has anyone tried an "afternoon break" in a resort lobby???

Related story... when I was a little tyke I was looking at the map of a local theme park we were going to and noticed all the restrooms.

Midday at the park, I asked my parents when we were going to the restroom because I wanted to take a nap.

We had a great afternoon break when we took the Monorail from MK to the Contemporary. It was hot, crowded and noisy in the park and we were tired and hungry after a long morning. The minute we stepped off the Monorail at the resort, we noticed it was incredibly cool and quiet there! The restrooms we almost empty. No lines for the toilets or crowds at the sinks. We went over to the quick service place for lunch. Again, no lines and plenty of empty tables. We took our time eating and then poked around the shops. We did find a nice area to sit down and rest for a bit. We mostly played around on our phones, although I do recall closing my eyes for a few minutes. We certainly didn't sprawl out and sleep, but we did relax. After another stop at the restrooms, we went back to the Monorail and returned to the park. Between the heat, the noise, and the masses of humanity, I don't know if I would have lasted the entire day in the park without having that break. We did buy a meal at the resort, so I think using the facilities and sitting down for a bit was not at all out of line.

I think it's totally fine to re-charge at a hotel lobby. By this I mean: walk around, check out the stores, order a bite to eat, get something to drink, or sit down for a bit on one of the comfy chairs or couches and take in the ambiance.

But, I definitely have a problem with laying on the couches. Ick. Think of all the stuff the bottom of your shoes touch in the course of one day. I don't want to sit on a couch after someone's had their shoes on the cushions or up against the armrest.

When we were at Starbucks in DL a few weeks back a mom let her toddler stand on the counter while she was ordering. In fact, I see kids standing and laying on seating areas in public all the time. Maybe I'm grossed out easily, but I don't think that the bottom of shoes belong on arm rests, seating areas, tables, etc.

Disney is a business establishment. Would I lay down and take a nap in a furniture store? How about in a restaurant? If Disney wanted to encourage people to take naps in the lobbies they would have put beds in them instead of furniture that's meant for sitting. (And, no, it's not OK to take a nap in a mattress store just because there are bed in there. :rotfl:) I figured it wouldn't be long until someone chimed in with that quip. :)

Um...sorry? o_O Not okay to agree with you? Alrighty then...

You can disagree with me all you want but you should take time to re read what I wrote and you wrote. It is essentially what you wrote. If you think what is ridiculous is my suggestion that they go back to their hotel to nap than you should be more clear. Whatever. I always stay onsite so I can go back to my room to relax whenever. It was just a suggestion.

You can disagree with me all you want but you should take time to re read what I wrote and you wrote. It is essentially what you wrote. If you think what is ridiculous is my suggestion that they go back to their hotel to nap than you should be more clear. Whatever. I always stay onsite so I can go back to my room to relax whenever. It was just a suggestion.

Thanks for the clarification. Yikes.

Last edited:
I think it's totally fine to re-charge at a hotel lobby. By this I mean: walk around, check out the stores, order a bite to eat, get something to drink, or sit down for a bit on one of the comfy chairs or couches and take in the ambiance.

But, I definitely have a problem with laying on the couches. Ick. Think of all the stuff the bottom of your shoes touch in the course of one day. I don't want to sit on a couch after someone's had their shoes on the cushions or up against the armrest.

When we were at Starbucks in DL a few weeks back a mom let her toddler stand on the counter while she was ordering. In fact, I see kids standing and laying on seating areas in public all the time. Maybe I'm grossed out easily, but I don't think that the bottom of shoes belong on arm rests, seating areas, tables, etc.

Disney is a business establishment. Would I lay down and take a nap in a furniture store? How about in a restaurant? If Disney wanted to encourage people to take naps in the lobbies they would have put beds in them instead of furniture that's meant for sitting. (And, no, it's not OK to take a nap in a mattress store just because there are bed in there. :rotfl:) I figured it wouldn't be long until someone chimed in with that quip. :)

Might not be ok, but I really did see an adult taking a nap in an IKEA store.

Didn't they just do something like this in DHS where the Jack Sparrow exhibit was?

At a recent Epcot Flower and Garden Festival, I saw people laying on the grass taking naps and taking it easy by the big grassy area close to the Festival Center. And, it was lots of folks, all spread out.

We took a ride on the monorail, then ice pops/dole whips and sat by the water at the Poly. Very relaxing. A good day.

That settles it. MK should open up a new land where we can rest. Design it with partly shaded area with benches, plenty of seating, spacious lawns, some trees to encourage songbirds, quite walkways. They could even call it by a restful name, something like Forest Lawn. :o Oh, sorry, that name is taken.

Don't forget the hammocks!

Might not be ok, but I really did see an adult taking a nap in an IKEA store.
I've seen people snoozing in furniture stores too. Saw grownups snoozing in an Embassy Suites lobby recently. I wouldn't recommend either, but I don't know that you'll be the butt of jokes or look THAT out of place if you go for it.

We've done it many times. It's nice to get a cool drink or snack and sit somewhere comfortable for a little while. We like the Polynesian Resort and the Swan or Dolphin best.

( ... And, no, it's not OK to take a nap in a mattress store just because there are bed in there. :rotfl:) I figured it wouldn't be long until someone chimed in with that quip. :)

Well ...

I was employed by a regional chain of sleep shops for fifteen years as a commissioned salesperson. And I certainly never discouraged those of my customers who included refreshing snoozes and/or robust snores in their shopping strategies. In large part because my customers most usually chose the very best/most expensive bed on the showroom floor for the experience. And, try though I did, I could never perfect a more persuasive selling point than an amazingly comfortable nap. In fact, upon request, I often dimmed the lighting and lowered the music volume in sections of the showroom just for those customers.

For instance:

One late afternoon in early December, two gentlemen arrived to choose a new mattress set for their mother's Christmas present. One of the two and I spent an hour or so doing that. The other young man stretched out on a very good king size and promply fell asleep. And when his brother and I had finished all of the paperwork for their mother's new queen bed he asked if it would be alright if he left the other behind while he finished some shopping close by.

When he returned two hours later and woke the sleeper, his brother sat up, grinned sheepishly, and asked which bed the shopper and I would like him to approve. And that spring the sleepy-head was back to buy the king. Because, he said, when he walked in that day, he and his wife (and often their toddler daughter) were sharing a queen size bed. And it seemed to him that he had slept so well while his brother shopped because he'd actually been able ... to stretch ... all the way ... out.

And then there was the lady who arrived each day - for eight days - pillow-in-arm to 'try' a row of beautiful beds. So, each afternoon I softened the lighting over them and woke her at the appointed hour. On that eighth day, she walked to where I was sitting and announced that she woould take ... that one. Complete with an adjustable base. And not once had I been permitted to describe the other-worldy wonders of the Tempurpedic that she purchased. Darn it!

Nor, regrettably, to attempt to cunningly nudge her from 'business norms' to 'social norms'. But that's another thread ... :)

Note: Our showroom models were all displayed with disposable head and foot protectors.

ETA: Several national/international hotel chains and prominent resorts now offer 'signature' lines of bedding at retail. I wonder why Disney doesn't? After all, what's a Main Street without at least one napper-friendly Dream Emporium!

Last edited:
When we stayed at the Grand I noticed that on the first floor there was a tv playing classic Disney cartoons that had pint size comfy chairs and sofas around it - I would imagine this was made for what you are referring to. We always stay on site and this would not bother me in the slightest - now if you were camped out outside of my room that would be a different story (lol). Seriously though, all the hotels have HUGE lobbies and what I would deem rest areas. If Disney and a problem with it they would police it in some way.

And if it is a hammock you are looking for the Dolphin has one down by their "beach." When we have stayed there my boys always make use of it.

The last time we ate at Whispering Canyon for breakfast I was stuffed! My wife and daughter went off somewhere while my son and I sat in the lobby. It was so comfy and cool. Next thing I knew my wife woke me up. If we didn't have anywhere else to go I would've stayed a lot longer. As I was drifting off I was just trying to make sure I was in a position that didn't cause me to drool.

I guess I just have been unlucky because all the good spots at the resorts to refresh are usually taken or have a lot of action going on (other visitors talking/laughing loud, kids running around, cellphone users) therefore I never considered them for down time. I think YMMV so my advice is to be open to the possibility that you might have to relax at the CS or in the form of window shopping because there isn't a guarantee you'll get the nice cozy secluded seats. At least there is still a/c! I hope you have a wonderful time.

If it is a small child snoozing, who cares? But it would be more restful in your room and easier on both of you to freshen up after coming in from the heat and after waking up. It would really depend on how the child would react to waking up in a public area with the noise and people looking.

Legitimate question... How exactly does Disney "encourage" it? Other than making a dining reservation at a resort hotel that requires a trip to that particular resort, how do they *encourage* people visiting resorts, sitting in the lobby and other public spaces. I'm not trying to be snarky... Just trying to understand how Disney is messaging this particular benefit to park guests.

We've relaxed in the WL lobby for a while before- just needed to sit and do nothing for a little bit and cool down. We browsed through the store later and bought a few things, so I can see where a situation like this is advantageous to the resorts.

i don't see anything wrong about a 8 year old laying down. I never saw the OP say THEY were laying down, just the kid.

I vote for the CR. I seen a couple of vloggers who have used that area with all the couches to shoot a vlog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter