Have you ever had your table stolen at a restaurant?

Not a table but I have had my order at WaWa stolen. They make your sandwich, slap it on the counter and then call out your number. I must have been in another part of the store when my number was called. It was taking forever. When I approached the counter and inquired about my order, they said it had been picked up:rolleyes:

It's not impossible the restaurant told you they had seated a party with your name because they either made a mistake or because they called your name and no one answered so they moved on. It's probably easier to say they seated that party so it's "someone else's" fault.

I've never had a table stolen but I've seen people who came in after us get seated before us and people who were seated after us get their food before us. That's really irritating.

Well, obviously, it's odd and not polite.
How did they skip ahead to the hostess station when your name was called?

Easy - when my name was called, they went up and said it was them. They got there before we did.

With a name like Smith.. lol yea it's happened!
I rolled up on the table and addressed the woman. Told her it was amazing that Two Rebecca Smith were in the same restaurant. Same time. Party of two. I kept on with the WOW crap. Even threw in man the odds.. being as this city has over 450,000 people. She looked down and said sorry!
:confused: Not sure I understand what you're saying here. You are Rebecca Smith and when your name was called someone else also named Rebecca Smith (actually possible because the name is common) took the table? Why wouldn't they? That's a completely reasonable thing to do, albeit it resulted in an error that was unintentional on everybody's part. Why would you then get snarky? Who would hear "their" name called and assume the table was actually for someone else? Please correct me if I'm reading your post wrong.

:confused: Not sure I understand what you're saying here. You are Rebecca Smith and when your name was called someone else also named Rebecca Smith (actually possible because the name is common) took the table? Why wouldn't they? That's a completely reasonable thing to do, albeit it resulted in an error that was unintentional on everybody's part. Why would you then get snarky? Who would hear "their" name called and assume the table was actually for someone else? Please correct me if I'm reading your post wrong.

I read the post to mean that the woman who took the table did not have the name Rebecca Smith but heard party of 2 and decided she would be Rebecca Smith to get the table. If the host has a second person come in with the same name as one already on the list, they will ask for another name, not leave two identical parties on the list.

I was in line to get a table for our party of 4 at a Sandals resort. When the host started leading me to the table the drunk old man behind me followed and plopped himself down at the table. The host just took me to another table that was better.

No.. her name was not Rebecca smith.
There was an hour wait. They called my name she took my spot.
And I got snarky cuz it was a horrible thing for her to do. Real ****ty

My story isn't exactly like the OPs but my husband and I were just in Hawaii a lil over a week and a half ago. We went to this brunch place in Honolulu. We put our names down and at that time there wasn't any table open. Well the bar just opened up as a few people left (the bar wasn't like a place to get alcohol just a place to eat without it being an actual table). This group of 4 that was in front of us was given the option of taking the bar..they hesitated because they really wanted a table but didn't want to have to wait much longer. They eventually declined the bar and thus it was given to us as an option. Now they were right there in front of us when we were given the option of going to the bar. Well SUDDENLY the bar became the place they wanted AFTER we had said "sure we'll take it" so they swept those spots right from under us. I didn't think it was right for the host to just up and take the spots away from us much less the group but it did put the host in an odd spot.

So funny thing is just after they were seated at the bar a table for 4 became open so it was fine for us to sit there. Well before we even got through the door (as all the waiting was done outside the restaurant) SUDDENLY they wanted that table and so they moved from the bar to the table. We ended up at the bar like we were originally given the option for. It was tactless in my opinion for the group to do it. Either you accept the bar or your don't but don't make groups be moved around for your preferred spot. I did complain to the other host (I believe they were brothers) who ended up seating us about what happened and he genuinely understood how we felt and apologized. I said it wasn't as big of a deal because we didn't have to wait more than a minute more for seating but that they should keep that in mind for future issues.

Wow! That really stinks and would not have happened if I had been the hostess. As soon as they changed their minds and asked for the bar table, I would have said, "OK. I'll seat you when the next one becomes available." No way would I let them jump in front of you after they had refused the table. And to do it twice? Let's just say that the customer is not always right! Just because someone arrives first, it does not give them license to make the rules for everyone.

It's happened to me Twice actually. First time a bunch of us took a friend out to celebrate his birthday. There were 10-15 of us in the party and it was a very busy restaurant so we were sitting at the bar. After about 30 minutes someone went to check and see how much longer we should expect only to find out our party had just been seated! Um, no not us. Another large group walked in at just the right time and claimed out table (according to the hostess a few didn't want to wait, that's why the numbers didn't match). It took another 20 minutes to get seated. We did get lots of free appetizers for the mix up. I wish they had removed the other group for being so dishonest.

Second time was at Tony's in WDW. Had a reservation for our family of 4, checked in and waited. The hostess called us and as we were walking up through the crowd, a lady rushed up I guess saying that was her party. The hostess had her halfway to the table by the time my family made it to the hostess stand. It was a bit funny to see the perplexed look on the hostess's face when she realized what was going on. Even better when the other family had to come back out because the table they tried to snatch wouldn't accommodate a high chair. The hostess was very nice to us, laughing about it. The lady in the other family was livid that she had been thwarted.

Wow! That really stinks and would not have happened if I had been the hostess. As soon as they changed their minds and asked for the bar table, I would have said, "OK. I'll seat you when the next one becomes available." No way would I let them jump in front of you after they had refused the table. And to do it twice? Let's just say that the customer is not always right! Just because someone arrives first, it does not give them license to make the rules for everyone.
Yeah we were annoyed. I kinda chalked it up to it was in Hawaii where it was a more laid back environment especially given where the place was located (less tourist-y spot) but still. Some people think the world revolves around them.

I don't think the host meant to be rude to us, it was just he was put into a weird position. I do think he should have said "unfortunately these people have accepted the spot so I will be able to sit you afterwards" but I get why he didn't but at least I let the other host know.

No.. her name was not Rebecca smith.
There was an hour wait. They called my name she took my spot.
And I got snarky cuz it was a horrible thing for her to do. Real ****ty

Thanks. Whether or not her name was also Rebecca Smith is that part that had me confused.
With a name like Smith.. lol yea it's happened!
I rolled up on the table and addressed the woman. Told her it was amazing that Two Rebecca Smith were in the same restaurant. Same time. Party of two. I kept on with the WOW crap. Even threw in man the odds.. being as this city has over 450,000 people. She looked down and said sorry!

Not a table but I have had my order at WaWa stolen. They make your sandwich, slap it on the counter and then call out your number. I must have been in another part of the store when my number was called. It was taking forever. When I approached the counter and inquired about my order, they said it had been picked up:rolleyes:

I was in a Panera Bread when that happened to someone else.

I've never had a table stolen but I've seen people who came in after us get seated before us and people who were seated after us get their food before us. That's really irritating.
The people that got seated before you may have gotten in line for a table on line there are restaurants that let you call ahead for a spot on line there is even an app for it.

Bunch of wowzas stole my table. Food on it and all. I made the mistake of turning my back on it, and in a moment it was gone! Sometimes, I miss that table :(

The people that got seated before you may have gotten in line for a table on line there are restaurants that let you call ahead for a spot on line there is even an app for it.
I realize that but not in this instance. We have a Mexican restaurant near us that doesn't keep good track of the list at the podium. In this instance we had been put on the list and the guy walked away. Another party walked in and a different guy came over and seated them without even looking at the list. I spoke up and complained and we got seated next.

Haven't had the table stolen as you are saying. However, we were on vacation in Jamaica, having just sat down for the buffet breakfast. We were served our coffee and went to the buffet to get our food. While we were up getting food, our table was cleared as they thought we left! We had just sat down and got our coffee. They were apologetic but it was sort of funny! We all had a good laugh

This actually happened to me about 2 years ago at Le Chefs de France. The person calling out names spoke with a very thick accent. I went up to him after waiting over an hour to be seated and he said he already called my name and I was seated. I told him that was incorrect. He felt bad and gave us complimentary champagne. I think restaurants are better off giving out pagers vs calling out names.

No one would ever get a table from me. I pay pretty close attention.

Same here. I listen closely and am right there after they call our name. I am surprised that it happens. Maybe I never ate at a restaurant so large that I couldn't make it to the hostess in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter