Has anyone cut down their Magic Band strap?

halssister

Mouseketeer
Just received our MagicBands in the mail today :banana: So exciting!!
But, I do have a slight problem.
I have "small-ish" wrists, but apparently not small enough. My band seems to fit best on either the largest hole of the "small" size, or the smallest hole of the "large" size. I don't want to tear it off and make it a "small" band, because I'm afraid that after walking around in the park all day, it will get too tight as I swell and sweat and get sticky, and be totally uncomfortable. But there is just too much extra band on it for me to wrap around and wear it as the "large" size......it is horribly stiff and uncomfortable like that, too.
Has anyone tried cutting off some of the extra band to make theirs smaller? I hesitate a little only because I don't know if the edge that I cut will end up feeling sort of rough on my wrist or something. But I just can't imagine wearing it all day in the heat with that much extra band wrapped around my wrist. And it turns out that my son's wrist is the same size and has the same problem? Anyone else deal with this?

Yes, I cut off 4 or 5 "holes" to make it less bulky. Just use a sharp scissor. If there are any sharp bumps afterwards, you can use an emery board to smooth them out. Works fine!

I cut some off mine. I fit the same holes you do. The extra strap was uncomfortable on my wrist so I cut some off and tried my best to round out the edges. It didn't look as pretty but nobody was going to see that end anyways. I'll be altering the one for my October trip once I get it

I tear mine off and make it the small kid's size band. I use the last hole on the small band. It is way less bulky and thick on your wrist. It also fits better next to my watch. I wore the regular size magic band the first few trips, but after making one smaller on a prior trip, there is no going back :)

I also worried about my wrist swelling and the magic band not fitting anymore. Has not been a problem, even with the summer heat. The magic bands seem to stretch out a bit after wearing them a few days, so that also gives you some extra room.

I cut mine and used some sand paper that we had laying around the house to smooth the edges. I don't think my wrist swelled but it was nice to adjust the band since I don't usually wear something that bulky on my wrist.

I wear the little kid size and it is great. You really get so used to it, and don't notice it, because it is so lightweight. I recommend going ahead and tearing the extra bulk off. If you do find your wrist swells and it feels tight or uncomfortable, you could wear it in a belt loop, on a purse or backpack or fanny pack strap, or anything similar. The resort has extra grey bands for people that don't get them in time. If you tear it off, and really do find you want the larger after all, and it doesn't do to carry it in some other way, you could probably get a new grey one at the front desk. They would need to activitate it.

Thank you everyone for your experiences! I think I'm going to go ahead and cut it down, and if it feels ok, probably cut down DS's too. He may not end up wearing his (he has autism and has a hard time with things on his wrist, so I knew there was a chance I would end up wearing his on my other hand anyway!)......but I definitely know that he will never be willing to wear it unless I make the band smaller!
:)

I have cut mine as well and put a bandaid (also cut) on the end. I also put a small piece of mole skin under the band where the name is. Easy enough to pull back if someone needs to read the numbers on it.

Someone once suggested wearing a Magic Band on a lanyard. I tried that, but found it banged against me when I walked.

My wrist is quite small. I haven't cut mine, but I do wear it an a dangle. That way I don't sweat under it.

Plenty have trimmed it. Many have used a strong nail file to soften the edges.

I have cut mine as well and put a bandaid (also cut) on the end. I also put a small piece of mole skin under the band where the name is. Easy enough to pull back if someone needs to read the numbers on it.

Why would anyone need to read the numbers?

For sweating, the "cover bands" are made of a sort of swimsuit fabric, and are quite nice. They don't let the sweat build up.

I would tear off the outer portion and make it the kid's size. This was included on our instructions a few years ago. Hope this helps - no need to cut.

If there is a magic band issue the CM will ask you to read them the numbers as they check for the correct magic band on their computer screen. If you have a lot of bands it takes a while to find the right one so they do need the number.

I cut off everything after the first two holes on the grey. I can never cut an even curve so it looks stupid, but no one sees it and it's much more comfortable. You can use an emery board or sandpaper to smooth it out, but I've never needed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter