Has anyone eaten Gluten Free in the parks recently?

DD(5) and DS(9) are both Celiac and I second both of these. :thumbsup2 We did BB for DS's birthday and he had gluten free pasta. We did have to discuss and order with the manager because there wasn't anything on the kids menu that he could have (I realize you won't be eating off the kids menu, but just for reference...) We had no issues at all with having something put together for him. And he was really excited that he could have the rolls. They did bring them the veggies, but told them that the ranch dressing was not GF. Interesting because my DD had just had it the day before at AG where they said it was ok. So, be sure you question it if you get the ranch (not sure who was right).

And those brownies ARE really good. We did a tour and since they couldn't confirm that the treat was GF, they gave us coupons for all of the kids to get the GF brownies and my non-Celiac DS(7) gobbled his up as well.

So wonderful to hear! I'm planning the trip as a surprise for her and she's always stared longingly at BB as we sail by on Pirates. I've booked us in for the first time slot of the day and planning on going early to request waterside. She'll be thrilled that she can even have the bread service!

Thanks for the great news about BB!

Awesome! Thanks so much. I was on that thread 2 years ago and it was outdated then so I took a look and decided to start a new one to see if any one had recent experience. I like the lists on the OP of that old thread through - feels like it at least gives me a starting place.

Wow, what a week of eating our way through Disney! Both my DW and DDIL were spoiled rotten with the food and menu choices from the many resort eating establishments. Not once did they have to resort to the standby "salad"

Several tips:

If you have an iphone, download an app called "Gluten Free Disney Dining", it was an amazing resource for us during our stay in Disney. I think it costs $1.99, but well worth it.

With specialty dining, always indicate, when you book, that one or more of the guests have a food allergy. You will get a visit from the chef on duty and they will go through your options.

When you want a quick service, tell the server that you "have an allergy", they (for some odd reason) do not understand the words Gluten Free or Celiac. But every single one of them instantly responds to the word "Allergy", and they will always go to get a cook.

The GF buns, for hamburgers, and hot dogs are very, very good.

Breakfast brunches - we did the Character breakfast at the Plaza Inn for breakfast. The chef came out and made special breakfasts for both of the ladies. They had Waffles, eggs, bacon, hash browns, fruit, and some amazing sauces for the waffles. Word of caution, DO NOT get bacon from the buffet line, as they lay the bacon on bread while it is awaiting to be served (takes to oil off the bacon easier).

Tortilla Jo's (DTD) it seemed that almost the entire menu was GF. We ate like little piggy's there.

Wine Country - some very nice pasta dishes, and the deserts can be made GF.

Ariel's Grotto - lots of choices here, we all had the lobster and tri-tip steaks. The GF brownies were heavenly, I wish I had that vs the regular dessert.

Big Thunder BBQ - lots of choices here, chicken, ribs, sausage, Corn on the cob.

Jolly Holiday cafe - the GF buns for the sandwiches are outstanding. DW had the Waldorf Chicken sandwich, and it was amazing.... They had a selection of GF desserts as well.

Several no go's.... La Brea Bakery, Wentzles Pretzels, Corn Dog Castle.

Interesting side note... DW had a Sourdough bread bowl at the Pacific Wharf Cafe, and had no issues from the meal. She did some research and apparently the Sourdough mix does something to the gluten to make is less harmful. She did take her medication, but she had none of her usual reactions to bread products. (I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TESTING THE THEORY LIKE SHE DID)

We just came back from our first trip with someone who is GF. We had very positive experiences. She was over the top excited with some of her meals. At Cafe Orleans, she couldn't have her favorite Pommes Frites due to cross contamination, but she was able to have her choice of several items. We dined at Steakhouse 55 for dinner. Chef Marcel came out and went over the menu with her. He made her a soup using rice noodles, explained the options (she had salmon and asperagus) and then for dessert, he had a GF brownie topped with chocolate sorbet for her. She proclaimed it the best meal ever, GF or not.

We had also attended the Oktoberfest meal for Club 33, and chef Sutton was there grilling brats, and he went over the entire buffet explaining what she could and couldn't have. He even took time to grill a couple items that were finished in sauce to give her clean items (no sauce.)

We love Disneyland for GF dining. Jolly Holiday has GF grilled cheese and tomato soup, just ask. The GF mickey shaped waffles at the character breakfast were good. As mentioned before, a chef will come talk to you before you order. We also second the brownies! If you make a reservation just let them know. Just about everywhere you go there are options you just need to ask.

We were there about a year ago and since my wife is Celiac, everything was strictly g-f. As everyone has mentioned, DL and DCA are great for this. I will add that the chef at BB mentioned that they can prepare a GF Monte Cristo sandwich, but need a few hours lead time. If we had called that morning, he would have had it ready (apparently they never got the note on our reservation). Oh and avoid Trader Sam's, they were the only place who had no idea what gluten was!

We were there about a year ago and since my wife is Celiac, everything was strictly g-f. As everyone has mentioned, DL and DCA are great for this. I will add that the chef at BB mentioned that they can prepare a GF Monte Cristo sandwich, but need a few hours lead time. If we had called that morning, he would have had it ready (apparently they never got the note on our reservation). Oh and avoid Trader Sam's, they were the only place who had no idea what gluten was!

Oh- that sounds amazing! My sister is GF and lactose intolerant, I wonder if they'd do a GF no cheese version Monte Cristo, we'll have to ask next time we're there she'd love that. Thanks for sharing this tidbit!

Wonderful! THank you. TOo bad about Trader Sam's…I like having a drink in there but there will be apparently no snacks. I really appreciate head's-up on that one.

Great counter service places to go: Jolly Holiday, Village Haus, Pizza Port, Boardwalk Pizza

I will be trying out the Storyteller Cafe for dinner on Friday and can report back on that one.

Great counter service places to go: Jolly Holiday, Village Haus, Pizza Port, Boardwalk Pizza

I will be trying out the Storyteller Cafe for dinner on Friday and can report back on that one.

Agreed. GF dedicated french fries and super yummy GF buns for the burgers. I've gotten the GF FF/Burger combo at: Carnation Cafe, Hungry Bear, Taste Pilot, Village Haus and GF pizza at Boardwalk Pizza.

Also, Coke Corner has GF hot dog buns so you can enjoy a dog and listen to the piano player on the patio!

Carnation Cafe is great for GF - besides the burger/fries I've had some really good GF apple pancakes there. It's a GF take on the apple oatmeal pancakes they serve there.

Surf's Up and Goofy's Kitchen made some great GF Mickey Waffles and pancakes - just ask your server or go up to the counter and tell one of the omelet chefs and they'll get the chef for you.

I would, if possible, avoid Flo's. They have GF options, but it's basically only taking away the only yummy parts of the meal (the BBQ sauce) and leaving you with the iffy meat and a semi-edible side. Flo's was one of the worst meals we had on property (even my non GF family disliked theirs).

And I'm sure you already know this, but, of course, the amazing DOLE WHIP is GF!!

We were there in September (we were actually there the day you posted this thread :laughing:) and they were extremely cautious about my youngest son's food, once I alerted the server that he had a gluten allergy, and chef was dispatched to come out and speak with us. At Carnation Cafe, they even went so far as to bring in french fries from another restaurant in the park, because that restaurant had a dedicated GF fryer and CC did not. We experienced that same level of care at all QS and TS locations. :thumbsup2

This thread has been so helpful! This will be my first trip to DL since I was diagnosed with my gluten intolerance. I was accidentally glutened at Tokyo Disneyland, so I'm a bit nervous!

Does anyone know if they will do the gf monte cristo at Cafe Orleans? We have reservations there our first day in the park, so if they do I'll stop by and request it that morning.

This thread has been so helpful! This will be my first trip to DL since I was diagnosed with my gluten intolerance. I was accidentally glutened at Tokyo Disneyland, so I'm a bit nervous!

Does anyone know if they will do the gf monte cristo at Cafe Orleans? We have reservations there our first day in the park, so if they do I'll stop by and request it that morning.

I don't think so because they don't have a dedicated GF fryer. I only know that because the server pointed out that my son shouldn't share our pomme frites as they were cross contaminated.

We were there in September (we were actually there the day you posted this thread :laughing:) and they were extremely cautious about my youngest son's food, once I alerted the server that he had a gluten allergy, and chef was dispatched to come out and speak with us. At Carnation Cafe, they even went so far as to bring in french fries from another restaurant in the park, because that restaurant had a dedicated GF fryer and CC did not. We experienced that same level of care at all QS and TS locations. :thumbsup2

Do you mind me asking what they had GF at Carnation? I love it there but wasn't sure what they had that my daughter could eat. I could live on potato soup and fried pickles - neither of which my DD could have so was wondering what they did have…

Do you mind me asking what they had GF at Carnation? I love it there but wasn't sure what they had that my daughter could eat. I could live on potato soup and fried pickles - neither of which my DD could have so was wondering what they did have…

At Carnation my GF kiddo had a burger with a GF bun and they had a server run to another restaurant in the park (they didn't tell me which one) to get an order of fries from a dedicated GF fryer! Of course, he's so used to avoiding bread at restaurants that he now prefers to eat his burgers bunless, so I couldn't tell you whether or not he liked the bun, but he loved the burger patty and the fries! lol

All these were from yesterday, so info is current.

Carnation Cafe breakfast: Chef Oscar said anything from the menu (sans the granola parfait) can be made gluten free. They have the mix to make GF pancakes and waffles and use a dedicated waffle maker. I had the waffles without topping and they brought me 4 mini Mickey waffles. Tasted great and was the perfect amount.

Jolly Holiday: Any sandwich can be made GF with GF buns. Friend said the turkey sandwich was great, with real turkey, not just sandwich meat. Chips are already GF.

Lucky Fortune Cookery: Any rice bowl can be made GF, as they now have GF teriyaki sauce and it was wonderful! This was my favorite place to get lunch before going GF, and I'm so glad I can go back now.

Storyteller Cafe: Didn't inquire about the buffet, so no idea on that one. The chef came out and asked what I was interested in, instead of telling me what they had available. I ended up getting the spaghetti, which is made with rice noodles, and it tasted great.

Thanks to everyone for posting information in this thread. I may have Hashimoto's and have been trying to cut out gluten. I was afraid my upcoming Disney vacation would be impossible to avoid the stuff, but now I know there are options! :goodvibes Thanks everyone!

All these were from yesterday, so info is current. Carnation Cafe breakfast: Chef Oscar said anything from the menu (sans the granola parfait) can be made gluten free. They have the mix to make GF pancakes and waffles and use a dedicated waffle maker. I had the waffles without topping and they brought me 4 mini Mickey waffles. Tasted great and was the perfect amount. Jolly Holiday: Any sandwich can be made GF with GF buns. Friend said the turkey sandwich was great, with real turkey, not just sandwich meat. Chips are already GF. Lucky Fortune Cookery: Any rice bowl can be made GF, as they now have GF teriyaki sauce and it was wonderful! This was my favorite place to get lunch before going GF, and I'm so glad I can go back now. Storyteller Cafe: Didn't inquire about the buffet, so no idea on that one. The chef came out and asked what I was interested in, instead of telling me what they had available. I ended up getting the spaghetti, which is made with rice noodles, and it tasted great.

Dd8 is so excited (& so am I) to hear we can get GF teriyaki bowls in DCA! I know where we're eating on our next trip to DLR :)

Thank you sooooo much for the recent reports everyone! It really helps having some sort of game plan.

We are going to DLR in just over 6 weeks :)

Has anyone had GF pancakes at Riverbelle Terrace? Was just checking out their breakfast menu, and it looks like it could make our whole family happy, IF we can get something GF besides eggs :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter