• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Heads up for plan fudgers in 2007

Does anyone else find it odd that the people who were so determined to "maximize value" from the dining plan a few months ago have been completely silent on this thread?

I'm talking about all the folks who defended their "maximization" by saying, "Disney doesn't really care. If they cared, they'd stop me from doing what I want to do."

Where are those nice folks?:confused3

So I guess we are still waiting to see about places like pizza planet that do not have kid's menus. If we all go to eat at pizza planet, will my DS be able to use one of his child credits for a pizza?

Can I still pay OOP for a meal if I'm on the dining plan and use the credit later? For example, if we have ADRs for CRT, can I pay OOP for us all at the meal vs using 10 credits? Or will they automatically know I'm on the dining plan and make us use credits there? I would like to book more ADRs than credits available (like we did in Septmeber) and just pay OOP for some of the meals. I'd be using adult for adult, child for child- but I'd save the credits for certain meals/ADRs. Yes or no?

Can I still pay OOP for a meal if I'm on the dining plan and use the credit later? For example, if we have ADRs for CRT, can I pay OOP for us all at the meal vs using 10 credits? ... Yes or no?
Yes.

I don't find it odd at all. There isn't any question in my mind the wording in the original brochures allowed "child" credits to be banked and used by adults. There isn't any question in my mind that most CMs supported guests who chose to use the plan exactly that way.

Likewise there isn't any question in my mind Disney changed the rules of the plan, probably to reflect the way they originally thought most guests would be using the plan. The wording in the 2007 brochure combined with the way credit are being tracked doesn't leave any doubt.

I find it interesting that some people now want to use extra child credits at the few restaurants that don't have child menus. I wonder how long before those greedy guests are responsible for a childs menu in those restaurants.

Does anyone else find it odd that the people who were so determined to "maximize value" from the dining plan a few months ago have been completely silent on this thread?

I'm talking about all the folks who defended their "maximization" by saying, "Disney doesn't really care. If they cared, they'd stop me from doing what I want to do."

Does anyone else find it odd that the people who were so determined to "maximize value" from the dining plan a few months ago have been completely silent on this thread? I'm talking about all the folks who defended their "maximization" by saying, "Disney doesn't really care. If they cared, they'd stop me from doing what I want to do." Where are those nice folks?:confused3
We had a brief discussion about that yesterday on another thread. Those folks know who they are, and they now know they were wrong. Hopefully they'll keep that in mind next time they think about rationalizing transgressive behavior for personal gain.

I find it interesting that some people now want to use extra child credits at the few restaurants that don't have child menus. I wonder how long before those greedy guests are responsible for a childs menu in those restaurants.

If I buy the DDP, then I would like to be able to eat at all WDW restaurants participating in the plan. If they don't have a child's menu, then that restaurant excludes families. Maybe that's ok for the Signature restaurants, but for CS, I think they should ALL have child menus. I don't think I should have to pay OOP for a pizza at PP because they don't have a child's menu, when I have CS child credits available to use.

If I buy the DDP, then I would like to be able to eat at all WDW restaurants participating in the plan. If they don't have a child's menu, then that restaurant excludes families. Maybe that's ok for the Signature restaurants, but for CS, I think they should ALL have child menus. I don't think I should have to pay OOP for a pizza at PP because they don't have a child's menu, when I have CS child credits available to use.

Right now children are only required to order from the kids menu if a kids menu is available, otherwise the get to order from the adults menu. Some greedy posters now want to use extra kids credits at those restaurants to feed adults, paying cash for real kids meals in other restaurants.

I suspect the result will be kids menus at those restaurants. Kids menus which resemble the rest of the kids menus.

Right now children are only required to order from the kids menu if a kids menu is available, otherwise the get to order from the adults menu. Some greedy posters now want to use extra kids credits at those restaurants to feed adults, paying cash for real kids meals in other restaurants.

I suspect the result will be kids menus at those restaurants. Kids menus which resemble the rest of the kids menus.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Which ones don't have kids menus? I'm really confused as to how you would use the kids credits for adult meals? Order for the kids and then share? It doesn't seem like with the new plan you could do it.

Just wanted to make sure that you know I am not one of those people! I plan to use the DDP as attended. I really am just wondering about Pizza planet because we are considering eating there. Will I need to pay OOP for my DS because there is no child's menu.

Gosh, Lewis...you don't really think someone would do such a thing! Do you???:rotfl2:

I suspect you're right.

Just wanted to make sure that you know I am not one of those people! I plan to use the DDP as attended. I really am just wondering about Pizza planet because we are considering eating there. Will I need to pay OOP for my DS because there is no child's menu.
No, the way it is right at this moment, you could use your child's credit for the meal...and you'd be perfectly within the rules to do so.

The wording in the 2007 brochure combined with the way credit are being tracked doesn't leave any doubt.
Actually, the wording in the Q&A part of the 2006 brochure didn't leave any doubt about whether you could use child's credit's for adult meals. It said, "Sorry, no." The problem was there was no enforcement mechanism, but I don't think anyone had any doubt about what Disney meant.

The people who were abusing the program were just saying, "Catch me if you can!" And then complaining on the rare occasions when they got caught.

The 2007 brochure certainly does make things MUCH clearer, and if there were ever any doubts, the computer changes should erase those.

But I still find the silence deafening.

Jim, I'll chime in if you want. I for one said all along that it was up to Disney to change their plan if they wanted this to stop. I said all along that Disney could not provide pooled credits and expect people not to use them that way. I never cared if Disney cared or not. They have now done what it was their responsibility to do, separate the credits. As for me, my family "maximized DDP" for four trips and enjoyed every minute of it. Many low price meals at CG and YSH. We'll now go back to staying off-site, having an occasional character meal in Disney, but eating the majority of our meals at off-site restraunts. It was great while it lasted and I stand by my opinion that anyone maximizing the credits while they weren't separated, was doing nothing wrong.

And Bicker, make sure you PM my name as one of the evil ones.

Jim, I'll chime in if you want. I for one said all along that it was up to Disney to change their plan if they wanted this to stop. I said all along that Disney could not provide pooled credits and expect people not to use them that way. I never cared if Disney cared or not. They have now done what it was their responsibility to do, separate the credits. As for me, my family "maximized DDP" for four trips and enjoyed every minute of it. Many low price meals at CG and YSH. We'll now go back to staying off-site, having an occasional character meal in Disney, but eating the majority of our meals at off-site restraunts. It was great while it lasted and I stand by my opinion that anyone maximizing the credits while they weren't separated, was doing nothing wrong.

And Bicker, make sure you PM my name as one of the evil ones.

Thanks for sharing and actually I can respect your opinion. At least you're honest about it and did not try to rationalize it and say Disney never cared. Truly that was the thing that upset me the most in the heated discussions.

I knew they cared, I knew they were working on changing it and many times by others, not you, I was accussed of having no idea what I was talking about. Had I not known for sure they were working to change it and did not want the plan used in the way it was being used, I would have never said so.

The plan had a loophole, it was used, Disney did not want it used that way and they fixed it.

The main problem I always had with it was forcing everyone in the room to be on a meal plan, then the only choice for children is processed, high fat, high sodium junk.

And to fan the flames, here is a repost from another forum

Due to some involved logistical vacation planning, 2 of our group will have citipasses, and I will have the only pass that can carry a dining plan on it.

We usually go to disney world, so I know how it works (or worked) there, but wanted to confirm as far as disneyland -
in WDW, you get so many lunch and dinner credits, that can be used in any combination on any day.
So if I am staying 2 days, but want to get a meal plan that will feed 2 adults for 2 days
1) will they let me get a meal plan for 4 days
2) can the credits still be used in any amount I want, when I want? (in this case, using all the credits in 2 days)

TIA, and let me know if I am not making sense LOL

I don't find it odd at all. There isn't any question in my mind the wording in the original brochures allowed "child" credits to be banked and used by adults. There isn't any question in my mind that most CMs supported guests who chose to use the plan exactly that way.

Likewise there isn't any question in my mind Disney changed the rules of the plan, probably to reflect the way they originally thought most guests would be using the plan. The wording in the 2007 brochure combined with the way credit are being tracked doesn't leave any doubt.

Well it makes it "nice & easy" to have it changed when we have an ongoing list to point it out to them too.;)

That version of the brochure was only on Disney's website for a few weeks. The thread on DIS linked to a copy that was hosted by Bicker. Bicker kept that version on his site long after Disney went back to the older version. I used the meal plan in October and the brochure that was given out when I checked in didn't contain the FAQ.

A poster, it might have been you, thought Disney would have a problem with the foreign bookings if they changed the terms of the plan in the middle of the year.

Disney changed the terms of the plan in the 2007 brochure and changed the computer system.

I didn't travel to Disney with children younger than 10 so I didn't benefit from Disney's generosity in setting up the rules.

I don't know why you find "the silence deafening". I don't think anyone was surprised, due to a large number of greedy guests, Disney saw the need to change the plan.

Actually, the wording in the Q&A part of the 2006 brochure didn't leave any doubt about whether you could use child's credit's for adult meals. It said, "Sorry, no." The problem was there was no enforcement mechanism, but I don't think anyone had any doubt about what Disney meant.
But I still find the silence deafening.

I noticed this too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter