Has anyone had a good experience at Chef Mickey's?

SusieBea

DIS Veteran
I made an ADR yesterday for breakfast at CM in May simply because I know our DGS4 will love the characters. (We've done most of the other character meals.) The last time we ate at CM's, it was located in DTD! Is it really that dirty and poorly serviced now? TIA

We went for dinner last May and will not be rushing to go back anytime soon. It wasn't dirty but it had food spilled everywhere and they didn't seem to bother picking it up. The food was blah to us but breakfast could be different. However if your DGS would love it for the characters, then I would go but not expect great good. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised!

We LOVE Chef Mickey's breakfast & go every trip. We usualy go on a MK early EMH morning. We'll have a last seating for breakfast (10:30 or 11:00). We head to MK for openning, spend a few hours then take the monorail over to CM. We've done this 3 times & it's been great every time. It's not too crowded & the characters aren't rushed & really spend time with the kids. The food is good. It's my picky 12 year olds favorite meal of the trip. I suggested skipping it next time (just to try something different) but all 3 boys insist we go. I've never seen it messy there.

We went for dinner last May and will not be rushing to go back anytime soon. It wasn't dirty but it had food spilled everywhere and they didn't seem to bother picking it up. The food was blah to us but breakfast could be different. However if your DGS would love it for the characters, then I would go but not expect great good. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised!

I have to tell you this is what happened to us at Capt. Jack's in January. We went there simply because it was the only place that could seat 9 of us that evening. The reviews are probably the worst of any place on property. But we went and had a great meal. The setting, of course, was lovely. But the food and service were surprisingly good as well. As you say, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised w/ CM's, too.

I am not a Chef Mickeys fan. The several times we have been, the food was passable at best, but DH and I really dislike buffets. We've gone for the kids and the character interaction. The kids have always had a ball and enjoyed the hoopla! We're going this time around for my niece as she's never experienced a character meal before, even though she will be 15! So, we'll grin and bare it, with no disappointments as we know good and well what were in for!

We love cm and go every year for breakfast. I know a lot of people say they don't like it but, if it was really that bad it would be easier to get in. Go and have fun!:)

We have never tried it for breakfast, but 5 out of 6 times we have been for dinner it has been great! The food is...acceptable to pretty good most of the time (we always leave full, anyway, there's always something we enjoy), but that's not why we go. We love the atmosphere inside the CR tower with the view of the monorail overhead, and the character interaction has always been great. There's something about being there on our first night of vacation that really gets us in the mood for Disney, without having to enter a park.

That said, once we are on vacation already, and have been to the parks and spotted characters out and about, I doubt it would have the same meaningful impact, if that makes sense. I recommend it for a first breakfast or dinner, if that works for your schedule.

We ate breakfast there in September and had a good experience. Didn't see any issues with cleanliness. As far as service, it was just fine, what we usually get at buffets. DS wanted an omelette and the server offered to have him one made in the kitchen. While I think it is way overpriced, the food and service are just fine. And the characters are lots of fun!

We ate breakfast there in early Nov. and had a good experience. Yes, for a buffet it's outrageously overpriced, but we knew that when we made the reservation. My boys loved seeing all the characters and for our family it was worth the $ to sit and eat while waiting for the characters to visit us instead of waisting time in the parks standing in line for a picture with the same characters. The buffet was clean and fully stocked while we were there and the service was what you would expect at Disney. We will be going back again this year because the boys are still raving about it.

I was there last year for dinner and we all had a great time and enjoyed it.

I have heard many people rave about the Crystal Palace, but we found that dirty and gross. Of course, we went later, at a very busy time.

But here is the trick I've learned about buffet-eating. Get an early reservation! Like, the minute it opens! The later you go, the dirtier and more disappointing it will be.

We went to Chef Mickey's for the first time this past October on our Honeymoon because I wanted a Character Dinner with Mickey and the Gang. I wasn't blown away by it, but we had a good time interacting with the characters. The food was okay. I've had better buffetts (Hollywood and Vine is my fave) but Mickey and Friends didn't Rush, they stopped at each table for a few minutes and it was all around pretty okay. Would I go back. Sure If I was on the dining plan, would I pay out of pocket for it? Probably not as the food wasn't stellar but just decent and it's really expensive. I think $60 per adult + tip and drink. So I'd say give it a shot. See for yourself how you like it and if you don't love it at least you'll have a fun charater breakfast or dinner to look forward too.

Whenever we go, we make it a point to have breakfast there. We have fun at this character breakfast and have not had any issues with it. Try it and see :)

Chef Mickey's is definitely on my "only when a travelmate insists" list.
And generally, in the past few years, when that has happened and we go, they end up feeling underwhelmed by it.

The food is buffet standard, not bad, not great. I say it's a bad sign when someone asks you what's good, and the only answer is "the mashed potatoes."

The whole place is tired, and rightfully so since it remains so overhyped and constantly at capacity. The service staff probably try their best to stay positive and helpful, but generally are forgettable or downright bad. The restaurant itself has that overworked, needs refreshing feel which can make it seem dirty. And parts of it are downright filthy, not just run-down, including the serving line which seems always to have caked-on food on it and various parts of the walls, floors, and chairs which bear perpetual handprints and dried-on food as well.

That being said, to the OP - a 4-year-old isn't going to notice any of this, just that Mickey and his other buddies are there to hug and wave at.

Probably not as the food wasn't stellar but just decent and it's really expensive. I think $60 per adult + tip and drink.

Just to be clear for those not accustomed to Disney dining: standard non-alcoholic beverages such as soft drinks, tea, and coffee are included in the price of the meal as posted at buffet locations and are not an additional charge. Alcohol, where available in a buffet restaurant, is charged separately.

Really enjoyed Chef Mickeys- had a late 8:45 pm ADR. It was clean & the food was pretty good. Only thing is to ask for the main room. We asked very nicely and they put us there. Side rooms are not fun at all.

Did not have breakfast there.

Your Child will love it!! Just don't set your hopes to high on the food, it's going to be like any other buffet. We go every trip for breakfast, we have enjoyed it everytime. The food everytime was okay, normal buffet food. We have found it clean but loud (which is to be expected).

But here is the trick I've learned about buffet-eating. Get an early reservation! Like, the minute it opens! The later you go, the dirtier and more disappointing it will be.

I second this. We always go at opening. It is cleaner, the food is hot, the servers and characters usually have a lot more energy, and no little hands in the food.

I think you will enjoy it. Don't expect a 5 star restaurant. We did this one last and the only reason it was our least favorite was the selection, and we went a little later. We had done a number of the character meals before and we happen to be fruit, crepe, blinze, etc. people. Have fun.

We went for our first time in December. We had a ADR pretty soon after they opened for breakfast.

I loved it! The food was good & the characters awesome.

I liked it better than Crystal Palace.

It is on our next trip repeat list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter