, the bar itself was light, the whole dessert was refreshing. Not HOT at all. I recommend Skippers and definitely this dessert!

While we were full and had already spent a great 4 hours in the park, we weren't done! Keep reading for the rest of our day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter