• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Handicapped stall etiquette

How should handicapped stalls in bathrooms be utilized?

• HC stalls are like HC parking spaces - leave them open in case someone who needs them shows up

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They can be used by anyone, any time but are equipped to make life easier for those who need them

Votes: 108 37.4%
  • You can use a HC stall but is someone in a wheelchair is around leave it available

Votes: 166 57.4%
  • Other, because there has to be and other

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
I typically leave it for someone who might need it. Especially at Disney, you never know when a mom with child(ren) needs it for whatever reason.
However, I have used one very late at night when noone was around. :eek:

Being in a wheelchair does not give you front of the line access. You have no idea what kind of issues or disabilities a person in front of you has that may require them to use the handicap stall.
If you are the type of person who just feels entitled to push your way past people then you are rude, plain and simple. Your wheelchair does not justify rude behavior, it just doesn't.
If you feel it's an emergency that you go in front of people, be courteous and ask people if they mind, is it really that hard? I'm sure if you were polite about it nobody would care, but if you rush past them because you feel your needs are more important than theirs then you are going to be seen as a jerk and rightfully so.

I voted "other."

For example, if there's no one waiting and all the stalls except the handicap one are occupied and I know my time in the stall is going to be pretty darn quick, then I'll use it.

If I'm desperate and the HC stall is the only one that's available and there's someone who needs it who's behind me in line, then I would ask them if it's okay. Because maybe they're desperate too and they don't have a choice of stalls. But if they're not desperate and don't mind, then I'd use the stall.

What if the HC stall is the only one in the restroom that's clean? Then I'd use it. This isn't often the case at WDW, but it could happen.

I think there are so many different situations that it's impossible to make a blanket answer about this except to say be kind and be respectful of others.

I'm a guy. I'll just use the bushes. o_O :P

In reality, I'm with most others. If it's wide open and nobody else is around, I'll use it...but as quick as I can just in case someone who may need it can have it.

Exactly, which is why someone in a wheelchair is no more important than all the other people ahead of them in line.
I mean, on a technicality you're not wrong. There is no law requiring preferential treatment for handicap people with regards to handicap accessible stalls. I think after everyone saw what a legal hassle setting up the whole parking spaces thing turned out to be they were happy to leave the bathroom issue up to social custom.

Being in a wheelchair does not give you front of the line access. You have no idea what kind of issues or disabilities a person in front of you has that may require them to use the handicap stall.
Perhaps it's a generational or a local norm. I really can't find anyone opposed to letting a handicap person in need have next in line access to the handicap stall. When I lived in Wisconsin I would regularly see people waiting for a stall and ignoring an empty HA stall.

I would say that one should offer as much tolerance and accommodation to the disabled as they would hope to receive themselves if their situation were to take a foul turn.

Perhaps it's a generational or a local norm. I really can't find anyone opposed to letting a handicap person in need have next in line access to the handicap stall. When I lived in Wisconsin I would regularly see people waiting for a stall and ignoring an empty HA stall.
I think the point being made is not everyone who needs the handicap accessible stall looks like it. I'm positive on a personal note that if a person in a wheelchair was behind me and there was a handicap accessible stall even in the restroom I would say they are more than welcome to go in front of me..should I be the next in line because I'm not going to speak for everyone else.

But to bypass a line of people? Totally not the same thing. My mom wouldn't have appreciated that either with her situation I described especially just after her surgery.

I mean, on a technicality you're not wrong. There is no law requiring preferential treatment for handicap people with regards to handicap accessible stalls. I think after everyone saw what a legal hassle setting up the whole parking spaces thing turned out to be they were happy to leave the bathroom issue up to social custom.

I would say that one should offer as much tolerance and accommodation to the disabled as they would hope to receive themselves if their situation were to take a foul turn.
I've lived in WI for 45 years. I've never seen anyone ignore an empty HA stall.

I think the bolded part of your post is correct, but the issue is that being "handicapped" or needing the "handicapped" stall does not only apply to people in wheelchairs. There may be elderly or people with other mobility issues who can only use the handicapped stall (need grab bars and taller toilet) standing in the line. Now they are made to wait even longer by the person who just skipped in front of everyone else. My mom has severe health issues and usually uses a scooter or wheelchair, but she can stand and use a cane so she often leaves it outside with my dad so she can take up less room and maneuver more easily in the bathroom. It's difficult and uncomfortable for her to stand, so someone skipping ahead with a wheelchair is very inconsiderate.

I certainly do not mind if a person in a wheelchair or with a disability goes ahead of me. If it's something noticeable, I will always offer (just like I often do with small children who may need the toilet more urgently than I do). But, it's rude for the person to just push ahead of everyone else without any consideration. A quick "excuse me, but does anyone else in line need to use the handicapped stall? If not, mind if I go ahead?" is all that's needed.

My post that you quoted wasn't about not accommodating disabled people, it was about not tolerating rudeness.

I think the bolded part of your post is correct, but the issue is that being "handicapped" or needing the "handicapped" stall does not only apply to people in wheelchairs.
I was responding, particularly, with people who suggested that handicapped people should have to wait in line like everyone else.
For example:
  • She should have waited her turn for the stall, just like everyone else in front of her had to wait. Her need is no more urgent than anyone else's in line.
  • in a wheelchair is no more important than all the other people ahead of them in line.
And it sortof makes sense. Like how just being in a wheelchair doesn't get you next-in-line access to rides and attractions because you can just wait in the queue like everyone else. But unlike most lines at Disney, a handicapped person (of any strip) is waiting in line at the bathroom for a shot at one out of the five stalls. It seems cruel to make them wait in the line meant for all stalls.

Entitlement culture. Like the rude people on scooters at the parks. Not everyone. But many of them seem to feel privileged to manoever their scooters in whichever way they wish.

Entitled disabled people and people gaming the system to get a better wait time at the toilet ~are~ a real thing and at the very least they make a great "Can you believe it..." story. The reality is that anyone willing to confront a line of people in the restroom for access to the john almost certainly needs it more than you do. And the second you begin to think that nuisance in a powerchair or ECV has got it made you are inviting an unearthly level of karmic interest.

I will use a handicap stall if it's the only one available (all other stalls are occupied). I go in, do my business, and get out. I've been a victim of two bad knees (both of which have been through major surgery to be corrected), and I've been in need of those handicapped stalls in order to use the grab bars to stand up/sit down. That's why I will only use one if it's the only one unoccupied. I agree with previous posters; not everyone's need for a handicap stall is visible (wheelchair, etc.).

I am in a wheelchair. If it's open use it. Don't spend the afternoon reading the newspaper but use the stall.

The only time I really get irked is when you wait & wait and finally a non-handicapped cast member comes out (and all the other stalls were available. AND, NO they weren't cleaning it.)

This has happened to me on a number of occasions. Don't hog up the stall I need when you can use the cast members restrooms backstage.

I was in Disney two weekends ago and there was a line going into the ladies room. By the time I got into the door, there were about five women ahead of me waiting for empty stalls. I saw the handicapped stall was unoccupied and I asked the woman in front of me if she was gong to take it when she said "no", I jumped on in. There was nary a handicapped person in sight.

So, what is your opinion about handicapped stalls/ And if you feel that they are reserved for handicapped only, how handicapped does a person need to be? I will wait for a handicapped stall to open up and use it instead of a regular stall due to bad knees. I just can't get up off the lower toilets anymore and need the handrails. But, I am otherwise able bodied.
Handicapped stalls in bathrooms are not specifically reserved for the handicapped. Hence why you won't get a ticket for using one if you're not handicapped.

I use whatever stall is open. If my kids are with me I wait for the handicap or use it if its open. A lot of times that's where the changing station is anyways. It also gives me a place to park my stroller.

They are not meant to be exclusive just meant to be accessible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter