Have You Ever Had To Confront Another Guest's Poor Behavior?

Only once, when a bunch of High School Seniors (by their shirts) were bouncing around, shoving each other and hitting people, waiting for the fireworks show. 2 of them hit a shorter lady and her children. Stopped them and said I can get the CMs here if you like. They stopped. Just seemed like something I shouldn't have needed to do, but didn't see anyone helping them after being run into several times.

Last time I was at Disney I had a great spot to watch fireworks (MK - pre pandemic). I had turned around once and noticed a young girl behind me. Right before the show started, she pushed past me and got in front. The parents were shocked, and said "she just pushed right by that lady" but I assured them I was going to ask her to get in front of me anyway, once the fireworks started. Usually, we just witness bad behavior, then when we meet up for our dinner reservation we share stories of "Guests behaving badly", then vote on the best one. Max points if the whole family is misbehaving. Once we witnessed a husband and wife have a shouting match over finances at a parade. The kids were behaving. Drat.
edit to add: the fight was like, "well you maxed out our credit cards", "oh yeah? they're going to repossess your car" type of fight.

One time on Haunted Mansion someone in the next Doom Buggy was obnoxiously texting on a bright phone screen, ruining the ride for everyone nearby. I called out “Sir, please stop texting”, trying to sound as authoritative as I could, and he put his phone away immediately, possibly thinking my voice was a CM over a loudspeaker.
Maybe he thought you were a ghost

I'm amazed at reading some of these experiences, truly.

I've had my fair share of being rammed by scooters/prams and it blummin hurts!
Some of the annoying things I witness is one member of a family running up to a ride queue then blocking off the entrance until their family catch up with them and I think really, it would be so difficult for you to wait and all join together? 🤔

The 2 that always come to mind for me are
1. When I visited in 2017 with my partner, we were sat waiting for the Christmas parade on a curb outsidemain street theatre. As the parade starts, a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young daughters) appeared behind us but there was literally no room to scooch over so the kids could sit. They kept leaning on us (more in awe of the parade that rudely) and we laughed about it. About 5 minutes in, we asked the parents if the girls wanted our places and we'd stand behind in their place. Instead of it being a nice thoughtful situation and easy "swap", we somehow got pushed back by these parents so they could stand behind their daughters (fair enough) but we got pushed back to where we were up against the shops. We laugh about it as it was just a "how did that just happen" sort of moment but didn't dwell on it. I just think, we got a front row seat and got crowd surfed out because we were trying to do a nice thing haha 😄
2. When visiting Disneyland Paris last October, me and my partner had a group of young teens behind us in line for parachute drop with a young child about 5 years old.
Obviously with covid, there were distancing markers on the floor. For two thirds of the queue, this child kept climbing over the railing next to us, coughing in our faces (no masks for under 12 years old) and being a little you know what. The teens were ignoring him after numerous people asked for them to stay within their marker area when finally I flipped and screamed at them to back up (all of them were up our a** in the queue) and they went dead silent. I felt bad I'll admit as I'm non confrontational (I'm I'm wuss at heart) but it just wound me up so much.

Another one which had just come to mind and again makes me laugh is me and my partner were on big thunder mountain at DLP when a single mum with 3 young children were behind us in the queue. As we were going to our boarding area, the CM said to her sorry but you can't all be in one seat, you can only have 2 children each side of you. Without hesitation, she pointed to us and said she'll sit with them. We were both shocked and for some absolutely dumb reason never said anything and this random child who we basically had responsibility for during this ride, was squashed between us. It was so awkward but again we laugh at it just because we were totally bewildered on both neither of us saying anything and for a parent to allow that 🤣

I’m usually pretty passive and the fact that I’m tall usually keeps people from wanting to test me. Only time at WDW I had to say something was when I saw a boy trying to kick a duck at AK. It got out of the way and he missed, but I could see him about to take another run at it. I told him to stop and he did. His mom came over and led him away. I’m not sure if she saw what happened.

One time at Disneyland, two women stepped in front of me on Main Street, took a few steps, and then stopped to take a pictures of their Starbucks drinks. I came really close to running them over. This is late afternoon and Main Street is not very crowded. Don’t know why it got to me that time, but I decided to go around them, wait for them to finish taking pictures of their coffee, and then stopped directly in front of them and pretended to take pictures of the castle. They get very upset and start yelling at me to not stop in the middle of the street. They are just going off on me while I ignore them. They were so entitled they wanted me to move out of the way for them when they could have easily stepped around me. I thought about saying something, but to be honest their anger was hilarious to me because 1) they were getting upset at me for doing exactly the same thing they did a few seconds earlier and 2) they kept getting more and more upset because I was ignoring them and not moving. Finally, they start to go around me and I start moving as well so they end up behind me again. I take a few steps and then decided I needed more castle photos. I hear more complaining, but they go around me this time and I smile at them.

I would never directly confront a guest as a guest except in certain situations such as when I thought the boy was going to hurt a defenseless animal. As a former CM, I will say that when guests witness another guest being rude to you and come to your defense, it is a great feeling. Back when Cafe Orleans was counter service, I had a man ask me to clean a table his family was saving. His wife and two children were there and I cleaned the table while the dad was getting food. A few minutes later his son comes over and asks me to clean the table again so I do. Eventually the guy comes out with food and I see him getting upset with his son. I can hear the son telling him “I did ask him to clean it and he never did”. I go over to see what is wrong, but before I can say anything, the guy grabs my towel from out of my hand and starts wiping the table himself. He then tells me that he will be filing a complaint against me. I was still fairly new back then so I got a little worried. The guests at the table next to them call me over and tell me they think I’m doing a great job. Now almost 20 years later I look back and I feel sorry for that family because they obviously have some issues. But I also have not forgotten the kindness of the guests at the table next to them and the kind words they had for me.

Another one which had just come to mind and again makes me laugh is me and my partner were on big thunder mountain at DLP when a single mum with 3 young children were behind us in the queue. As we were going to our boarding area, the CM said to her sorry but you can't all be in one seat, you can only have 2 children each side of you. Without hesitation, she pointed to us and said she'll sit with them. We were both shocked and for some absolutely dumb reason never said anything and this random child who we basically had responsibility for during this ride, was squashed between us. It was so awkward but again we laugh at it just because we were totally bewildered on both neither of us saying anything and for a parent to allow that 🤣

I had a similar experience at Six Flags Over Texas. They have a ride called the Chaparral Antique Car Ride. Each car seats 4 people and the ride is basically Autopia with older cars. Group of 5 in front of us is an adult with 4 kids. They get in their car and are told they cannot have more than 4. So the littlest girl gets off thinking someone will get off with her and they’ll take the next car. Instead the adult and the other kids take off, leaving the bewildered child at the station with a Six Flags ride operator. For whatever reason, single riders are not allowed on this ride whether they are adults or children so she couldn’t just go on the next car. The ride operator asks us if she could ride with us and we say yes. We even let her be the driver. She was a sweet kid and it was her first time driving a car so she was all smiles on the ride. When we get back to the station her family is gone. They didn’t wait for her at the exit. We follow her around for a little bit to see if she can find her family and eventually she sees them waiting in line for another ride. My friend was going to say something to the adult, but I told him to let it go.

Wow so many of these stories are waiting for fireworks/parades to start! I’ve witnessed a lot of quarrels happen myself before the start of a fireworks show. In MK the crowds that trap you in after fireworks begin are a claustrophobic’s nightmare!! God forbid there was ever an emergency, you’re trapped in!l! I’ve been stuck in that situation too many times where I feel I just need to get out. I don’t get how people can enjoy fireworks crammed in like a sardine with nowhere to run. It’s truly horrible. Then trying to leave and getting your heels nipped at by scooters and strollers 😣
Am I the only one?!

I had a similar experience at Six Flags Over Texas. They have a ride called the Chaparral Antique Car Ride. Each car seats 4 people and the ride is basically Autopia with older cars. Group of 5 in front of us is an adult with 4 kids. They get in their car and are told they cannot have more than 4. So the littlest girl gets off thinking someone will get off with her and they’ll take the next car. Instead the adult and the other kids take off, leaving the bewildered child at the station with a Six Flags ride operator. For whatever reason, single riders are not allowed on this ride whether they are adults or children so she couldn’t just go on the next car. The ride operator asks us if she could ride with us and we say yes. We even let her be the driver. She was a sweet kid and it was her first time driving a car so she was all smiles on the ride. When we get back to the station her family is gone. They didn’t wait for her at the exit. We follow her around for a little bit to see if she can find her family and eventually she sees them waiting in line for another ride. My friend was going to say something to the adult, but I told him to let it go.
That's awful, I can't believe some people but how amazing I bet that little girls ride was with you 😊

Wow so many of these stories are waiting for fireworks/parades to start! I’ve witnessed a lot of quarrels happen myself before the start of a fireworks show. In MK the crowds that trap you in after fireworks begin are a claustrophobic’s nightmare!! God forbid there was ever an emergency, you’re trapped in!l! I’ve been stuck in that situation too many times where I feel I just need to get out. I don’t get how people can enjoy fireworks crammed in like a sardine with nowhere to run. It’s truly horrible. Then trying to leave and getting your heels nipped at by scooters and strollers 😣
Am I the only one?!
You are not. I was at MK on the 40th anniversary day (by accident, I wasn't as Disney savvy as I am now). When fireworks came, there were so many people and CM were yelling so much for people to leave walkways open, it was downright scary and certainly not enjoyable. I will never go to MK on a day that will be that full again.

Since we are locals and AP holders we have seen some real doozies... Here the top 3...

The main one that sticks out in my head... My DD was about 7 or 8 years old, and it was just her and I back then... We were rounding the corner coming off Main Street, passing the ice cream shop and The plaza, Right in that open space...When we heard shouting, I grabbed my daughter and put her behind me to protect her.... we were right in the middle of what was about to happen. There was this man, shoving his wife in the chest, she is holding about a 2 year old child, with other child clinging to her side how she did not fall on the ground, was a blessing... he had a boy about 7 or 8 years old by the arm, jerking him off his feet like he was a rag doll, screaming at him, spit flying, he whips off his belt, and just as he began's to strike the boy, this hand grabs him and the belt and twist his arm behind his back, and force's him to kneel down, Everyone started clapping for this man... 3 other men were standing in front of his wife and the kids protecting them. Disney security arrive, when they say send the cavalry, there was about 15 people, from blue jackets to uniformed security. They whisked them out the gate right there... Then some more people arrived, and started asking what happened, calming everyone down. Handing out free meals, ice cream, drinks vouchers...

This whole thing took less than a about 3 minutes from start to them leading them behind the scene's.

The next one was a woman in Epcot, that was trying to get whoever to buy her a drink... she was in completely trashed...walking up people begging them to buy her a drink... She came up to us and ask us to buy her a drink, and my DH was like sure, you want a coke or bottled water? He can be just so cute!!!! ... I started laughing, along with some other guest who heard DH... and yes we would have bought her a coke or bottled water, if she would have wanted it... she was not to happy and let a string of adult words a mile long... then Disney Security came up, and she was so blasted out of the water, that she asked them to buy her a drink and they were like sure come with us, and off they went...

Last one in the top 3...

We were going into Epcot for F&W, and we were in line to go through the AP holders turnstile. This woman in front of us when it was her families turn, the bands would not work, and she lost it... started yelling at the poor CM, who was "earning her ears"... Demanding that she be let through... The CM is explaining to Ms. Entitlement.. that this line is for AP holders, then this man behind us tells her to get out of the line, to which only made things worse... then she start in about how much money they are spending, and blah blah blah... So another cast member comes up and opened the other side and motioned for us to come around... She looked and me and goes I bet you live here, and I said Yes I do, and I pay for my AP's... then she said then you should be grateful for people like me who come here and spend our money, you should bow down and feel lucky that we come here, because your locals and your nothing but a bunch of -------------------------- and then things really went sideways... I looked at her and said... What a fine example you are setting for your children, and while I will never bow down, I will bend over...you get the drift to what I said next... My DH broke out into laughter, and then I sweetly smiled and said, and by the way feel free to get on I-75 and head north... oh and Well bless your heart, and by this time DH is laughing so hard he can hardly catch his breath, and I started laughing as we walked away...

Last edited:
I had to hold myself back last week. We were sitting in the waiting area for our lunch reservation at Garden Grill. A family with two young kids parks outside the railing for the restaurant and starts screaming to the characters. Loud and obnoxiously, "Come on Mickey! Take a picture!" Over and over loudly, parents and both kids. They never got physical but they were definitely persistent with every character that came by. People were trying to enjoy their meal with the characters that they paid for and these people were outside begging and yelling. They would not go away, the staff at Garden Grill were standing in a line shoulder to shoulder, but nobody said anything to them. They went on and on "There are no characters here! This is not magical! It's supposed to be magical for the kids! Let Mickey take a picture with us" I wanted to say something so bad but I just stayed out of it. Finally the manager came out and, after they got in her face and challenged her, they did leave.

I asked the cast members if this happens a lot, and they said unfortunately yes.

One year we took my 6 year old niece to the Halloween party. She wanted to see the stage show so we found a spot where she could see. Right after it started a lady and 2 teenage girls came and stood right in front of us blocking my niece's view. She was upset and turned to me and said "I can't see". I grabbed her hand and guided her in front of the lady and teenagers. I heard them say "did you see that? they just came and stood in front of us".

A few years later I went on a trip with my sisters. By the end of the trip I was having trouble with my foot and walking slow and limping. While leaving Fantasmic I was rammed by a stroller. The first I thought was an accident - it was dark and crowded. The second time I thought what the? The third time I knew it was on purpose and immediately stepped to the side and stopped. A man, head down came barreling through pushing his stroller. After the trip I was diagnosed with tendonitis and spent almost 6 months in PT.

We unintentionally cut in a line and nobody told us! There was an empty spot on a wall so we went and sat there while waiting for our FP. All of a sudden The Stepsisters come up and start fawning over my grandson (who was mortified). My first thought was that I didn't know they roamed the park. Then I turned and saw that every one who was sitting on the wall was now standing in an obvious line. I told the first family in line that we didn't know and how sorry we were. That was the fastest character meet ever as I rushed my family out of there.

We even let her be the driver. She was a sweet kid and it was her first time driving a car so she was all smiles on the ride. When we get back to the station her family is gone. They didn’t wait for her at the exit. We follow her around for a little bit to see if she can find her family and eventually she sees them waiting in line for another ride. My friend was going to say something to the adult, but I told him to let it go

Wow! Just Wow!
On multiple levels. Plus, that first time your kid drives a car, that is magical.
Yeah, saying something to parents that crappy wouldn't have gone well.

We unintentionally cut in a line and nobody told us!
I think this could be a huge reason many people get so defensive when talked to about their “bad” behavior. They’re in Disney & they either truly don’t know what they just did, or they don’t see what just happened the same way you did.

I think offering people a lot of grace (& the benefit of the doubt) on vacations is a blessing to everyone.
pixiedust:

On the flip side of that, I also acknowledge there (sadly) are people who selfishly do rude things. As a person who used to walk Disney, but is now in a motorized wheelchair, I do understand the frustrations others have with people in scooters… but this is not a one-way street. I’ve had teenage boys literally jump over my footplate and kick me in the shins bc they wanted to beat me across Main Street & I can’t stop on a dime. Even with my own children, nieces, & nephews, I give them the same spiel every trip- “I don’t want to hurt you, but if you step in front of me- remember that I can’t stop that fast & your ankles will get hit. I will be sorry, but it won’t be my fault.” I was raised to be extremely aware, and I can usually avoid accidents (bc I see them coming)…. but I’m not a miracle-worker!! If I see people heading towards me, looking the other way, I start slowing down and calling out “excuse me- please watch out” and they oftentimes are able to see me in time, but a few times I get run into… & half of the time they declare it to be my fault… like I said in the beginning, it’s all about perception- and I know I appreciate it when others give me the benefit of the doubt 😍

I always greatly appreciate those who do see me & even teach their children to be mindful of those around them. I’ve seen a lot of kindness, smiles, waiting for me to cross first, and people offering to open doors… including young teenagers on their own. 😊 It’s always encouraging to see the next generation showing such thoughtfulness 😇

Last edited:
I was waiting in line at Spaceship Earth and a party of two fellow park goers were directly in front of us. Once we were making the last bend in line to go in SE the people in front of us let about 5-6 of their party in line. I was frustrated but it wasn't worth a confrontation. Happiest place on earth, right? So, I loaded in the ride vehicle right behind their party who skipped us. Upon exiting the ride I noticed one member of their party had sat in gum. I laughed and felt relieved because that would have been my ride vehicle.

I have one where I still to this day don’t know if I was being rude or not. We are in galaxy’s edge and I was waiting with my two young kids while my husband was with my other son who was getting a lightsaber at Savi’s. Near the Savi’s entrance there was a cool seat shaped like a pod/speeder thing so my kids sat on it and pretended they were piloting a spaceship “pew pew” etc. A woman came up and complained my “brats” were hogging the seat and it wasn’t a playground, it was there for people to take photos and if I wasn’t taking photos they had to get off. I was a bit stunned by her choice of words but asked them to get down to give her a turn and she promptly started on a massive photo session with her and her friend in various poses, sitting, standing, lying down on this thing that lasted a lot longer than my kids’ little game. Then my DH came out and we headed over to Oga’s but I do wonder, as rude as she was in her word choice, is that really a thing that certain props in star wars land are reserved for photos? With social media (e.g. I know about the purple wall in MK) I could see that being the case, but there was no signage or anything to indicate it.

We were in line and in front of us was a family with a little kid maybe 3 or 4 and he was licking the handrail.
So I said , "mam your son is licking the handrail"
she started yelling at me telling me to mind my own business.
I was only trying to help, I would want to know if my son was doing something like that

Seen a lot of, "we're spending a lot of money on this trip so you're going to have fun damnit." instances during our years as DL APs and trips to WDW.

But the only case I can think of we never had time to say anything. I think we all have stereotypes of the "ugly American tourist" and the "worst of WDW", but this was a large family, 6 or 7, and very much looked like they came right from a country club photo shoot, They had piles of trays of uneaten food at their table at Peco's Bill, then had a food fight while they waited for two to come back from the bathroom. Then they got up and left...they did not clean up their food fight mess, bus their trays, or anything; no one even make an effort. A CM came round, looked at the mess, looked at the door, looked to me, and asked, "did ... they just ... leave?" I've never actually seem a face just "drop" in exasperation in right life before, but her's did. My 6yo and I helped bus the trays, and were happy to do so, despite the CMs insisting we didn't need to.

I've found it better for my piece of mind to just let other's behavior toward me and my party slide, confrontation often escalates things and makes everything worst. We're not rich or powerful, but we lead a relatively charmed life, and poor bahavior from the great unwashed can't take that away from us. But I'm less forgiving when I see it affect others around us.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter