Has anyone flown Air New Zealand Skycouch?

dabecs

WDW 2012, WDW 2014, DL 2017!
I have booked skycouch on our return trip to LA next year and it's hard to find many reviews etc online, I was wondering if anyone on here had ever used it?

I'm wondering about any tips or tricks or anything you think made your flight better/worse on skycouch. And if you had adults/kids and what positions you found worked. And how many people you had on your couch...

Thanks!

We have used the skycouches twice. 2 adults, 2 teenagers. The first time my husband & I shared (3 seats between the 2 of us) and our teenagers shared the other one. My husband lay down and slept quite well. I lay for a while but was a bit uncomfortable and found lying made me feel motion sick. The 2nd time I shared with my daughter & that was much more comfortable as I had more space and I sat with my legs stretched out.
I would always take the aisle as it is quite difficult to get out to use the bathroom if you are by the window - the foot rests lift up so your feet aren't on the floor - you end up climbing over the other person. I think they make the flight more comfortable as you can spread out, even if you don't lie down. Everyone in our group got some sleep which is unusual - my husband & son don't usually sleep well on flights.

Our first California visit was on a skycouch but was Mrs McN with 2 kids, who were 4 & 7 at the time. It kinda worked just, the kids were small enough. I had my own seat across the aisle so was quite happy...

Spread across two people would give you a nice amount of personal space but not sure how you would go lying down.

We haven't bothered with subsequent visits, just stuck with regular seats. We all flew Hawaiian recently to NYC - have a new appreciation for the quality of AirNZ after this.

Thanks for the feedback:)

NZMUM - I thought exactly the same, even if you don't lie down it gives you extra space which is always a good thing! Thanks for the tip about the aisle, I'll stick our kids on the window side because they are much more agile at climbing!

McNs - I think it would work well for little kids because they could sit with their legs stretched out rather than dangling over the seat. Our last trip we flew United (never again) on the way there and Air NZ on the way back. Air NZ had much better food and service which one of the reasons we thought we would fly them this time. Skycouch was an extra I couldn't miss trying.

We have booked 2 couches for the 4 of us so it will be an adult and a child in each row. It means even if we can't lie down and sleep we can at least spread out and I hope I can put my legs up because I usually leave the plane without ankles!

I like the option of tilting the footrest so even sitting up you can have your legs raised a bit, did either of you use that feature? And what was the topper/pillows/blanket like?

Thanks for the feedback:)

NZMUM - I thought exactly the same, even if you don't lie down it gives you extra space which is always a good thing! Thanks for the tip about the aisle, I'll stick our kids on the window side because they are much more agile at climbing!

McNs - I think it would work well for little kids because they could sit with their legs stretched out rather than dangling over the seat. Our last trip we flew United (never again) on the way there and Air NZ on the way back. Air NZ had much better food and service which one of the reasons we thought we would fly them this time. Skycouch was an extra I couldn't miss trying.

We have booked 2 couches for the 4 of us so it will be an adult and a child in each row. It means even if we can't lie down and sleep we can at least spread out and I hope I can put my legs up because I usually leave the plane without ankles!

I like the option of tilting the footrest so even sitting up you can have your legs raised a bit, did either of you use that feature? And what was the topper/pillows/blanket like?
I have had the footrest raised a little and had it completely raised so it's even with the seat (which makes it the couch). I thought slightly raised was very comfortable. You just move it about until you find the most comfortable position for your legs. If your kids lie with their feet against the back of the seat you would be able to have your legs stretched out & up on the outside of them. The topper is used to cover the seats. The pillows were quite good. Better than what they usually give you. Not full sized but still comfortable. And the blankets were nice too - again better than what you usually get.

NZMUM - glad to hear the pillows and blanket were a bit nicer, all of those little things can add up to make a better overall experience.

I just received an email telling me there had been a slight time change in my flight - the flight will be leaving LAX at the same time but will be arriving in AKL 5 minutes earlier. How they decided on that change 5 months out is beyond me :rotfl2:

Always been tempted - just for stretching legs out but agree fully lying down think I'll feel icky. Interesting to hear experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter