Heading to WDW with kids for the first time

minoh

Somewhere over the rainbow
We're pretty excited to be heading to WDW in March (it was a Christmas gift from grandparents) and I'm trying to get organized and put together a plan well in advance. I thought I was starting relatively early but now I see that some people start a year (or more) in advance - wow! I'm feeling a little behind already but am happy to have a place like these DIS forums to ask questions.

Any advice for (what seems like last-minute) planning would be appreciated. We'll be travelling with 4 adults (parent and grandparents) and:
2 6-year olds
1 8-year old
1 11-year old

I was in Disney about 20 years ago as a child but I don't think we did any pre--planning at that time, we just winged it. But we're hoping for a magical time for the kids this time around, too, and are looking forward to the Florida sun (since we're up in currently not so warm Canada).

The first bit of advice is not to overwhelm the young children. Some people spend the entire day in the parks with younger children to try and maximize the experience. Trust me, you will know who these people are! If you are staying at one of the resorts, go back and take a break, nap, etc. We were guilty of this on more than one occasion. We live local to Disney now and have the luxury of just going for the morning or afternoon. With our 6 year old, he needs a break after 4-5 hours or he can get cranky. Everyone's children are different. Go with what you know. :sunny:

The first bit of advice is not to overwhelm the young children. Some people spend the entire day in the parks with younger children to try and maximize the experience. Trust me, you will know who these people are! If you are staying at one of the resorts, go back and take a break, nap, etc. We were guilty of this on more than one occasion. We live local to Disney now and have the luxury of just going for the morning or afternoon. With our 6 year old, he needs a break after 4-5 hours or he can get cranky. Everyone's children are different. Go with what you know. :sunny:

Thanks for your reply! You're right, it's be an overstimulating experience all around, I'm sure, and we won't be used to the heat (coming from wintery eastern Canada), so we'll have to plan some breaks in. Lucky you to be able to go any time :)

Do you have your room and dining reservations made?

Yes, I've made ADRs for most days, and also have our FP+s booked. I've tried to plan for park time just in the early morning-afternoon, leaving space for late afternoon rests. I do have some evening ADRs and I guess we'll have to play it by ear to see if we have to take a break before them and head back to the parks for dinner, though.

Yes, I've made ADRs for most days, and also have our FP+s booked. I've tried to plan for park time just in the early morning-afternoon, leaving space for late afternoon rests. I do have some evening ADRs and I guess we'll have to play it by ear to see if we have to take a break before them and head back to the parks for dinner, though.
Sounds like you're off to a great start! If the younger ones have never ridden any bigger rides/coasters, maybe they can watch some you tube ride videos to see what it'll be like, if you are at all concerned. Have a great time!

Sounds like you're off to a great start! If the younger ones have never ridden any bigger rides/coasters, maybe they can watch some you tube ride videos to see what it'll be like, if you are at all concerned. Have a great time!

Thanks, we're definitely counting down the days with excitement :)

Remember everything will not go as you envisioned. Don't let it ruin your vacation. Far too often you see angry parents freaking out because they missed a fast pass, a line was longer than they thought it was, the exact food they wanted wasn't available at the place they went to eat, a kid doesn't want to meet a character, etc. Don't let it bring you down, just enjoy everything. Sometimes you find something even better/more amazing by not stressing about what you miss (for example, couldn't get into the restaurant we wanted, so decided to just go to the Wave instead, and that turned out to be our best meal of the trip).

Good points! I've got things planned out but am totally happy to go with the flow and have the schedule there just in case. I just don't want to be caught without a plan at all, because that would feel way too overwhelming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter