Hawaii Safe Travels clarification

CaptainAmerica

DIS Veteran
I've done a bunch of searching and I can't find a real answer on how this works in practice. My travel party for Hawaii includes 5 fully vaccinated adults, one fully vaccinated child, and two children under 5 who aren't eligible for vaccination and aren't required to test. For Hawaii Safe Travels, when and how will my account actually reflect that the two little ones are exempt from quarantine/vaccination/testing? I've read about these wristbands that airlines are issuing prior to boarding that allow you to skip the line when you land in Honolulu, but I haven't been able to confirm whether the young children will receive wristbands of their own or if them being with us means we're going to have to stand in the line no matter what.

I've done a bunch of searching and I can't find a real answer on how this works in practice. My travel party for Hawaii includes 5 fully vaccinated adults, one fully vaccinated child, and two children under 5 who aren't eligible for vaccination and aren't required to test. For Hawaii Safe Travels, when and how will my account actually reflect that the two little ones are exempt from quarantine/vaccination/testing? I've read about these wristbands that airlines are issuing prior to boarding that allow you to skip the line when you land in Honolulu, but I haven't been able to confirm whether the young children will receive wristbands of their own or if them being with us means we're going to have to stand in the line no matter what.

I just flew Delta from ATL to HNL and they weren’t doing the wristbands anymore. Everyone had to show their documents when they landed. Not sure if that was just my airline or not. You were broken into two lines when you landed, those that had their QR codes (you had to show to the first person) and those who didn’t. You then go to a 2nd staging area where they check all your documents and ID. Just about every restaurant is asking to see your vaccination card and ID to dine. Some are ok with a picture on your phone and some want the physical form.

You can create a Safe Travels account at any point before your trip. I did mine about two weeks before. Within the website, it will ask you whether you are applying for an exception and what type you are applying for. I don’t have kids, but I would imagine when you add them, there will be a place for you to put their age. I believe I had to list mine as part of the set up. The video on the website changed after the new federal regulations changed due to Omicron, so it may look a little different now. Definitely call Safe Travels, if you can’t find the answer when you create your account and don’t forget to fill out the Health Questionnaire for each person 24 hours before. My QR code was emailed to me and didn’t pop up on the screen when I completed the questionnaire—I freaked out until I realized it was in my email. I then took a picture of it to bring up on my phone so I didn’t have to login to the site to retrieve it. It may have just been me, but I couldn’t find my QR code in their website. Good luck!

I just flew Delta from ATL to HNL and they weren’t doing the wristbands anymore. Everyone had to show their documents when they landed. Not sure if that was just my airline or not. You were broken into two lines when you landed, those that had their QR codes (you had to show to the first person) and those who didn’t. You then go to a 2nd staging area where they check all your documents and ID. Just about every restaurant is asking to see your vaccination card and ID to dine. Some are ok with a picture on your phone and some want the physical form.
My understanding is that it's a function of airline and airport. I'm flying Hawaiian Airlines and I assume if anyone is still doing it, they'd be the one.

You can create a Safe Travels account at any point before your trip. I did mine about two weeks before. Within the website, it will ask you whether you are applying for an exception and what type you are applying for. I don’t have kids, but I would imagine when you add them, there will be a place for you to put their age. I believe I had to list mine as part of the set up. The video on the website changed after the new federal regulations changed due to Omicron, so it may look a little different now. Definitely call Safe Travels, if you can’t find the answer when you create your account and don’t forget to fill out the Health Questionnaire for each person 24 hours before. My QR code was emailed to me and didn’t pop up on the screen when I completed the questionnaire—I freaked out until I realized it was in my email. I then took a picture of it to bring up on my phone so I didn’t have to login to the site to retrieve it. It may have just been me, but I couldn’t find my QR code in their website. Good luck!
My Safe Travels account is all set up, and my exception has been recorded, but there's nothing for my kids. As you can see below, my own name shows up under "Exempt" below, but my kids names do not. I guess the question boils down (and I know you said you don't have kids so it didn't apply to you) to whether my kids will get a QR code of their own, whether they're attached to my QR code somehow, or whether they won't have any QR code at all.

My understanding is that it's a function of airline and airport. I'm flying Hawaiian Airlines and I assume if anyone is still doing it, they'd be the one.

My Safe Travels account is all set up, and my exception has been recorded, but there's nothing for my kids. As you can see below, my own name shows up under "Exempt" below, but my kids names do not. I guess the question boils down (and I know you said you don't have kids so it didn't apply to you) to whether my kids will get a QR code of their own, whether they're attached to my QR code somehow, or whether they won't have any QR code at all.

View attachment 632387
They are attached to your QR code. From my understanding if they were of the age for vaccination or testing you would have to build them their own account.

When I flew back from LAX in October on Hawaiian, we all got wristbands when we checked in at the HA terminal. Of course, the attendant asked for the QR code from my wife and I. My 6 year old had to get a negative covid test 3 days prior and my 4 year old didn't require anything. When we landed in HNL, those with wristbands were directed to straight to baggage claim.

When I flew back from LAX in October on Hawaiian, we all got wristbands when we checked in at the HA terminal. Of course, the attendant asked for the QR code from my wife and I. My 6 year old had to get a negative covid test 3 days prior and my 4 year old didn't require anything. When we landed in HNL, those with wristbands were directed to straight to baggage claim.
The 4 year old got the wristband too?

My 7 year old is vaxxed, so I assume she'll be handled the same way as your 6 year old with a negative test was.

The 4 year old got the wristband too?

My 7 year old is vaxxed, so I assume she'll be handled the same way as your 6 year old with a negative test was.
yes, all of us got wristbands. Just make sure all your children are claimed either by you or your spouse's safe travels account. Upload their vaccine card or negative covid test result.

I flew Southwest in August and was unable to get a wristband for my 4YO, myself, or my other kids (all on my QR code). My husband (his own QR code) could get a wristband. We were told at the time all under-5s had to be checked once we landed - although they basically looked at my QR code and had me take a picture of a sign that said cleared/the date and the number of people on my code (me and my kids). This was from LGB to OGG

I flew Southwest in August and was unable to get a wristband for my 4YO, myself, or my other kids (all on my QR code). My husband (his own QR code) could get a wristband. We were told at the time all under-5s had to be checked once we landed - although they basically looked at my QR code and had me take a picture of a sign that said cleared/the date and the number of people on my code (me and my kids). This was from LGB to OGG
Southwest told me the other night they aren’t giving wristbands.

Southwest told me the other night they aren’t giving wristbands.
Update: I just got an email from Hawaiian Airlines that they are still providing pre-clear wristbands at your departure gate for all mainland airports they operate from. So this seems to be an airline-specific thing.

Ask me how I feel about wearing a plastic wristband 9 hours into my 12 hour flight.

Update: I just got an email from Hawaiian Airlines that they are still providing pre-clear wristbands at your departure gate for all mainland airports they operate from. So this seems to be an airline-specific thing.
Hawaiian airlines definitely gets special treatment. They’re almost like a state owned enterprise

Hawaiian airlines definitely gets special treatment. They’re almost like a state owned enterprise
Reading through this thread again... you mentioned that you got a wristband for your 4 year old, and then you also mentioned negative test results. Did you test the 4 year old, or just the 6 year old?

Reading through this thread again... you mentioned that you got a wristband for your 4 year old, and then you also mentioned negative test results. Did you test the 4 year old, or just the 6 year old?
Testing for Just the 6 year old, but my 4 year old got a wrist band too. The policy is still anyone over 5 must be vaccinated or pre travel test to bypass quarantine

Testing for Just the 6 year old, but my 4 year old got a wrist band too. The policy is still anyone over 5 must be vaccinated or pre travel test to bypass quarantine
Yep, I knew my little guys (4 and 1) don't need testing to avoid quarantine, I just wasn't sure if getting them tested would speed up the process at all.

Yep, I knew my little guys (4 and 1) don't need testing to avoid quarantine, I just wasn't sure if getting them tested would speed up the process at all.
Nah. The ticketing agent asked for my son’s age and just gave him the wrist band. Once we arrived to HNL, the officials just waived everyone wearing wristbands through.

I see an article online [Hawaii Tribune Herald] about the Lt. Governor saying Safe Travels may end in March with masks to follow- but I cannot read it without a subscription. Looks like he gave the interview yesterday?
Anyone have any insight?

Edit: I found it:

Last edited:
I see an article online [Hawaii Tribune Herald] about the Lt. Governor saying Safe Travels may end in March with masks to follow- but I cannot read it without a subscription. Looks like he gave the interview yesterday?
Anyone have any insight?

Edit: I found it:
It's just speculation at this point. Governor Ige has not said anything about dropping the Safe Travels program altogether. He only mentioned that booster shots will not be required as part of Safe Travels a couple of weeks back. Gov Ige and LTGov Green are usually not on the same page. Our omicron numbers are dropping pretty rapidly but we are also the most restrictive state in terms of health mandates. I see maybe this happening in the busy summer season but definitely after our election in November since I foresee this as a major campaign issue.

It's just speculation at this point. Governor Ige has not said anything about dropping the Safe Travels program altogether. He only mentioned that booster shots will not be required as part of Safe Travels a couple of weeks back. Gov Ige and LTGov Green are usually not on the same page. Our omicron numbers are dropping pretty rapidly but we are also the most restrictive state in terms of health mandates. I see maybe this happening in the busy summer season but definitely after our election in November since I foresee this as a major campaign issue.

That’s super interesting. He definitely said 3/17 to sunset safe travels and masks 2-4 weeks later. I guess we will see. We are there 3/16-3/19 and are both vaccinated. I just wish we could be mask-free in open air spaces like the Aulani lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter