• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has Covid-19 changed your way of thinking about budget or the way you live?

Do you live anywhere that has farmers/ranchers you know that may use molasses tubs? My uncle comes from a family of farmers/ranchers so they are easy to come by. I drill a few holes in the bottom and they work great for container veggies. I don’t know about cucumbers but where I am, zucchini and squash are the easiest things to grow.
Lowes has buckets you can buy that are the same size as molasses buckets. Very large with rope handles. Also, there is a youtube channel with an elderly man that shows how to build and grow in large buckets. His channel is called Gardening with Leon. He makes self wicking pots, which I built some last year and they worked so great. You could also google self wicking tubs to learn how to make them and grow in them. They do work great.

We went to disney the second week of March. We talked about it before we left... should we save this money? Of course at this time did not know how things would go. We are still very glad we spent the money. My DH was laid off right after the two weeks he had to spend at home for visting FL. We always buy extras along the way, extra can goods & other dry goods when they are on sale. We enjoy the time we are spending together. The only thing that has changed is not spending money on eating out and buying the kids sinceless junk.
We are working Door Dash together for now. I think even when this is over i really want to keep the trend not going out to dinner so much we spent $100 every week plus all the fast food.

I'm not shopping as much as before. Grocery shopping is strictly by the list, in and out of the store. All of my college classes are online so laundry is down to two loads a week. I can't get dirty or sweaty sitting in front of a computer during most of the day (maybe a bit dusty) so the wardrobe is one pair of comfy jogging pants and two tops a week. We still cook at home for 5 meals a week and do carry out to support the local restaurants two days a week. Except for the automatic payments, our AmEx and MC are really lower than before. All the spontaneous shopping has come to a screeching halt. I like that.

Saving LOTS of money on things we used to think were pretty important. Examples;
  • Eating out - was probably 4 days a week at >$50 each time. Now down to one and we look forward to it as a treat for the week (saving $150/week)
  • Gym membership - I had a really good deal on one and needed it for physical therapy from a back surgery. That was a year ago though - $25/month
  • Gas for 3 cars, 2 are plug-in-electrics we used daily, the third is a Subaru we used maybe 2 days of the week, savings $80/week
  • Chargepoint charges on one of the plug-in cars, $3/day
  • Snacks when we are out-and-about. Can only guess on what we were spending, say $10/day
Summing up just those things (probably more), $1417/month 😲

With all the refunds from my spring/summer travel, I've got more money on hand than I expected. I'm lucky enough to still be working and my SO always works from home. So budgeting is the same.

As for the way I live? We've taken social distancing very seriously and while I'm not thrilled about all the fun summer events getting cancelled, I also don't want to get sick or cause someone else to get sick or die. So I will take this time to catch up on my reading and do what I can to keep in touch with friends and family.

I started old vegetable seeds purchased during the last downturn in 2012 and stored in a refrigerator. I used the paper towel method and can’t believe that many of them are germinating! My husband and I really enjoyed potting up the sprouted seeds and we look forward to tending our first vegetable garden ever. It is nice to have something to look forward to since the things we used to love doing may not be possible this year.

What I think will change for me is having more things on hand at home - since the kids moved out over the past few years I had gotten into the habit of just having on hand what we needed and no more. I actually liked not having a packed pantry and a stash of paper towels and tp socked away. But I was also in purge mode and enjoying a slightly more spartan house! But now I think I will go back to keeping a few essentials, such as laundry & dishwasher soap, paper towels and tp, cleaning supplies - on hand in quantities larger than just enough for the next week!

One thing I had started just late last year was ordering online and picking up my groceries - what a huge difference in what I spent! Just removing myself physically from the store and not picking up any of the extras has started saving me a lot! Ironically in the past month I haven't been able to get a pick up time so I'm looking forward to being able to take advantage of that again.

Something that we enjoyed before Covid, and can't wait to get back to once things break free is travel. From big trips to weekend trips - we are itching to go somewhere - anywhere!

We do a garden every year, so this year is no different in that regard.

The pandemic has definitely changed my thoughts on being better prepared to handle a disruption to the food supply chain. It also has changed my thoughts on having a backup power source [generator] in the event of a electricity outage.

Having food in a freezer + losing your power unexpectedly = no supply

The other thing that DH and I discussed was where we want to be buried. We have a will, but we don't own a cemetery plot, nor have we really discussed where we want our final resting place to be. This pandemic has reinforced for me, that I need to think through this scenario sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Not a ton has changed for us, and we are grateful and blessed for that. We were at Disney late February through the first week of March, we were a little worried at the time about going but glad we went now. Obviously we know more about the virus now than we did then. Husband is still employed thank the Lord, I stay at home with the kids already. I homeschool our oldest, so the only change we have had is not being able to go to his homeschool group outings and co-ops that were twice a week. We ate out once a week, that has changed to zero. We aren't saving a ton more, and we still have a mortgage....so not debt free. We atleast no longer have student loans ( my husband had a small one, but mine was HUGE from a law degree I have never used😩.) Everyone stay safe and healthy!

Yes..... if it hasn't then I question the reasonableness of such a person. I've always been a 'prepared' sort, I can survive fine in power outages,I know how to find drinkable water, I keep a stock of food/necessities for a couple of weeks,I know how to DIY almost anything,I'm a gardener. All of this has made me stop and think,really think about stuff.
1) what is a necessity,and what were we spending $ on before all this? I had thought I was pretty frugal,this has shown me that I need to pay more attention. All this reminded me that I need,not just imagine, but NEED to be prepared for 6 months-1 year of layoffs,job slowing,anything.My spending is 100% on food/necessities of life and nothing else at the moment. And guess what I learned? I don't need anything else right now, in fact,I still have more than needed to live comfortably.
2) I NEED to be more self sufficient when possible. Why? Because I can. I am using certain skills that I had lazily let fall by the wayside..... I've restarted my veggie gardens again. They're small, but useful. After a few weeks of quarantine, I could see that certain things kept us running back to the store for more- lettuce and greens for one. (bc they expire fast) so now I have baby grrens and lettuces growing on my front porch. we add to our sandwiches etc daily. And it's 100% renewable,keeps on growing (with proper care) and no trips to store.

I am using this time as a learning experience for myself,since I have no choice but to stay at home.My goal (since I hate wearing a mask) is to go to store as little possible.
And this is a reminder to all of us that financially things can change in a flash.

This has made me think about the need to keep a larger savings account on hand. We have about nine months of bare bones expenses in a savings account. I always figured if I lost my job I'd get a nice severance package from my company and that plus the savings would be fine until I found something else. While I'm still working right now this made me realize there may not be much in the way of jobs to return to if I were to lose my job and I'd be happier with more liquid savings on hand. I am happy we have a reasonable house payment in low cost of living area and that we purchased a three year old car last year instead of new.

We rarely ate out - once or twice a year - unless we were on vacation. Now, we are trying to order out at least once a week to try to support our local restaurants. We had supplies of paper goods because I don't like shopping, so I usually stock up once every three or four months and we had just shopped in February. We were planning on selling our house and moving to the general Orlando/Davenport area. That is now on hold. We haven't been able to visit family (my 97 yr old mom) and friends and that is the biggest loss. Somehow standing in the yard and waving and saying "I love you from afar" is just not the same as a hug. But, when this is over, we will all appreciate things way more. (If we survive!)

I am trying to pay more towards my cards to show financial stability since during the housing mess they seemed to slam lower ceilings when I was being conservative, which ruined my scores indirectly. This time I sent everyone a little extra 2 weeks early and then did the regular pmt on time. I’m doing the same this month- time will tell if I learned a useful lesson back then or not. Since it seems all shopping is through credit now it’s important. I am buying way more groceries at one time.

Daydreaming about our next family trip, which depends on who I can trust with my families well being. I like that airlines are offering suspended penalties and all but I am waiting to see if anyone comes up with voluntary testing only flights, if not my husband might have some Griswalds roadtips in his future, even though he has been declaring it a “Never Will” up until now.

For gardens, I am pretty sure I saw a scene of a chef on Ugly Delicious pulling veggies out of a VERTICAL long pvc tube with holes to grow stuff. I seemed to work like those strawberry pots, only the holes were large enough to hold stuff like what looked to be pepper plants.

Last edited:
I am trying to pay more towards my cards to show financial stability since during the housing mess they seemed to slam lower ceilings when I was being conservative, which ruined my scores indirectly. This time I sent everyone a little extra 2 weeks early and then did the regular pmt on time. I’m doing the same this month- time will tell if I learned a useful lesson back then or not. Since it seems all shopping is through credit now it’s important. I am buying way more groceries at one time.

Daydreaming about our next family trip, which depends on who I can trust with my families well being. I like that airlines are offering suspended penalties and all but I am waiting to see if anyone comes up with voluntary testing only flights, if not my husband might have some Griswalds roadtips in his future, even though he has been declaring it a “Never Will” up until now.

For gardens, I am pretty sure I saw a scene of a chef on Ugly Delicious pulling veggies out of a long pvc tube with holes to grow stuff. I seemed to work like those strawberry pots, only the holes were large enough to hold stuff like what looked to be pepper plants.
I was planning a trip this past March to go visit my Dad. He lives in Washington state so we would’ve had to fly. For some reason the student loan my daughter was supposed to get for spring got denied at the last minute because she got the middle class income scholarship and it went over the cost🤷🏽‍♀️ She qualified for both first two year and this fall of junior year🤷🏽‍♀️. We were notified in late November and had to pay tuition beginning of December, 4 days to pay once she registered🤦🏽‍♀️ . Plus I was thinking of doing a 10 day Alaska cruise because prices were super cheap. Funny how things work out.

Next year we were planning on doing a trip to Hawaii for dd’s Graduation but I’m glad nothing had been paid for. The way things are going, I don’t want to travel until planes and cruises are throughly disinfected. Family safety first.

We had been shifting to a much more frugal mindset over the last year or more as it was, with the intention of eliminating all debt aside from the mortgage, and then moving on to aggressive savings. We are considering a rental property as well and trying to position ourselves for that. I run a home based child care business and Covid-19 meant I lost the vast majority of my income overnight. One of the children I watch is immune compromised and she and her brother are home with their parents now understandably. I don't know if or when they will be able to come back. She was already in the hospital twice this year for RSV and Strep. Her little lungs are no match for Covid-19. Quite quickly the order came down that I could not have any children in my care unless their parents are essential workers. So of the four children I watch, one is left, as his mom is a nurse. His days are reduced as his dad was laid off too. :worried:

I had no formal agreement in place for this situation and I should have. But I did not ever think I would see this type of thing so it never crossed my mind to have a pandemic clause. One family asked if they could continue to pay me 50% until they came back, one did not. That is where we stand. I went down to about 25% off my income.
This situation has resulted in a great deal of sadness and some soul searching. Thank goodness my husband makes a decent living with an excellent pension. I love what I do and I have been lucky to work with great families and wonderful children over the last 15 years. But this situation has pointed out I am just not protected at all if something happens. If I got cancer? Too bad for me. No benefits, no insurance, no sick pay .. the list goes on.
I will continue to provide care for the families I have if they can come back ,but once this group all transition to school I will be 50 and I've decided that will be the end for me. Right now I think rental property makes the most sense for us and I will take over the upkeep and management of those. Big changes for us. I am grateful for all that I have and this situation has made me refocus and do what I need to stay on track.

We had been shifting to a much more frugal mindset over the last year or more as it was, with the intention of eliminating all debt aside from the mortgage, and then moving on to aggressive savings. We are considering a rental property as well and trying to position ourselves for that. I run a home based child care business and Covid-19 meant I lost the vast majority of my income overnight. One of the children I watch is immune compromised and she and her brother are home with their parents now understandably. I don't know if or when they will be able to come back. She was already in the hospital twice this year for RSV and Strep. Her little lungs are no match for Covid-19. Quite quickly the order came down that I could not have any children in my care unless their parents are essential workers. So of the four children I watch, one is left, as his mom is a nurse. His days are reduced as his dad was laid off too. :worried:

I had no formal agreement in place for this situation and I should have. But I did not ever think I would see this type of thing so it never crossed my mind to have a pandemic clause. One family asked if they could continue to pay me 50% until they came back, one did not. That is where we stand. I went down to about 25% off my income.
This situation has resulted in a great deal of sadness and some soul searching. Thank goodness my husband makes a decent living with an excellent pension. I love what I do and I have been lucky to work with great families and wonderful children over the last 15 years. But this situation has pointed out I am just not protected at all if something happens. If I got cancer? Too bad for me. No benefits, no insurance, no sick pay .. the list goes on.
I will continue to provide care for the families I have if they can come back ,but once this group all transition to school I will be 50 and I've decided that will be the end for me. Right now I think rental property makes the most sense for us and I will take over the upkeep and management of those. Big changes for us. I am grateful for all that I have and this situation has made me refocus and do what I need to stay on track.
Many people get so comfortable and don’t think life can change over night. I’m naturally a worrier so I always think about tomorrow next week, next month ,next year etc. hubby always tells me everything is fine and not to worry.

They cut husbands hours in half. Luckily he still gets full paid. A co worker told him that the rumor is if this continues , the company will have to layoff workers. Hubby keeps a positive attitude and says he will be fine and won’t be laid off. I tell him he’s one-off the higher paid employees. He says he’s a hard worker and if they lay-off they’ll get rid of the laziest workers🤦🏽‍♀️. I tell him you never know so we need to be more prepared just Incase. He said he’s one of the guys with more skills and has been in different departments so if he has to go down in position he will. Hopefully his different skills will help him and that he’s a hard worker the company can depend on.

Good luck to you!

I think that lessons are being learned all over. Living debt free and saving money for your own future is key. Even though many say they are making CC payments on time, they are still paying interest and that is money lost that you will never get back or never have anything to show for it. Having no CC balance would be the ideal situation and using cash/debit for new purchases even more ideal. Even those with pensions, how safe and secure are they? Is the company funding them as they should or will they be solvent at some point in time? For retirement, it scares the heck out of me to think that I have all my eggs in one basket and that I don't really have much control over that basket. Too many stories of companies not funding pensions and the government has to step in and you get pennies on the dollar of what you were promised. This can happen to any company, big or small.

In my own case, we don't carry any CC debt at all and use CC's to buy everything for the points/rewards. We have 6 years left on a 15 year mortgage at 2.75%, I don't pay much extra to that as the rate is so low. Of our 3 cars, we have 1 car with a loan, paying $60 more a month on that to pay it off in the next few years. Outside of that, we put close to 30% of our take home pay into our own investments and both contribute over 15% of our pre-tax pay to 401K's. We also have set aside $100,000 in 529 plans for our kids as we have a HS Senior going off to college next year. Luckily for him, he has a full ride academic scholarship and will not be using much of any of his 529 funds. My story is to PAY YOURSELF FIRST every single paycheck. Prepare for the unexpected, prepare for living off 1 or no incomes, prepare for what you can't foresee and have your own safety net. Yes, this situation has hit us, but not as bad as others. Even so, we are preparing for long term recession/depression which may change all our lives going forward. Off my soap box

Honestly, I think we're headed for an economic collapse the likes of which we've never seen. I don't blame it on the virus. I blame it on the shutdown. The world economy cannot shut down for 6 weeks without collapse. That being said what's done is done, and now we have to deal with the consequences. I think a lot of people are going to go from worrying about vacations to worrying about putting food on the table. The layoffs and bankruptcies are just getting started.

If you ask me if this virus has changed my thinking the answer is no. It's really the government's actions that have changed my thinking. A month ago I was optimistic about the future and my kid's future. Fast forward a month and now I worry about financial collapse and the next world war.

This morning I planted 2 plum trees.

fair warning-when they start producing fruit get in the habit of picking up any that have fallen on the ground each day b/c if you live in an area that gets warm summers the fruit sits and ferments such that your yard will smell like bad wine. we had plum trees at one house and the birds would eat the fallen/fermented and end up drunkenly flying into our windows::yes::

gardening-if anyone wants to plant herbs consider using perennial herbs like sage, chives, mint and thyme as ground cover in existing flower beds. they will choke out the weeds and will regrow each year. for annuals (like basil) i plant new ones in an existing flower pot on my deck that has bulbs in it already-i get the bulb flowers for their lifespan and the benefit of fresh basil all summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter