Have You Ever Just "Winged It"?

SarahC97

DIS Veteran
The hubs and I are going on a quick weekend trip at the end of August. We've booked the hotel (Boardwalk)and plan to get two-day hoppers. I'm thinking of not making any ADRs or Fast passes and just winging it. I don't think the ADRs are such a big deal because we don't really want to do any sit down meals on such a short trip, but do you think it's possible to get good fast passes day of? We're not doing Animal Kingdom or the new Toy Story rides. I'm thinking of not buying tickets until we arrive - is that a mistake?

As long as your expectations are appropriate, you can have a great time winging it.
Even with FP+, I still wing it on most of my visits, and often end up doing completely different plans than what was booked for fast passes.

I'm not sure there's much upside to buying tickets when you arrive though. If you buy them earlier, you can at least save some time at the ticket booth and head straight to the gate.

As long as your expectations are appropriate, you can have a great time winging it.
Even with FP+, I still wing it on most of my visits, and often end up doing completely different plans than what was booked for fast passes.

I'm not sure there's much upside to buying tickets when you arrive though. If you buy them earlier, you can at least save some time at the ticket booth and head straight to the gate.
True. I just don't think we'll buy tickets much ahead of time. I kind of like the idea of getting there and just doing what we want instead of having everything planned out but I'm warring with myself about it because I've never done it this way! It's kind of scary!

True. I just don't think we'll buy tickets much ahead of time. I kind of like the idea of getting there and just doing what we want instead of having everything planned out but I'm warring with myself about it because I've never done it this way! It's kind of scary!

We always plan a framework, but I like a little structure. I cannot make a decision to save my life so this way that part is taken care of. If you are not worried about ADR's, and really do not care about specific attractions, you will be fine.

I guess I do not understand the benefits of waiting to purchase tickets, ot to avoid booking any FP. You do not need to use the FP if you do nto want to, and you can move them around when you arrive if you decide you want to.
There's a part of me that doesn't want to plan so much. I'm just asking if it's realitic to expect fast passes to be available for things day of.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to plan so much. I'm just asking if it's realitic to expect fast passes to be available for things day of.

My friend joined us for a day and purchased her ticket day of. She was able to get FP for everything we were on but Mine train. As I said, if you are not fussy you should be okay. I would not count on Soarin, but there is more to EPcot than that attraction. I would not expect Mine train but I like People mover better.

My friend joined us for a day and purchased her ticket day of. She was able to get FP for everything we were on but Mine train. As I said, if you are not fussy you should be okay. I would not count on Soarin, but there is more to EPcot than that attraction. I would not expect Mine train but I like People mover better.

Thank you!

Thank you!

We usually book three FP per day, but I am not strategic, and really only care about my ADR's (it's all about the food for me) but after that we just wander wherever our feet take us. I am not at all invested in getting the biggest bang for my ticket price in regards to attractions. I honestly think there is a lot you can do and enjoy without being tied to a FP timeframe.

The hubs and I are going on a quick weekend trip at the end of August. We've booked the hotel (Boardwalk)and plan to get two-day hoppers. I'm thinking of not making any ADRs or Fast passes and just winging it. I don't think the ADRs are such a big deal because we don't really want to do any sit down meals on such a short trip, but do you think it's possible to get good fast passes day of? We're not doing Animal Kingdom or the new Toy Story rides. I'm thinking of not buying tickets until we arrive - is that a mistake?

Just remember there is a big difference between possible and likely. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No. So definitely do not plan on it. If there are things you really want to make sure you get on, then you would be better off making the FP+ in advance. Quite honestly, there's really nothing to making a few FP, if you're not trying to work around ADRs etc... You're not married to them, so if you get there and get involved with something else and want to skip them... go for it. But at least you'll have them in case.

But, if you don't care what rides you get, or when, then by all means go for it.

I totally understand this! I winged it for a day in Disneyland - my first-ever visit there - and it was amazing. Granted, they don't have the same type of FP situation as we do at WDW, but I had seriously the most fun ever. No dining reservations, getting FP as I went...it was great. I plan my WDW trips but not intensely, my 3 FPs and maybe one ADR a day, but it felt so freeing to be able to just go with the wind. I haven't really done it at WDW but I would definitely try it. I kept my expectations realistic overall and had a wonderful day.

We've done it quite a few times. It's extremely freeing. You may not ride headliners, but you'll be able to get rides in. With only 2 people, you'd be surprised what kind of dining you can find day-of, too. Go. Relax. Enjoy.

Wing it? I cringe at the thought. But that's just me. I want it all to be perfect including eating at those hard-to-get-last-minute restaurants and riding the most popular attractions (multiple times). Try ParkSavers.com or UnderCoverTourist.com for discounted park tix. Just checked and they start their park hopper tix at 3-days so maybe not right for you this time. Good luck whatever you choose. I'm sure you'll have a great time either way. You'll be at WDW!

The best trip we have ever taken was in February and we "winged it" all but 1 dining reservation (hoop dee doo) and our day at Animal Kingdom. We were there 7 days and just did what we felt like each day and had the most enjoyable time. It was liberating. Honestly we actually felt present the entire time and just soaked in the magic rather than rushing from scheduled thing to thing. I usually plan and overplan every trip and so i was a little nervous, but in the end it was amazing.

Go for it. Our last trip in january was just a two day trip in front of a disney cruise and we had fp booked for one park each day but decided to go for all 4 parks in two days so we didn't have fp's for some and skipped out on others we had booked because we wanted to hop parks and had a great time and didn't miss out on anything that we wanted to do. I've never done an ADR in 10 years so i'd be fine without those.

Yes, it's very realistic. If you want to wing it, don't be scared, go for it!! We're pretty much wing it people all the time. The thought of having a spreadsheet or "itinerary" or any formal structure like that on vacation turns my stomach. I can't even imagine. My life at home is plenty scripted. I'm on vacation. I want to do what I want, when I want...and that's how we do it. It takes some MDE refreshing, but I'd be willing to bet we get on just as many rides...including headliners...as someone who scripts every last minute. Plus we just like having the 100% flexibility to change plans of the fly. We're tired? OK, great, let's call it a day. We're done with park A, no problem, let's go to park B. Ride X is closed, bummer, let's just move to the ride next door and grab a FP+ for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter