• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haven't cruised since 2014, what has changed? Photos, character meets, etc?

Cackyschmackers

DIS Veteran
Hi! We've cruised in 2012, 2013, and 2014, all 7 or 8 nts on the Magic and Fantasy. Planning a short 4 nite next summer on the Dream. We used to go to Shutters each night to check out our gorgeous prints, found characters around each bend without much wait, kids had mickey bands, and we all had card keys. I heard you need tickets to see characters now? Is that true? And no more printed photos, is this also true? Also wondering if we are going to have shell shock going down to a 4 night. Any input? Thank you in advance!

the tickets are for the princess meet and greet, Frozen meet and greet, and Disney Junior breakfast - you can reserve these on-line now when your window is open for booking activities. Some tickets are available on the day of boarding as well. All other M&G's with characters do not require tickets. As of our last cruise in March, there were still photos in Shutters, though you can also see them on the digital screens located throughout the ship. As for the 4 night, that is up to you -- you might think it is too short, or you might think it is great for what it is. It's your vacation, have a great cruise!

There is also a Marvel meet & greet that is ticketed, but it can only be reserved at guest services, not online during check-in. At Shutters, they changed the printed photos a while ago. Before, you needed to find your pictures on the wall. Now, they put them all in a book identified by a character and a number (ex. : Pluto 17) and you can browse them when Shutters is opened. You can also use the screens to look at them digitally.

Yes. There are a few sessions during the cruise. This summer, it was Captain America, Thor and Spider-Man.

Hi! We've cruised in 2012, 2013, and 2014, all 7 or 8 nts on the Magic and Fantasy. Planning a short 4 nite next summer on the Dream. We used to go to Shutters each night to check out our gorgeous prints, found characters around each bend without much wait, kids had mickey bands, and we all had card keys. I heard you need tickets to see characters now? Is that true? And no more printed photos, is this also true? Also wondering if we are going to have shell shock going down to a 4 night. Any input? Thank you in advance!

Hi ! What are mickey bands? Are you referring to magic bands or is this something else?

Mickey bands are what the kids wear when they check in for the kids clubs (back when we went). They have rfid maybe? Like magic bands but it was to check in and out so you knew where your kids were, not to charge anything like magic bands in the park. I was wondering if everyone wore magic bands now or you still use key cards? Can anyone let us know?

Mickey bands are what the kids wear when they check in for the kids clubs (back when we went). They have rfid maybe? Like magic bands but it was to check in and out so you knew where your kids were, not to charge anything like magic bands in the park. I was wondering if everyone wore magic bands now or you still use key cards? Can anyone let us know?
No magic bands on the ships. Still using cards.

Thanks! I'd like to know this too. I have a magic band from a WDW trip I've gone on. I have never been on a cruise so this will be my first time ever and I am so excited. Wondering if you can reuse a magic band or if they only use the key cards on a cruise, if so I suppose it would be a good idea for me to get a lanyard as I've read in an article of tips on Pinterest.

Also the alcohol policy has changed in case you aren't aware. You can now only take on Wine or Beer (2 bottles per person for wine and 1x6 pack of beer)

Also the alcohol policy has changed in case you aren't aware. You can now only take on Wine or Beer (2 bottles per person for wine and 1x6 pack of beer)

Thank you! I was not aware. We normally only carry on one bottle of wine. Are they referring to no spirits? Are we still allowed to bring our own bottled water, do you know? I guess I need to check a resource for new rules since we've cruised... maybe FAQs on their website?

Thank you! I was not aware. We normally only carry on one bottle of wine. Are they referring to no spirits? Are we still allowed to bring our own bottled water, do you know? I guess I need to check a resource for new rules since we've cruised... maybe FAQs on their website?

Yes its no spirits and only 2 bottles of wine per adult or 6 beers. You can still bring your own water and soft drink on that's fine.

Yes its no spirits and only 2 bottles of wine per adult or 6 beers. You can still bring your own water and soft drink on that's fine.

Just getting clarification since I've seen it both ways on other cruise lines...

It is 2 bottles PER ADULT so if there are 2 adults they could bring 4 bottles total - 2 each. And if there is one person s/he could bring 2 bottles her/himself.

(RCCL it's PER ADULT up to 4 bottles - so a solo could bring on 2 bottles. HAL it is (or was in 2014) 1 per adult up to 2 in the stateroom - so a solo could bring on 1 bottle only. Well, HAL would allow additional bottles for a charge regardless of where you intended to drink the wine. But talking free here...)

Just getting clarification since I've seen it both ways on other cruise lines...

It is 2 bottles PER ADULT so if there are 2 adults they could bring 4 bottles total - 2 each. And if there is one person s/he could bring 2 bottles her/himself.

(RCCL it's PER ADULT up to 4 bottles - so a solo could bring on 2 bottles. HAL it is (or was in 2014) 1 per adult up to 2 in the stateroom - so a solo could bring on 1 bottle only. Well, HAL would allow additional bottles for a charge regardless of where you intended to drink the wine. But talking free here...)

No definitely 2 per adult so a solo can take 2. Also its at each port which I forgot to mention so you can take 2 on at Embarkation but also then 2 at additional stops (again either 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers).

No definitely 2 per adult so a solo can take 2. Also its at each port which I forgot to mention so you can take 2 on at Embarkation but also then 2 at additional stops (again either 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers).

Thanks! :) Great news for those of us who travel solo!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter