has anyone tried an "afternoon break" in a resort lobby???

My issue is that this behavior is being planned. It isn't a situation where the child is so tuckered out, he falls asleep. It is that the parent realizes the child will be tired and need a break. So, instead of paying for the convenience of having a hotel close to the park, she is staying off site with the intention of just popping over to an air-conditioned lobby in a hotel they are not staying in to sleep on the couches. They are not talking about shopping or dining or anything else. Just sleeping in a hotel they are not paying for. This reminds me exactly of the homeless people who invade my city's downtown library in the winter. They make the plan to go there and sleep during the day. Are they asked to leave? No. It is a public space. Is that what the space was intended for? No. If it was, the designers would have filled the areas with cots, rather than couches or chairs. If the lobbies are consistently full of loiterers who are merely coming in from the parks for a nap, then don't you think Disney will eventually do away with the comfy furnishings? After all, most paying hotel guests could relax in their rooms, in the concierge lounge, or past the magic band scanners by the pool. And, most paying "resort hoppers" can relax in the restaurants. It is a nuisance and a disgrace.

I don't think I'd actually nap, but Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Lodge is quiet and beautiful and you have the added perk of being able to sit in a rocking chair and look out at the African animals on the Savannah.

I LOOOOVE Jambo regardless, but out on the "patio" in a rocking chair....nothing beats it!

If they would just put in the new ride I've been asking for for years, all this would be a moot point. I want "The Barcalounger Ride". You settle into a big comfy massaging lounge chair that takes you into a nice, cool dark place for, say, 30 minutes. Nothing whirls, nothing sings, nothing goes up and down. There are no chanting groups, no squealing children, no flash photography, no costumed characters. Just dark....and cool....and elevated feet. As a added benefit, cranky husbands are led to a sports bar for a quick brew and a glimpse of whatever sport is currently being played, and your children are whisked off by specially-trained and certified CM's for a Dole Whip and a hosing down. If you're lucky, you won't get them back until closing time. And no fast pass needed.......you just show up and they'll measure the sweat on your forehead and how tight you are clenching your teeth and let you in right away.

I would pay so much money for this!!

My issue is that this behavior is being planned. It isn't a situation where the child is so tuckered out, he falls asleep. It is that the parent realizes the child will be tired and need a break. So, instead of paying for the convenience of having a hotel close to the park, she is staying off site with the intention of just popping over to an air-conditioned lobby in a hotel they are not staying in to sleep on the couches. They are not talking about shopping or dining or anything else. Just sleeping in a hotel they are not paying for. This reminds me exactly of the homeless people who invade my city's downtown library in the winter. They make the plan to go there and sleep during the day. Are they asked to leave? No. It is a public space. Is that what the space was intended for? No. If it was, the designers would have filled the areas with cots, rather than couches or chairs. If the lobbies are consistently full of loiterers who are merely coming in from the parks for a nap, then don't you think Disney will eventually do away with the comfy furnishings? After all, most paying hotel guests could relax in their rooms, in the concierge lounge, or past the magic band scanners by the pool. And, most paying "resort hoppers" can relax in the restaurants. It is a nuisance and a disgrace.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. A kid who happens to fall asleep somewhere is different than one whose parents purposely take them to a fancy resort lobby for nap time. No rules are expressly broken and very few people will notice or care...but it seems really, really tacky to me. It would never cross my mind to do that, but different people have different values so whatever...

Last edited:
if you see a person sleeping in a chair in the lobby, how do you tell if they are "squatters" or simply someone with reservations at that hotel waiting for their room to be cleaned, waiting for their family at the snack bar, killing time between checkout and DME pickup, or any other number of things that could cause them to be cat-napping in a spot somewhere?
I saw some folks asleep in the Jambo lobby yesterday, but I'm pretty sure they were just waiting for their room.

We always stay on site, but mostly at OKW. We have been known to go the Crockets Tavern and have lunch, and sit on the porch in the rocking chairs and take a nap!..Sometimes the nap is intentional and sometimes not.

Sa la vie!

AKK

I think if someone really needs a nap, a place to lie down, freshen up...most people will just go back to their own room for a few hours, wherever that is. Personally I wouldn't find hanging about a hotel lobby that relaxing.

If this ever became a problem I think that would be up to the hotels to keep the lobbies for hotel guests only the same way they had to monitor some of the pools. Might be tricky though because of all of the ADR traffic at the deluxes.

This is just my personal opinion but we planned mid day breaks at our resort last year and scrapped them halfway through our trip because the kids weren't tired yet and the bus just took too long. Our best breaks were the days we rode the monorail and chilled at the resorts. We felt like the break had started as soon as we got on the monorail, as opposed to as soo. As we got off the bus. That being said, we have done only a few days in the park at a clip so we wanted to make use of some afternoon park time. I think if you are doing a longer trip and ares therefore taking a much longer break it's a different story.

ITA with this, which is why I always rent a car!

There is a quiet room near the food court at Beach Club that isn't the lobby and has a TV
I bet many chill and have a quiet time there

I have never paid enough attention to people in resort lobbies to notice if they are napping or not. Short of unpacking a pillow and sleeping bag, do your thing!

Exactly! People nod off in weird places all the time. I know I sure do. If you happen to get comfy in a chair in a hotel lobby and you nod off, no biggie! 8 year olds don't always need naps, sometimes they just need some downtime and a resort lobby is a perfect place for that.

We love to visit the different resorts and take in their unique ambiance, so on the days we do not plan to go back to our own resort for a full out nap, we try and visit a resort that is easy to get to from the park we are visiting. We grab a snack or drink from the resort and after a little exploring, DH and I find a quiet place to sit and rest while DS sits in his stroller and eats/rests/colors, etc. I personally need the down time away from the stimulation of the parks as much as any child! Usually after an hour, we are ready to get going again. If it were really crowded, we certainly would not take up a whole bench or couch for hours on end while others stood around. These little breaks over the years are what first prompted us to actually pay the higher price tag and stay at the deluxes. I think Disney knows that allowing other guests to visit is good advertising... at least it was for us!

We stay at OKW resort so unless you come in on resort bus,you have to show DVC membership card to get in.I guess you could come in on resort ferry boat from DTD. Really have not seen many folks taking naps or even sitting down. DW likes to sit in like library room to left of check-in.We come back for afternoon naps,DW likes to read book. I just people watch and then I take a short nap in chair most times. I have noticed most afternoons we are alone of maybe a few will come in and sit while someone checks in for family. We own membership 1/282 of 1 per cent of building 38. So monthly maintenance fees are still taken from my checking account and they are not cheap. Still if someone took a break in lobby, no big deal to me. I have bigger problems, where to eat,what park,what buy for friends back home,did I bring my test meter,insulin, way down the list right at bottom. Is someone taking break in lobby at OKW member or not. :):):) PS If you stay in building 38 be careful i do own 1/282 of one per cent.

Last edited:
I would never think twice about napping or seeing some one else dosing in a lobby. Mainly as I have done it myself due to being jet lagged and waiting for a room that isnt ready... the idea of though of planning etc... is a bit tacky; yet as a mom I can understand checking out my options.. and for me Disney resorts are part of the whole vacation destination thing. I do see a difference in paying to be at MK and taking a break at the CR vs. shopping in midtown mahattann and deciding to come in from off the street and nap at the Waldorf.

I think if the whole family was napping in the lobby it would be tacky (very tacky) but a sleeping child in a stroller while the parents take a break on a couch doesn't seem tacky to me....Planned or not. Just my honest opinion.

Having spent many stressful days with young kids I sometimes plan resting spots with the hopes they will conk out for a minute. I know I used to plan a trip on the railroad at MK for a few loops with the intention that the little one would take a short snooze....

Ok, it's one thing sitting there with your eyes closed, napping. But it is quite another LYING DOWN. I think it is terrible in the parks to take an entire bench to "nap" or rest or whatever you want to call it and jut as bad at any resort, regardless if you are staying there or not, child or adult. Very, very poor manners, and as a previous person said...tacky,tacky,tacky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter