• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have any of you "couples" purchased a home together?

mickeem said:
And It's official for me too!! I'm moving to Florida!! My SO got the job offer, we have a place in Ocoee, and will be driving the big rental truck in three weeks.Traci
Yay!!! Congratulations...that's awesome!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Congrats on your move and house!

After 22 years together in rented apartments, my DP and I bought our house in spring 1999. We just did the joint tenancy route too; we figure we're stuck with each other til the bitter end :teeth: ...

When we bought our house, we decided it was the last time either of us ever wanted to move. Of course, now we're looking at finding a warmer climate with a longer growing season so the cats can have more time in their garden...

mickeem said:
Well, congrats on the house decision.. And It's official for me too!! I'm moving to Florida!! My SO got the job offer, we have a place in Ocoee, and will be driving the big rental truck in three weeks.

Then, we will be looking for something to buy. Thanks for all the tips here, espescially about getting a lawyer for whatever state you are in. We will have to find out all about the laws there, versus what they are here in NY.

Lots to do!!

Love the Floor plan number1 by the way... ;)

Congrats!

Looks like we will be moving to Florida in option 1 at the end of June. Now we've got to decide on flooring and what not.

It has a view of the pond :)

Congratulations!!! :cool1:

It must be nice to get to move in early! And a view of the pond sounds great! You must be jumping off the walls. Good luck in all the new choices!

True North said:
Congratulations!!! :cool1:

It must be nice to get to move in early! And a view of the pond sounds great! You must be jumping off the walls. Good luck in all the new choices!

jumping off the walls it right :Pinkbounc lol, the dog ran to her crate to get away from me. :rotfl2:

The only bad thing is the design center is in Florida and we have to pick all this stuff out in less than 9 days and we can't get to Florida that soon. So not only do we have to pick out a zillion things but we have a short amount of time to do it.

The only things we can't pick out is the cabinets, and the countertops because they've already been installed, they are an oak caramel color, now I have to go and luck up that color and try to see what kinds of floors match it.

Here I thought it was stressfull picking out shoes, how the heck am I supposed to pick out flooring, window treatments, fixtures, appliances and more. :scratchin . I can already see the sleepless nights trying to decide.

Do I want hardwood thoughout, tile, bamboo, carpet upstairs only, lol, what do I want?

icebrat001 said:
jumping off the walls it right :Pinkbounc lol, the dog ran to her crate to get away from me. :rotfl2:

The only bad thing is the design center is in Florida and we have to pick all this stuff out in less than 9 days and we can't get to Florida that soon. So not only do we have to pick out a zillion things but we have a short amount of time to do it.

The only things we can't pick out is the cabinets, and the countertops because they've already been installed, they are an oak caramel color, now I have to go and luck up that color and try to see what kinds of floors match it.

Here I thought it was stressfull picking out shoes, how the heck am I supposed to pick out flooring, window treatments, fixtures, appliances and more. :scratchin . I can already see the sleepless nights trying to decide.

Do I want hardwood thoughout, tile, bamboo, carpet upstairs only, lol, what do I want?

I love :Pinkbounc picking out the house stuff -- Kevin thinks I'm nuts ::yes:: -- but I'm an interior designer trapped in a data base analysts body. Real hardwood and the humidity of Florida don't mix well. If you want that "wood floor" look, you'll need to find a laminate-type product. Ceramic Tile is big in Florida. It is easy to maintain and quite versitile.

A nice carpet in the bedroom is good, just watch out with berber if you have cats :cat: (nails snag) and dogs :dog: (body oils seep in and stain). Neutral paints and fabrics, pillows and rugs for punches of color. Stainless Steel appliances are a pain to keep clean. Front-loading washing machines ROCK! :banana:

Randall

:rainbow:

Malaysia and Traci - congratulations to both of you!!!!

Of course, Traci, I don't know why you would want to move down south!

And Malaysia, you'll get to actually see Disney World and decorate a new place, very cool!

And the best part ... you can all get Florida rates on an annual pass!:cool1:

Saxton said:
Malaysia and Traci - congratulations to both of you!!!!

And Malaysia, you'll get to actually see Disney World and decorate a new place, very cool!

And the best part ... you can all get Florida rates on an annual pass!:cool1:

I'm having a hard time talking Valencia into going to Disneyworld, she says, we don't have kids yet, why should we go to Disney, we are too old for disney. :scared: :(

See that's what happens when people grow up in a small midwest town like she did.

I practically grew up at Disneyland, hasn't she any idea. :idea:

Any ideas to talk her into Disney? It's only 70 miles away, I can't get all the way to Florida and then go alone my very first time.

Kevin&Randall said:
I love :Pinkbounc picking out the house stuff -- Kevin thinks I'm nuts ::yes:: -- but I'm an interior designer trapped in a data base analysts body. Real hardwood and the humidity of Florida don't mix well. If you want that "wood floor" look, you'll need to find a laminate-type product. Ceramic Tile is big in Florida. It is easy to maintain and quite versitile.

A nice carpet in the bedroom is good, just watch out with berber if you have cats :cat: (nails snag) and dogs :dog: (body oils seep in and stain). Neutral paints and fabrics, pillows and rugs for punches of color. Stainless Steel appliances are a pain to keep clean. Front-loading washing machines ROCK! :banana:

Randall

Wow I heard hardwood was okay in Florida that Bamboo was the problem. I guess Berber is out, I need to look up carpet types. I've heard about stainless steel being a pain to keep clean, I thought black would be easy but everyone keeps saying black is as bad as the steel, and I've been eyeing front-loading washers for a while, they look so cute :blush: and of course very functional.

Maybe I should just hire you for decorating advice :worship:

icebrat001 said:
I'm having a hard time talking Valencia into going to Disneyworld, she says, we don't have kids yet, why should we go to Disney, we are too old for disney. :scared: :(

See that's what happens when people grow up in a small midwest town like she did.

I practically grew up at Disneyland, hasn't she any idea. :idea:

Any ideas to talk her into Disney? It's only 70 miles away, I can't get all the way to Florida and then go alone my very first time.

Hey- don't blame it on small midwest towns!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
When we went the first time my dh was the same way- now he loves it. It's an exposure thing- you can't know until you have been...Then maybe she'll be hooked too. What do they PUT in the coke down there?! :rotfl2: Tell her it's practice for when you DO have kids- you gotta know what you're doing, right? :thumbsup2

Originally posted by Saxton
Of course, Traci, I don't know why you would want to move down south! And Malaysia, you'll get to actually see Disney World and decorate a new place, very cool!

And the best part ... you can all get Florida rates on an annual pass!

Yeah instead of thinking about the move I have to make in 3 weeks, I am trying to figure out what the first day I can get to Disney is... Hey, I still have 3 months left on my PAP, might as well use them.. :cool1:

Not sure if you wanted floor plan advice here or in the other thread. I would go with option #2 I really like the study/den area - it would make a perfect computer room, and still leave the 2nd bedroom as a guest room. I also prefer the walk-in closet in the MBR. The other plus to me in option 2 was that it would be so easy to have a grill on the lanai - and you wouldn't be bringing food thru the living room to the kitchen. Just my opinions. They are both good plans and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

jugglinfish said:
Not sure if you wanted floor plan advice here or in the other thread. I would go with option #2 I really like the study/den area - it would make a perfect computer room, and still leave the 2nd bedroom as a guest room. I also prefer the walk-in closet in the MBR. The other plus to me in option 2 was that it would be so easy to have a grill on the lanai - and you wouldn't be bringing food thru the living room to the kitchen. Just my opinions. They are both good plans and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

There were only 2 of option 2 left in the townhomes and they wouldn't be completed until Dec and we didn't like the location of where it was located. So we went with option 1, it has a lake view and a Lanai that is double the size and it's screened. We won't die without the extra room, we will just be a little creative.

We've been picking out flooring and whatnot for the place. Exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. :goodvibes :scared:

nordkin said:
The smartest thing we did was have a legal document drawn up that outlines what will happen with the house if we break up. An attorney friend of ours suggested this so we could come to agreements when we are not in the heat of a breakup and think things through when we are in a good space.

Best advice. Much better to have this in place so it is never an issue. I bought a house with my (now ex-) boyfriend. Having this in place was a great thing when we broke up 18 months later (we had been together 5 years when we bought the house).

We each had our own attorney that reveiwed things and advised us.

This is very important as there can be problems if one attorney does it (conflict of interest).

Congratulations and good luck.

/carmi

I'm bumping this up because I want an update on how things are going. Did you get everything you wanted?

Randall

Kevin&Randall said:
I'm bumping this up because I want an update on how things are going. Did you get everything you wanted?

Randall

We ended up going with Option 1 which will be complete in July, because Option 2 wouldn't be done until the very end of December and we didn't want to wait that long.

We are still in the process of picking out flooring. We know we want hardwood downstairs, except in the bathroom and kitchen, and carpet upstairs except the bathroom and laundry room. I prefer hardwood on the stairs and upstairs hallways but she thinks it should be carpet. We haven't decided on what color tile we want for the various rooms. We've picked out paint colors and appliances. and we have a double sized Lanai that is screened in, so that is really cool.

We went shopping last weekend and got some decorative stuff for the house so that was really fun and exciting.

So I would say yes we've gotten everything we've wanted.

Thanks for asking :sunny:

That is a nice area. We live in Jacksonville Fl and so we go down there a lot to relax and hit Bush Gardens. We are also huge Red Sox fans (may partner is origionally from RI) and so we go down to Tampa to watch the Red Sox play Tampa Bay. We bought a house together 2 years ago and we are still so happy and excited about it. Good luck and congrats

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter