Heads up for plan fudgers in 2007

lucincia said:
From the sound of this - this is not an accounting change - it's just a workplace rule change for the CMs to enforce the people count rule at TS meals. Seems like they are using this stop gap solution to fix their shortfall in the computer accounting system.
No, they've already been doing that for a number of months -- visually checking the cards to be sure the diner was not ordering more adult meals than they had participants in the plan. They were doing that even before free dining started in August.

This is an accounting software change, at both the point of sale level and at the central tracking level, to accurately segregate the credits and account for the two categories seperately. That, I suspect, has been part of the delay. You can't just change the tracking system; you have to also change the software that inputs the meal credit usage at the point of sale level.

This is a significant change, and they really had no way of controlling anything until they made these changes.

BuffaloGal said:
Don't see how this will be uneforcable. When your 14 adult counter service credits are gone, they are gone. You'll only have child credits left and only be able to purchase child meals. An adult CS meal with all the add ons (beverage & dessert) is worth about what people pay for a child plan per day. How long did you guys expect Disney to take that bite?

Did I say UNENFORCABLE? NO! I was saying (since it was hard to understand), that if the CM's don't care it wont work.

I didn't say I disagreed that it should be enforced either, did I? (Unless someone is putting words on my post)

JimMIA said:
No, they've already been doing that for a number of months -- visually checking the cards to be sure the diner was not ordering more adult meals than they had participants in the plan. They were doing that even before free dining started in August.

This is an accounting software change, at both the point of sale level and at the central tracking level, to accurately segregate the credits and account for the two categories seperately. That, I suspect, has been part of the delay. You can't just change the tracking system; you have to also change the software that inputs the meal credit usage at the point of sale level.

This is a significant change, and they really had no way of controlling anything until they made these changes.

Jim, do you work for Disney?

BuffaloGal said:
We are being told that as of January 1st, the computers will know a child credit from an adult credit and there will be no way to get adult food when you paid child price on your DDP. Also, servers will be held strictly accountable for the number of diners on your key. This means no sending adults up to the CS counter twice to get grown up meals for the kids and no saving credits to buy relatives or friends who aren't on the plan a dinner. popcorn::

Oops - guess when we re-read the OP's post, it does say the computer change :)

angelmav said:
This seems like one step forward one step back.
No, not at all. It is a natural and appropriate reaction to abuse. Disney's had these rules explicitly spelled out for patrons, especially the rule about non-transferability, since 2005, but even here on the DIS we saw continual evidence of patrons willing ot violate them. Enforcement like this is very much what we have to expect when there is such abuse. There are a whole set of services that Disney has had to change, curtail or remove because of similar abuse.

I wonder to what effect spreading-the-word about the loopholes online fed this fire.

mtrak17 said:
Just wondering, because I didn't see this mentioned...If someone had 8-9 SNACK credits left on the final day of a package (didn't use any during the trip) and wanted to get 8-9 "snack" things to bring home, are they going to limit the number of snacks you can get at one time to the number of people in the package party now? Or snacks aren't really on their radar as a problem?

Thanks...not important, but just wondering... :)

Does anyone know the answer to this? As I was thinking the same.

I suspect if Buffalo Girl doesn't know, then none of us will know until someone tries it after the changes go into effect.

I rather hope that they only apply the restrictions to TS and CS credits, though.

bicker said:
I rather hope that they only apply the restrictions to TS and CS credits, though.
I'm hoping they'll either apply it only to TS, or be reasonable in applying it to CS credits.

For example, if someone is on their last day and they want to use leftover CS credits to purchase sandwiches to take on their flight home, I would hope Disney would allow that. They'd be within their rights to deny it, but I'd hope they would want to have the guest leave happy and tell everyone on their flight where the sandwiches came from.

Like you said, though, we won't really know until after 1/1/07 when folks go and then report back. And even then, there will obviously be some fine-tuning as they work through the implementation.

DisneyJo said:
Does anyone know the answer to this? As I was thinking the same.

You can use them all the last day before midnight. I had oodles of snack credits left on our last day. Went to the resort gift shop and bought lots of candy for Stocking stuffers!

For whatever it's worth, when we were at the barber shop on main street and my friend was paying for her daughter's haircut, it took a little bit of extra time for the credit card transaction to go through because the system rebooted itself in the middle of it. The barber explained that disney is rolling out a new system for their transactions and right now it's just being tested in selected lower traffic areas. This would seem to support what buffalogal said about Disney updating their computer software and not just relying on CM enforcement of the rules.

All this seems fine and dandy but if they don't check ID's of those who are getting meals, it may be difficult to enforce. Case in point. And, please don't flame me b/c it is over and the CM allowed it at the time. I am not looking for the moral police to tell me I should not have done this. I am using it as an example of a challenge Disney may be facing since they are slow at making changes.

We are just back, my DB and his family left early Thursday and had 5 CS meals left over. (I have no idea if they were A or C credits and it is not relavant) We used his KTTW card to get our lunch for the day, all 5 meals. 2 were at one location and 3 were at another. Both my dad and I used his card seperately, they did not blink or question who I was even though it was a male name on the card.

Yes, I had my own DDP and eventually had a few of my own CS meals left but at that point I didn't know I would.

My point being, theoretically it sounds like it would be in their best interest to make the appropriate changes but as to who is actually using the plan, it may be dificult to enforce.

I don't see how Disney would be within their rights to limit snacks in that way. I want to use 2 snacks credits, at once, to get a drink and a pretzel. Is there any doubt that's allowed? How about cereal, milk, coffee and juice? That's 4 snack credits. One could make the case for limiting TS or CS credits, the reality is guests don't eat two meals at once but that's not the case with snacks.

JimMIA said:
For example, if someone is on their last day and they want to use leftover CS credits to purchase sandwiches to take on their flight home, I would hope Disney would allow that. They'd be within their rights to deny it, but I'd hope they would want to have the guest leave happy and tell everyone on their flight where the sandwiches came from.

Like you said, though, we won't really know until after 1/1/07 when folks go and then report back. And even then, there will obviously be some fine-tuning as they work through the implementation.

I don't see a problem of using more CS & snacks on any given day. I think Disney's main issue is to close the loophole for TS. Seperating adult & child credits will resolve this problem.

JimMIA said:
I'm hoping they'll either apply it only to TS, or be reasonable in applying it to CS credits.

JimMIA, I'm thinking the same thing. We've always shared a couple of the large CS meals in the past to save two or three credits for sandwiches for the trip home. I'm anxious to see some trip reports after 1/1/07 to see if this will be possible.

buffalogal - please keep us updated from your end, as well. Thanks!

Since you can use all snack credits the 1st day to purchase bottled water in resort gift shops (which we have done in the past);

don't see why using them the last day for rice krispie Mickey heads would be an issue.

Unless they decide to limit snacks to a "prepared" item ala

fountain soda
hot pretzel
popcorn

They do tweak the avail items, even for CS. In June we were able to use a CS for turkey leg, chips & soda in all the parks...sadly, no so in Oct.

All inclusive resorts make guests wear wrist bands. Disney could go that route if too many guests decide to circumvent rules.

Originally Disney, at least many CMs, didn't care if you used your credits to treat others. Some of think Disney is more concerned with stopping treating at TS meals than at CS meals. I guess Disney could program the computer so you can't use extra TS credits during one meal period or extra CS credits during a 2-4 hour window. How many posters say the meal plan is "too much food"? I'd be skeptical if a guest claims he's going to eat two dinners, even at two different restaurants.

Disney might consider giving guests the same explanation that BuffaloGal posted regarding using credits to treat others. The current brochure isn't even clear if you're allowed to treat others. Most guests are honest. State the rule, give the reason and a lot of guests will comply.

You really can't blame guests for using the adult/child credit loophole. The brochure, computer system and CMs all kind of said it was OK to bank child credits and use them later for adult meals. The 2007 brochure is clear and it looks like the computer system will be enforcing the new rules. MAKES SENSE.

dreamalittledream said:
All this seems fine and dandy but if they don't check ID's of those who are getting meals, it may be difficult to enforce. Case in point. And, please don't flame me b/c it is over and the CM allowed it at the time. I am not looking for the moral police to tell me I should not have done this. I am using it as an example of a challenge Disney may be facing since they are slow at making changes.

We are just back, my DB and his family left early Thursday and had 5 CS meals left over. (I have no idea if they were A or C credits and it is not relavant) We used his KTTW card to get our lunch for the day, all 5 meals. 2 were at one location and 3 were at another. Both my dad and I used his card seperately, they did not blink or question who I was even though it was a male name on the card.

Yes, I had my own DDP and eventually had a few of my own CS meals left but at that point I didn't know I would.

My point being, theoretically it sounds like it would be in their best interest to make the appropriate changes but as to who is actually using the plan, it may be dificult to enforce.

I think that the number used thing will be TS only as it would be nearly impossible to enforce at CS or Snack level, since you could just get back in line. I know that they are saying that if you are sitting in a TS restaurant and your card says 2, that's all you can get. No buying dinner for friends, no random acts of kindness for the table next door. The adult vs. child thing is going to be the biggie. This is where Disney is really getting taken. Especially at CS since it's very easy to do. FYI, to anyone who mentioned CM enforcement, between now and then, CMs are being audited and will face discipline for allowing you to get 4 adult meals if your card says 2/2. Please remember that when you are contimplating giving them a hard time so you can split 3 adult counter service meals for your family of 2/2 to save something for later. Most CMs want to give the guest what they want. Playing "lets see what I can get" or browbeat the CM until he bends is going to have consequences for someone, even if it isn't you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter