• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever ordered a holiday meal from a supermarket?

Wow, those prices are great! I gave it a thought to do it this year, but the cheapest I found was $49.95 PER PERSON for a meal that feeds 4-6. There's only 4 of us and 2 of us aren't even big eaters.

I guess I'm fixing dinner again this year.

We did Cracker Barrel one year since we really like their food. Not only was the pick up horribly organized but the food was awful.

We had an early thanksgiving for 18 from a local caterer, close to $300 (with beef tenderloin, too). For thanksgiving we will be down to 6 people, so I ordered the $99 option from shoprite. It gets picked up frozen 2 days early, you defrost and heat. I'll update.

We have from Wegmans, Shop Rite and Boston Market. I think Boston Market is our favorite. My parents always did Thanksgiving and wanted to continue once mom got sick. Dad is not a cook and wanted easy as he was her primary caregiver. We were only a family of 5, so super easy. My mom wasn't a fan in the beginning as it wasn't her sides. However, it worked and the most important thing was being together as a family. Mom has since passed and dad(81) still wants to take care of the meal and does not want holidays to shift to our house. Now we are 4 and enjoy being together....but now have filet mignon for dinner, as opposed to turkey.

I've done Cracker Barrel a couple of times and was very pleased with it. Did it one year from HEB, a Texas grocery heaven. It was quite good.

My mom used to order them from Food Lion. Only once have I heard of a problem. My SIL at the time picked one up that the cooks had forgotten to thaw!

About 10 years ago from Shop Rite. The turkey itself was good, the side dishes (stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and gravy) were disappointing.
This is exactly the way my family felt when we ordered Thanksgiving dinner from our grocery store chain, Martins. Another time we went on a beach vacation with several other families over Easter Break. Since we were traveling, we ordered Easter dinner from Piggly Wiggly - spiral ham, mac & cheese, potato casserole, veggies, fried chicken, some other sides - it was delicious!!!

We did Krogers last year since we had the meal in my dads assisted living apartment. I was really disappointed and would never do it again. I don't think the meal is that hard to do, but nobody wanted to eat food that was driven 3 hours. This year my brother is having thanksgiving and since they are all wonderful cooks, I am really looking forward to it.

I've ordered the turkey dinner from Wegmans several times and was very, very pleased. Initially I was a little leary about re-heating the carved turkey but I followed their instructions and it tasted like it was just carved off the bone.

We've ordered turkey dinners from Roche Bros and Wegmans. They were both very good and just required reheating. I'm ordering a turkey dinner from wegmans for xmas eve this year.

About 15 years ago, my father in law was housebound so we went there for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I couldn't leave my mother in law to cook for all of us, so I brought the Stop and Shop Turkey dinner in a box.

It was fine, with the exception of the stuffing-- I'm pretty sure they use Boston Market stuff, and we didn't love the stuffing. So the next meal, we made that as a side and included it.

It came in a box, and did need to be reheated-- I think the turkey was an hour or two. But it was a great solution.

I'd say at that price it's worth a try then, especially if everybody in the house is on-board and not likely to complain if something isn't "just so". :thumbsup2
I don't blame you one bit. I hope you have a great day with your family. :santa:

Last edited:
I never have but have considered it several times. I'd give it a shot, why not? If some of the dishes are not to your taste, you can always supplement with additional sides.

I picked up the pre-cleaned, already in a bag, frozen to oven ARCHER FARMS turkey for this year. I am making my own sides, but using a lot.of.canned stuff, which I normally would not. It's been a stressful time and I need easy.

My inlaws did one year - it was not good at all. Turkey was dry, dressing was runny, mashed potatoes were a lumpy mess. I've no idea how much it cost or where they bought it actually since we were visiting from out of town.
We left their house and were thankful we were heading to my parents house for a 2nd Thanksgiving since we were hungry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter