Handicapped Flight Assistance

We've never had to have our kids' birth certificates when we've sent them to Grandma's

:confused3 My nephew had to have his going from STL to DFW and back. He was 12 at the time, flying solo, and had to have it. He flew on AA and they checked it there and back. Different airlines or airports?

:confused3 My nephew had to have his going from STL to DFW and back. He was 12 at the time, flying solo, and had to have it. He flew on AA and they checked it there and back. Different airlines or airports?
It's up to the airline. Some require a BC for a child sitting in a lap, some don't.

A couple of weeks ago, we were trying to get out of MCO on Southwest and my 83 year old mother was getting us hung up at TSA. (we had cut it every close to begin with). I told my 11 and 13 her old to run ahead and jump on the flight and go without us. I would have called DH to meet them at the airport at home. We ended up making the flight with one minute to spare and when we boarded, there were my two, already seated. No birth certificates or identification required.

It's up to the airline. Some require a BC for a child sitting in a lap, some don't.

The BC for a child sitting on your lap is NOT up to the airline. It is an FDA requirement. Now, some airlines might sometimes not actually check, but they are (by law) supposed to do so. Even when the child is clearly under the age of two.

For other things (like special flight prices or programs) it is up to the airline.

The BC for a child sitting on your lap is NOT up to the airline. It is an FDA requirement. Now, some airlines might sometimes not actually check, but they are (by law) supposed to do so. Even when the child is clearly under the age of two.

For other things (like special flight prices or programs) it is up to the airline.
The FDA has nothing to do with air travel. And that's not true, there is no requirement for a lap child to produce a birth certificate. The only regulations are if a child under 2 has their own seat. How much trouble an airline could be in if it turns out a lap child isn't under 2 may be a different issue as to why they should require it, but the FAA doesn't.

The FDA has nothing to do with air travel. And that's not true, there is no requirement for a lap child to produce a birth certificate. The only regulations are if a child under 2 has their own seat. How much trouble an airline could be in if it turns out a lap child isn't under 2 may be a different issue as to why they should require it, but the FAA doesn't.

Sorry, typo (as I'm sure you guessed). I meant FAA.

Since your DD has never flown before, I would be so hesitant to have her fly by herself. .

Last edited:

The FAA governs the age at which a child must have his or her own seat, which is 24 months and older. I would assume airlines require a birth certificate for lap children to avoid FAA fines. And yes, they do usually ask for one if you're traveling with a lap child.

I honestly doubt any airline will do this. At 14 kids can fly solo, and any minor using the service (17 & under) has to have their birth certificate. ....

This is untrue. Children can fly on most airlines unaccompanied at age 5 and above. You have to pay for unaccompanied minor service until they are about 14 (although this depends on the airline), not 17. You do not have to show birth certificates. I have put my children (when they were minors) and various young relatives on planes unaccompanied many times, so am very familiar with the procedures.

It is true that no airline will provide unaccompanied minor service for a 25 year old. Your best bet is to pay for a companion ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter