Heads up for plan fudgers in 2007

But what if you made your reservations and paid for the DDP before all the changes took place?

You are still getting what you reserved and paid for. The "change" is simply to force the computers to follow the rules of the plan that were written out to begin with. No more "working" the plan to use kids credits to pay for adult dining while paying OOP for a kids meal. It also evens the playing field with CM's no longer suggesting that you play the plan either. All CM's will be foloowing the same rules so now no one can say htat mean CM made me get kid's meals for my kids but that one over there let me order all adult meals yesterday.

You are still getting what you reserved and paid for. The "change" is simply to force the computers to follow the rules of the plan that were written out to begin with.
Yes, that's true, but... There may be changes to the plan applied, even mid-year, which will apply from that time forward, even though you might have paid for the Dining Plan long in advance of the change.

The plan hasn't changed at all. Its the same plan as it was six months or even a year ago when you booked your trips. There was a loophole with the tracking of credits, which was exploited by more than a few people, that caused Disney to figure a way to close that loophole.

Even the old brochures said that children must order from the children's menu when one is available, and dining credits were non-transferrable.

Abuses of the system cause everyone to suffer. I think menu variety, portion size and even quality at some restaurants have been impacted negatively because of the dining plan's popularity, and abuse, in some cases. The DDP is a great deal but as a passholder with a DDE card I find myself doing more Signature Dining, breakfast buffets and counter service because that's what works best for my Disney trips.

People need to eat and Disney is not denying anyone their right to use the dining plan. They're just limiting it to the purchasers of the plan on the reservation, and the plan components being used for the particular guest in the proper increments. Its not an unreasonable policy as it has always been there.

FWIW.

I completely agree.

But what if you made your reservations and paid for the DDP before all the changes took place?

What changes? The first round of menu changes took place more than 45 days ago and from what I understand, the latest changes are for the better (more options). Kids CS meals have been pretty limited for even longer than that. So if you didn't think your kids would eat the kids meals when the changes ocurred you had time to cancel DDP. If you are referring to using child credits for child meals only, that has always been the rule, no change there, just a crack down on enforcement. If you knew the kids wouldn't eat the kids meals and planned on using their credits for adult meals I'm sorry I can't emphatize with you. Everyone knew it was a matter of time before the loophole closed - I would have planned on not having it and if a CM had offered it, probably taken advantage, but if that was the only way my kids would be happy, I wouldn't have bothered with DDP.

Are you referring to the internet site (NOT DIS) that talked about "using your kids as a license to print money"?

There is a big difference between happening to have an extra kids credit that wound up purchase an adult meal (sick child, child in a kids club) and planning a trip around paying cash for all the kids meals so the kids credits could be used to treat adults not even on the plan. A few posters went so far as to say they would never waste a DDP credit on a kids meal.

This is an important point. We have a social responsibility here online which a lot of people take way too casually. Advocating exploitation and abuse is a form of transgression, itself. If folks are going to transgress, they should do so quietly, and we shouldn't be condoning advocacy to transgress in our community.

And I think those folks will do just fine, not everyone thinks there is nothing to eat at Disney World. And you know when you start using profanity to make your point, even in code, you lost my respect for your point of view.

I think this continous discussion of "menu change, DDP is ruining the world" has been beat to death and Allison's point was can we please not rehash it on "every" dining thread but at least confine it to the ones specifically pertaining to menu changes.

Thank You!

This is an important point. We have a social responsibility here online which a lot of people take way too casually. Advocating exploitation and abuse is a form of transgression, itself. If folks are going to transgress, they should do so quietly, and we shouldn't be condoning advocacy to transgress in our community.
Are you referring to the internet site (NOT DIS) that talked about "using your kids as a license to print money"?
No, I wasn't referring to any site, specifically, but rather was speaking more generally. The social responsibility I referred to applies broadly.

There is a big difference between happening to have an extra kids credit that wound up purchase an adult meal (sick child, child in a kids club) and planning a trip around paying cash for all the kids meals so the kids credits could be used to treat adults not even on the plan. A few posters went so far as to say they would never waste a DDP credit on a kids meal.
I agree that some transgressions are worse than others, though, and problem have a much worse effect. However, that doesn't obviate the effect of smaller transgressions.

My personal favorite for transgressions was in 2006 when the free DDP promo was offered and people were creating make believe kids to put on the reservations so they could get the meal credits. All they had to do was pay for a single day park ticket and they could get extra meal credits for their entire stay. Of course they also had to blatantly lie when they made the reservation and at check in time. I think that was about as extreme an abuse as you could get.

My personal favorite for transgressions was in 2006 when the free DDP promo was offered and people were creating make believe kids to put on the reservations so they could get the meal credits. All they had to do was pay for a single day park ticket and they could get extra meal credits for their entire stay. Of course they also had to blatantly lie when they made the reservation and at check in time. I think that was about as extreme an abuse as you could get.

I rememeber that, when I mentioned all this to DH last night that came up in our conversation as well. He couldn't believe how much thought people would go through to be decietful, then he was in awe of those that would actually share the information!

My favorite exploit (I won't call it a transgression, because I think it is perfectly legal) was the one where folks staying off-site would book rooms at the All-Star Resorts (that they had no intention of sleeping in) for four adults. So they'd be paying $78 per night for free dining for four, a $152 value.

My favorite exploit (I won't call it a transgression, because I think it is perfectly legal) was the one where folks staying off-site would book rooms at the All-Star Resorts (that they had no intention of sleeping in) for four adults. So they'd be paying $78 per night for free dining for four, a $152 value.

A couple of DVC owners at least talked about booking a room at a Value resort for the same reason.

Which led to Disney having to implement a requirement during free dining that everyone had to check in together to get the meal plan credits. Which of course would inconvenience everyone. It's too bad people who do this kind of thing have to make it more difficult for the majority of people who really do want to do the right thing.

There was also a family that lived locally that booked 2-10 day trips & treated the neighbors to dinner with the child credits.

Using Your Meals
Use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your package stay until your total is depleted.

You can save your credits...the above is the first line on the NEW brochure.

For example, on the day of arrival, a party with 2 Guests ages 10+ and 2 Guests ages 3-9 could use a total of 4 Quick Service meals (2 for Guests ages 10+ and 2 for Guests ages 3-9).

They are using an example of only using the CS for this day. You wont lose what you don't use on this day.

On Day 2, the party could use a total of 4 Table Service meals (2 for Guests ages 10+and 2 for Guests ages 3-9), 4 Quick Service meals (2 for Guests ages 10+ and 2 for Guests ages 3-9) and 2 Snacks (2 for Guests ages 3-9).

Example is 4 TS, 4 CS and ONLY 2 snacks, your not going to lose the snacks.

You can continue using meals/snacks any way you like for the rest of your package stay until each person has depleted his/her allotted meals/snacks.

For example, if your party with 2 Guests ages 10+ and 2 Guests ages 3-9 started with a total of 20 Quick Service meals (10 for Guests ages 10+ and 10 for Guests ages 3-9) and everyone in your party used 1 Quick Service meal, your paid receipt from the cashier would indicate a balance of 16 Quick Service meals (8 for Guests ages 10+ and 8 for Guests ages 3-9) for the remainder of your package stay.

Even this paragraph contradicts what is being said about it being split up in the computer. I think it is going to have to be a wait and see situation.

They are trying to stop the Child credit from being used for Adults.
No, it's not wait and see as to whether they are split. I am telling you that there are two keys on my register and two separate accounts for child and adult credits on every vacation package started after January 1st.

So are there two keys for EVERY CS place as well, even if they don't have a kids menu? I would guess there would have to be, so I could tell them that the pizza is for the kids, or do they do they automatically just take adult credits off at places that don't have kids menus?

Does that mean when we (on DDP) dine with my parents (not on DDP...they are locals with APs and do not stay onsite), they can't eat???:confused3 Sorry, Mom, Dad...you'll have to go hungry since you're not on the DDP! Or sit at another table!:rotfl:

No, it means that they have to pay for their food and if they do sit with you, expect that it will have gratuity added.

I just wanted to say thanks for the information. (honestly!)

While I was not planning on "cheating" the system, I was worried about how to make "date night" meal at Yachtsman Steakhouse work for me and my hubby (2TS restaurant - so 4TS credits). We are a family of 2 adults, DD12 and DD6 - therefore 3 adults and one child according to Disney. I was going to be possibly one adult credit short near the end of our trip, so I was going to have to pay out of pocket at some meal during our stay - or risk getting to that dinner and being in trouble - not enough adult credits and too many kids credits.

Basically, the "Disney math" got too complicated (my husband was totally confused and lost :rotfl: ), so I have opted to go with the DDE card and eat where, when and how much I want at each meal! :)

So yes, the DDP is not always for everyone. Bummer, because it did seem like a great deal. But, hopefully, I have saved myself some calories (how can you pass up "free" dessert?!) by using the DDE and can stick with my New Year's Resolution to lose some weight!:lmao:

I leave Saturday and will try to keep track of my food costs using DDE and see how we fair.

thanks for the information! I was just wondering whether the new enforcement of the rules also will limit the possibility of sharing meals. I will travel with a friend, so we will be two adults on the plan. We have been planning to share two TS meals in order to have credits for a signature TS. This would mean that two adults who both have purchased the plan would use only one adult credit at e.g. Kona Cafe. Is this still possible??

Not trying to be ignorant or abuse the system but after reading all these posts I'm confused. What about the scenario we will have on our next trip. We are traveling with another family. We will be on the dining plan, they have chosen not to be. My 17 yo dd will want to do some lunches with just she and her 17 yr old friend from the other family. If they go to lunch together and my DD uses her TS credit and her friend pays OOP for her drink and entree, she isn't allowed to share the appetizer or dessert with dd who can't eat all that much food?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter